Shadowlich
Blender Head
portfolio
Andrei Belean
USA

Pixar's Senior Scientist explains math's relation to movies and games

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/7/40...es-movies-games
Quote:
Computer animation, DeRose says, frequently deals with modeling objects at greater scale and detail than even physicists typically deal with in their computations. Much of his work involves finding better algorithms to intelligently approximate this kind of scale without sacrificing detail. "Directors will say, 'oh, it's just a small thing in the background, we'll never see it.' Directors lie," DeRose explained. And if every time a director changed his or her mind, objects or characters had to have their underlying physics redesigned from scratch, it would be impossible for Pixar to make a movie every year, with four teams working at once.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

Thanks but the mere mention of the M word puts me off looking.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:10 AM   #3
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Well, if you didn't read it then you missed this remark by Pixar Senior Scientist Tony DeRose:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIXAR, Open Source Software, and the Future of Animation
DeRose and the research team at Pixar continue to publish papers and apply new techniques to their software engines, but the studio doesn't have the same lead in R&D and proprietary software it once had. Controlling lighting and shading or defining the parameters for a character marionette used to be huge challenges to mathematically define and then engineer code. Now, says DeRose, open-source software like Blender can do almost everything Pixar's software can do. Last summer, Pixar even open-sourced its subdivision surface code library. "We had a competitive advantage for ten years," DeRose says, "but now we get more value by letting everyone contribute."

Pixar's biggest competitive advantage now is its ability to use this math-driven technology not to make better shapes but to tell better stories. DeRose and Pixar aren't sitting on their laurels. "Somewhere out there, a brilliant kid and their friends are working in their garage" using and improving on tools like Blender, DeRose tells the assembled children and adults at MoMath. "They will be the next Pixar."

It ties into what George Lucas predicted years ago with the explosion of people being able to make their own VFX films.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

George Lucas is probably right. The local college had a showing last year of some short movies, adverts and teasers done by current and former students. I'm no movie expert, but I have to say I was bowled over by some of the stuff I seen. Knowing quite a few of those lads and girls personally, I have an idea of where they are going and have seen some of them make animated actors that I just can't tell from the real live ones.
My Dad came to the college showing just to see what all this CG stuff is about, and it was the first time I seen him stare in disbelief. He said that watching the totally CG produced advert clips was like seeing his photography livliehood going down the drain, and he may as well hang up his cameras soon. The CG actors, well he couldn't belief they were CG. Uncanny Valley might soon be a thing of the past, and it could be lads working away at home in attics and garages who crack it.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:31 AM   #5
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillster
George Lucas is probably right. The local college had a showing last year of some short movies, adverts and teasers done by current and former students. I'm no movie expert, but I have to say I was bowled over by some of the stuff I seen. Knowing quite a few of those lads and girls personally, I have an idea of where they are going and have seen some of them make animated actors that I just can't tell from the real live ones.
My Dad came to the college showing just to see what all this CG stuff is about, and it was the first time I seen him stare in disbelief. He said that watching the totally CG produced advert clips was like seeing his photography livliehood going down the drain, and he may as well hang up his cameras soon. The CG actors, well he couldn't belief they were CG. Uncanny Valley might soon be a thing of the past, and it could be lads working away at home in attics and garages who crack it.

Any of these clips on YouTube or Vimeo by any chance?

Old 03-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

Some of them probably are. I'll ask the lads and post links of any that are up.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread