SimCity DRM, what lessons to be learned?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by seanser: So I suppose the question arises, how do these companies protect their investment from piracy and not punish the paying customers in the process?

It's simple, really. Respect your customers and offer good value for money. Anything else is just going to backfire on you in the long run.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Kanga: People are not going to stop buying and playing games just because of the inconveinience of online protection, and regardless of how you feel the cloud is coming so hold onto your shoestrings.

Yeah, that cold black cloud is comin' down...

03 March 2013
Ive been looking forward to this for a while, and its almost criminal what theyve done to the franchise. I was all ready to buy it a few days ago, but then noticed the entire planet gets it 2-3 days before the UK.. seriously why? Literally every country on the planet gets it from 5th March, the UK release 8th. Ok so Ill go buy it, the buy button in chrome doesnt work, you need IE or firefox.. classy. But whilst im clicking the buy button I notice theres 2 versions; regular, or one which includes all the content for 65.... 65!? For a model of big ben and a red double decker bus, I could go on turbosquid, buy the models and make them myself for less than theyre charging.

While waiting for the UK launch, I had a look at a few reviews, whilst it looks nice enough, the land plots are minuscule and im virtually forced to play with a bunch of other people I dont want to? sod that, I want to make my city, not have it held random by some other guy who doesnt want to build the items we're all going to need.

Then theres EAs track record on closing servers as soon as people stop buying the game, even if there are significant numbers of people still playing. Some of their 2010 sports titles had their servers shut down towards the end of 2011.

03 March 2013
comment removed

Last edited by ragdoll : 09 September 2013 at 05:17 PM.

03 March 2013
This links back to the recent Steam thread about being able to sell on games or other digital goods. We are lectured that digital content should have different rules than physical goods because of piracy.

Any goods, digital or not should be treated the same. If they are unfit for purchase or mis sold, then they should be returnable for full refund.

The buying public needs to have their rights back.

03 March 2013
This is going to damage EA more then they think. I will stick with my Simcity 4 thank you very much.

03 March 2013
There was much yammering and gnashing of teeth!
So the big company that bought out cheap consoles and pumped huge sums into development of games and the selling thereof is trying to make money? Companies like this who employ many of you? Companies that give you 200 hours plus enjoyment for the price of a couple of theater tickets and that on a regular basis.

Oh the shame.

It reminds me of the 'What have the Romans ever done for us?' sequence.

Well apart from aqueducts, schools, hospitals, technology, medicine, literature, theater, art and yes many games, what have the Romans ever done for us?

03 March 2013
comment removed

Last edited by ragdoll : 09 September 2013 at 05:17 PM.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Kanga: There was much yammering and gnashing of teeth!
So the big company that bought out cheap consoles and pumped huge sums into development of games and the selling thereof is trying to make money?

That big company that employs lots of artists is having to give away free copies of games (at a loss) because their ill-thought attempt at pursuing money pissed off their paying customers... and lots of people working in related industries are upset about it? Faces on stun! How could they not be happy about the impending round of layoffs this will inevitably cause?

I will never understand why there are some that think paying more for less functionality is acceptable. Seriously, there's always one of these people around that has to chime in as if anybody ever said making a profit is bad.

03 March 2013
Generalities like the ship is sinking, many will suffer, the sky is falling and there is always someone that has to chime in are comments we all inevitably have to suffer everytime there is a hiccup with a release of anything.

Quote: That big company that employs lots of artists is having to give away free copies of games (at a loss) because their ill-thought attempt at pursuing money pissed off their paying customers... and lots of people working in related industries are upset about it? Faces on stun! How could they not be happy about the impending round of layoffs this will inevitably cause?

Talk about an unsupported shot in the dark. I want the numbers on my desk in the morning.

03 March 2013
I dont mind what steam does as such. Sure its DRM and you need to activate it online, but it strikes a reasonable balance. I can play portal etc offline as much as I like, with no net connection, with EAs pointless fluff, I was hoping to install it on the laptop and waste hours of time building a city whilst travelling, but I have no net connection on the train. So the entire game is now offlimits all because they want some paranoid 'phone home to check hes not a pirate' system which theyve hardly made excusable under the guise of "but its multiplayer, you have to be online!"

03 March 2013
comment removed

Last edited by ragdoll : 09 September 2013 at 05:18 PM.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Kanga: Generalities like the ship is sinking, many will suffer, the sky is falling and there is always someone that has to chime in are comments we all inevitably have to suffer everytime there is a hiccup with a release of anything.

So many people cannot play the game EA has suspended marketing of it. Heh, yeah, that's a hiccup.

Originally Posted by Kanga: Talk about an unsupported shot in the dark. I want the numbers on my desk in the morning.

That was reaaaally poor phrasing on my part. It was meant to be hypothetical and, well I utterly failed to communicate that idea. I apologize.

However...

You have people who have paid for the game but cannot play it. How does that: A.) Bode well for their profits (needed to employ people, a point YOU brought up.)...? B.) Justify the use of DRM even though it is only punishing legit customers? C.) Maintain customer good-will for future profits needed to keep these companies employed? D.) ... imply in any way that profit is, at all, what anybody is upset about?

I know it's fashionable to some to make a 'sky is falling' potshot, but frankly the consumers have managed to make some ground pushing back against EA and Ubisoft. That isn't happening because it's a bunch of noise about nothing.

03 March 2013
EA is probably my most hated company.

First they shut down the LOTR: BFME 2 servers. OK, it's kind of an old game. I get that.

Then they pulled a move on BioWare and rushed Mass Effect 3 out the door.

Now this? This company has really clonked my bonkers as of late.

Everything should seriously just run off steam. I've never had a problem with Valve.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by triwa: EA is probably my most hated company.

First they shut down the LOTR: BFME 2 servers. OK, it's kind of an old game. I get that.

Then they pulled a move on BioWare and rushed Mass Effect 3 out the door.

Now this? This company has really clonked my bonkers as of late.

Everything should seriously just run off steam. I've never had a problem with Valve.

Their restrictive licensing on Spore incensed their customers so much Amazon was flooded with one-star reviews. EA partially relented and loosened the restrictions.

Thread Closed share thread