Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-11-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
unclebob
MALA IPSA NOVA

the bob
b/cs, USA

Do you have provisions for your digital art i case you kick the bucket

There is a segment on Newshour (PBS) about what happens to your online world in the event you die. Most social media terms of use prevent you from giving away your password in your will (as said in the segment), so that got me to wondering. What happens to ones digital artwork and accounts on sites like this? Which led me to furthur ponder, do your family, friends etc. know the CG sites you go to, where your artwork is and what you want done with it in the event you expire.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

Although I don't personally want to consider this mere weeks before I hit 18, you do raise a good point.
I remember a couple of years ago on another site reading a post from a man whose wife did CG characters as a hobby (I think they were DAZ characters and items). But she got sick and died on him and rather than letting her content rot on her computer, he gave it away free to anyone who wanted to develop it further. Of course I'm not suggesting everyone does this, just that what the man did was a nice way of keeping her work alive in one form or another.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:26 AM   #3
cubiclegangster
Expert
portfolio
Neil Griffiths
Miami, United%2BStates

Send a message via MSN to cubiclegangster
Assuming the work i'd done wasnt tied down legally to anyone else (partners, companies) i'd be totally ok with giving it all away. I already want to donate my body and it's basically the digital version.
I'm not using it, so someone else may aswell have a poke around and if they learn something then that's pretty cool.

'No passwords in the will' seems like it'd be easy to get around. If you happen to keep all your passwords in a file on a computer and someone ends up finding them after you die then they can do as they wish to your accounts.

Last edited by cubiclegangster : 03-12-2013 at 12:30 AM.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:08 AM   #4
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Most of your work will disappear once you stop paying your server bills. Only on sites like zbrush central where you have to upload images to their servers would your work live on.

I personally never think about it. Life is way too much fun as it is, eat like a pig, fight like a bull and f, like a dragon I say

Old 03-12-2013, 04:01 AM   #5
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob
There is a segment on Newshour (PBS) about what happens to your online world in the event you die. Most social media terms of use prevent you from giving away your password in your will (as said in the segment), so that got me to wondering. What happens to ones digital artwork and accounts on sites like this? Which led me to furthur ponder, do your family, friends etc. know the CG sites you go to, where your artwork is and what you want done with it in the event you expire.

Sites like this and others don't own your work, they just display it.
It's like wondering "once I die, who will go to the meetings/congregations/mass/gettogethers/siggraphs/whatever in my stead?". Or "what will happen to letters I've already sent?".

The answer is: "bugger all".

Things that expire will disappear, and your digital footprint might endure months, or years, or centuries in various archives, vaults and internet time machines, but it's just that, your footprint.

The work you've done, if it can generate further income, is your responsibility to document and make available to whoever you will your possessions to. If you don't do that, much like other "virtual" possessions that enter limbo once the person dies, they will disappear with you other than what you left behind, and what people might or might not derivate from your work, illicitly or not.

I find it perfectly acceptable that my mailbox with Google and my Facebook account are tied to me as a person, much the same way nobody could truly write a letter in my stead after my death. Those are personal things, even if the line is blurred by how people use them, and how versatile they are as communication means.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 03-12-2013, 04:27 AM   #6
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
And this is why everyone should achieve their dream - TODAY.
Not tomorrow - TODAY.

Because as Raffaelle said.. when it's your time... it's "bugger all" time.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO
The answer is: "bugger all".

Exactly.
Couldn't have put it better.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #8
grrinc
Expert

There are legal service that carry out your online instructions upon your demise. As I start to notice parts of my previously God like body start to konk out, I do think about my digital presence and how all the loose ends could be tidied up.

I think it is worth looking into it. Even if it is to pass ownership to loved ones. Being dead sure adds a premium.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Been thinking the same too, having buried my father last month.

But I have nothing that people could use, with this being just a hobby and all. And most thing is on my hard disk (with dock), and unprotected (without password). The only useful thing on my PC that is good for humanity is BOINC running WCG.

Now that I think about it, KIVA.ORG have autolend option that user can activate. Other than that, no worries.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
cobra6
Expert

portfolio
Joep Peters
Modelling & Texture Artist
United Kingdom

I guess your parents or family would browse through your favourites and notify each of them you passed on, at least that's what I hope mine will do in the unlikely event....

Cobra 6
LinkedIn

Old 03-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #11
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga
Life is way too much fun as it is, eat like a pig, fight like a bull and f, like a dragon I say

I'd drink to that, if it was Friday/payday.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #12
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

I like the "in case" in the thread title, as if there's some chance that death isn't a certainty. Now that's optimism :-)

Old 03-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
NanoGator

portfolio
Brian Pace
Modeller, Scripter
Feature Film
Los Angeles, USA

Send a message via ICQ to NanoGator Send a message via Yahoo to NanoGator
Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
I like the "in case" in the thread title, as if there's some chance that death isn't a certainty. Now that's optimism :-)

I'm wearing immortality bracelets.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #14
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

I have considered this topic in the past. It's funny because I have all of these different places that I exist online and my wife doesn't have a clue about any of it.

Create a written/printed list (as in on paper) of every site and the usernames passwords associated with them and what their uses were. This is standard practice in the business world (covering the what if you're hit by a bus scenario) so it's easy enough to adopt that for your personal life as well. Of course, like the business world, I haven't done it.

Like Kanga said, eventually whoever will change credit cards or payment methods, payments will lapse and the problem will take care of itself.

I guess the other thought I have is, after making friends with people from around the world, some I talk to every night online. Would they ever know why I just stopped showing up one day?
Have a nice day.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 03-12-2013, 07:35 PM   #15
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattHarris
It's funny because I have all of these different places that I exist online and my wife doesn't have a clue about any of it.

Thread Closed share thread