Vancouver Sun Editorial : Hollywood North loses lustre

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Vancouver Sun Editorial : Hollywood North loses lustre

Rob Note: I will post Editorial here on GD since by definition they are opinion pieces.

Quote:
"s Hollywood North over?

Allisa Swanson thinks so. After 16 years in the B.C. film industry outfitting the stars of movies, TV shows and movies of the week, the Leo Award-winning costume designer is literally closing up shop and heading east with her husband, Vance Vegas Salvalaggio, a lighting designer and special effects artist.

Swanson sent out a press release announcing her shop, Unforgettable Costumes -- which was created in 2007 to provide high quality costumes for local productions -- was going out of business because she and Salvalaggio didn’t want to be the last ones on what they see as a sinking ship.

“The proof is in the numbers. Our rentals for 2012 were down 86 per cent.”"

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=8037251
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 03 March 2013   #2
Ontario and Quebec have always invested in domestic productions, BC was mostly content to live off Hollywood productions and only talked about it when a Hollywood strike or dollar fluctuation occurred and shut the work tap off here. I believe the performer's union here had/has draconian rules for actors to work on low budget films and some of the higher up BC film crew people most upset about the job losses speak with disdain about building domestic content. They just want the runway productions back and don't want to relocate to the East.

Brightlight Pictures produces Uwe Boll films.

There have been other recent articles with different numbers on how many jobs are lost, how many exist, whether BC ever had Third Largest Film Production Center status in the first place. Rather confusing.

Given that the government here is notoriously corrupt and incompetent and drives its party into near extinction after a few elections (then the other party gets in and does the same) I am not surprised if the money giveaway to Hollywood started here and that it was at a loss to the taxpayer.

They call it incentives and not subsidies, but they also used to say Hollywood came here because of the locations and great crews and ignored comments by Hollywood studio personnel that it was actually because it was cheaper.
BC did not bring Hollywood to BC. It came on its own in the 20s, left on its own in the 40s, and came back on its own terms in the 70s.

There's some infighting going on in these save BC film groups now---wanting to be more vocal and aggressive in forcing the government to offer matching tax whatevers with Ontario and Quebec.
I dont think they pay much attention to what happens outside with Louisiana, Romania, or Chinawood.

Toronto has the new Pinewood studio--I wonder if the builders considered BC at all for that project, or were we too busy with the Winter Olympics and real estate.

Old 03 March 2013   #3
Another article--mentions setting up an agency to deal with domestic content creation.
We'll see.

http://cupwire.ca/articles/54656

Old 03 March 2013   #4
Originally Posted by kelgy: ......Given that the government here is notoriously corrupt and incompetent and drives its party into near extinction after a few elections (then the other party gets in and does the same) I am not surprised if the money giveaway to Hollywood started here and that it was at a loss to the taxpayer......

Oh yeah, the taxpayer will get stiffed no matter what way the government moves.

Old 03 March 2013   #5
http://www.bcbusiness.ca/tourism-cu...s-film-industry

Most exhibitors predictably stressed the importance of the products and services they were there to sell, but others offered interesting advice independent B.C. filmmakers could follow right now, even in the absence of cash from Hollywood. Here’s a little sample:

“You have to know who is watching your film and how they’re reacting to your film. As buyer and seller, from an acquisition point of view of Asian countries, Canadian films are really domestic. Even if it’s an English speaking, Caucasian movie, Canadian films seem quite different from U.S. movies. I see almost no Canadian films in Japanese cinema. Nobody’s buying Canadian films. They are buying U.S. films. What’s the difference? I think the storytelling is pretty domestic. You are telling a story of just five minutes around you. The theme or topic is not universal. If you’re making money domestically, that’s fine. But if you need to go global, then you have to know the market demands.”
—Yuko Shiomaki, producer, Pictures Dept. Co. Ltd., Hayama, Japan

Old 03 March 2013   #6
We have an election coming in May... let's see what happens between now and then.

The vocabulary used needs to change from subsidy to investment in jobs because without the province's commitment to invest in the projects coming here, those jobs will go elsewhere and then 25,000+ people won't be able to pay income taxes, won't be paying taxes on the things they purchase (where the businesses also pay taxes) AND they'll likely be forced to go on social assistance which is a direct cost to the government.

I don't understand why the powers that be don't understand this simple equation.

Last edited by Pixanaut : 03 March 2013 at 01:04 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #7
People used to come to BC because the social assistance was better than Ontario.

I suspect the government doesnt want to get into a competition with Ontario and we are still paying the debt from the Olympics which I understand usually digs the host into a financial hole for a long time.
They cleaned the street outside my place a dozen or more times so the torch could go by for a few seconds at 5 am.
When it comes to film vs real estate interests (which were big supporters of the Olympics bid) real estate wins out.

Old 03 March 2013   #8
Originally Posted by kelgy: When it comes to film vs real estate interests (which were big supporters of the Olympics bid) real estate wins out.

That doesn't bode well for the industry since all of the major studios in town are on prime land owned by real estate companies. If they don't see their returns, we'll see condos in their place.

Old 03 March 2013   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread