Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #16
Jacobiahsj
Still Chippin' Away

portfolio
James Joyce
Illustrator
Manchester, United Kingdom

I would also be cautious about using gmail or similar free service providers. I use gmail and from experience some mail does not get through. It may be silently dropped due to corporate spam filters. For example I sent an email with a subject header, 'Cheers' which did not reach the intended recipient. The association with gmail and the short subject header meant that the message was dropped. You will normally get a non-delivery report though and it was not a major inconvenience but if it's important mail I would not take the risk.

Rusch Blog

Old 03-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #17
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusch
I would also be cautious about using gmail or similar free service providers. I use gmail and from experience some mail does not get through. It may be silently dropped due to corporate spam filters. For example I sent an email with a subject header, 'Cheers' which did not reach the intended recipient. The association with gmail and the short subject header meant that the message was dropped. You will normally get a non-delivery report though and it was not a major inconvenience but if it's important mail I would not take the risk.

That actually happens to every email, not just gmail.

And hopefully you wouldn't send important emails with 'cheers'

Old 03-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #18
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

Gmail is pretty much the default I see these days. No potential employer will give it a second thought, and Leigh is absolutely right - the instructor is an idiot to demand such a thing.

But fwiw, I'm not sure how founded the concerns are about gmail's security. Yes, they have access to all your emails and will data-mine the crap out of them. Does that present an actual security threat to you or your potential contacts? It's highly debatable and there doesn't seem to be much consensus among experts. Just know that your emails are being mined, cached, and stored somewhere. But for exactly what purpose, who knows? Honestly, listening to "security experts" talk about the nefarious practices of Google is like listening to Dennis Hopper in Apocalypse Now.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #19
DanHibiki
Expert

portfolio
- -
Senior 3d Animator
Invivo communications
Richmond Hill, Canada

Which is frankly what all the other free e-mail providers do, as well as any of the cloud services that people buy in to.

At least you know that Google is far safer will all your data then the rest.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #20
NanoGator

portfolio
Brian Pace
Modeller, Scripter
Feature Film
Los Angeles, USA

Send a message via ICQ to NanoGator Send a message via Yahoo to NanoGator
I've had my gmail account since almost the day it came out, no issues.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #21
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoGator
I've had my gmail account since almost the day it came out, no issues.

Unless you have committed a felony and the DA has subpoenaed Google to get your emails, it's not likely you would have had any "issues" with gmail. I think that's the point about security. Also, while your emails may not contain information vital to the survival of the Rebellion, someone's likely do, and that server can be hacked and the plans stolen.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #22
NanoGator

portfolio
Brian Pace
Modeller, Scripter
Feature Film
Los Angeles, USA

Send a message via ICQ to NanoGator Send a message via Yahoo to NanoGator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artbot
Unless you have committed a felony and the DA has subpoenaed Google to get your emails, it's not likely you would have had any "issues" with gmail.

Why is Google unique in this regard? If your email has been subpoenaed, they're going to get it.

Quote:
I think that's the point about security. Also, while your emails may not contain information vital to the survival of the Rebellion, someone's likely do, and that server can be hacked and the plans stolen.

Same question. Your email address contains the very information anybody needs to locate your server in an attempt to hack it. Since you cannot obscure that information, your next line of defense is to have your email provider offer some sort of protection. Would you rather that be Google or the Internet King?

Old 03-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #23
BColbourn
Know-it-All

portfolio
Ben Colbourn
Bay area, USA

if a recruiter is passing over portfolios because of a gmail address, they are doing their job wrong.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #24
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoGator
Same question. Your email address contains the very information anybody needs to locate your server in an attempt to hack it. Since you cannot obscure that information, your next line of defense is to have your email provider offer some sort of protection. Would you rather that be Google or the Internet King?

My point is that I'd be more concerned with Google's (lack of) security if I were transmitting sensitive information, which I am not. If you are transmitting sensitive info, there's many ways to do that safely. I'm guessing the OP's use of gmail to apply for jobs is not a security issue, but is whether it appears unprofessional (it doesn't).

Old 03-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #25
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Since we are talking about CG, Gmail is fine.

I do understand the security issues. But even in this case, this will be handled AFTER you received the job. I know banks that dispose all email with any images attached, and also bigger than certain size limit. This is both inbound and outbound emails. But you will get you own company email after getting the job, and this is handled by the HR and the Job service company (Jobs DB, Monster, and what not).

And yeah, in the security circuit, I know that some company WILL NOT receive any email from @gmail or allow any email send to it. I heard stories goes around at the same time of the Petrious/CIA case.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #26
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

I once advised a student that d3sturb3d0ne@gmail.com probably wasn't a good address for his resume but gmail itself is fine.

Quote:
But fwiw, I'm not sure how founded the concerns are about gmail's security.

Their security on the business side is very good. I have a few clients with them and I've never had a problem. It's cool having an actual PHONE NUMBER for support. On the free side, I've had my account from the get go and other than some stupid moves on my part I'd say it's pretty good.

We have some top-secret clients that won't accept them at all but that is true of any free email.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #27
plastic
Down With The Industry

portfolio
Marc Lorenz
Vienna, Austria

Actually a mail sent from gmail.com is more likely to get delivered than anything coming from a private mailserver. It happens fast that you slip into a blacklisted IP range, because some other mailserver in the address block is hacked and used for sending spam. This can easily happen to your mailserver too btw. I saw this at the previous office where I was working.
If you think that you, or some shitty webspace provider, can setup things better and more secure than google can, you are being delusional.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:22 PM   #28
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic
It happens fast that you slip into a blacklisted IP range, because some other mailserver in the address block is hacked and used for sending spam. This can easily happen to your mailserver too btw. I saw this at the previous office where I was working.

Yes, this can happen. I've had to fix this problem many times and the mailserver owner had done nothing wrong.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 03-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #29
lo
the frequentest!
portfolio
Rotem Shiffman
Tel Aviv, Israel

I think this e-mail issue is so inconsequential to your career that even discussing it here is a waste of your time better spent learning something new.

Could you imagine this conversation?

Quote:
-Hey, Frank! Check out this killer showreel!
-Wow, that is incredible. We should get this guy here for an interview ASAP!
-Excellent, I'll e-mail him right awa... UH OH! fancycat@gmail.com?
-That unprofessional scum! I'm going to make sure he'll never work in this town again!

Last edited by lo : 03-12-2013 at 09:28 PM.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #30
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

William Vaughan once made the suggestion to not use a handle. For many years he had gone by Proton and that he was more identifiable by the handle than his actual name. This lead to problems with potential work because they had never heard of William Vaughan.

(I think Proton said it, it was many years ago. )
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Thread Closed share thread