CGTalk > Main > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Old 03-09-2013, 02:12 AM   #31
There is never a shortage of studios and even mom and pop businesses (saw a sign shop doing this) trying to take advantage of artists eager to get their foot in the door or just find some creative work in a rotten economy, abusing the extent that they are deliberately supplementing their workforce with unpaid interns. State and federal laws (in the US) are very clear that "businesses may receive no immediate benefit (yes, that includes financial gain)" from the work of an unpaid intern. Basically, if they are doing production/commercial work (that the company would otherwise have to hire help for), they are required to adhere to minimum wage laws.

Just like crack software usage, many just thumb their noses at the law, and the result is that yes, the company/studio was able to make a more competitive bid. But at the expense of leaving good artists out of work and exploiting/using a young artist desperate to find work, himself/herself.

Funny, a lot of the same folks who are bitter about the greed of BIG OIL and Big Corporations...are guilty of pulling the same stunt. Just on a smaller scale.

I have little reason to doubt that Digital Domain was doing this very thing, and on a large scale...even trying to charge tuition to do production work for them. With R&H exploiting cheap labor oversees, I doubt they refrained from profiting from the exploitation of unpaid interns. So, I have no tears to shed for either studio, to be honest. Karma is exacting its seems to me.

Last edited by AbnRanger : 03-09-2013 at 02:22 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:01 AM   #32
Brian Pace
Modeller, Scripter
Feature Film
Los Angeles, USA
Send a message via ICQ to NanoGator Send a message via Yahoo to NanoGator
'Freeism' is an entirely separate issue from what happened to R&H. I really don't think it's a good idea to mix agendas.
Maestro 2 is out!
Old 03-09-2013, 04:26 AM   #33
Marc Khachfe
3d animator
Zebra Crossing
North London, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by LordMcGoat
Couldn't be more wrong. Some VFX houses pay overtime, most don't (except weekends).

So take a stroll around many of the big shops after 6pm, and you'll find plenty of people working for free on big commercials and films. In return, they're more likely to get noticed and promoted over those who go home on the dot, and the downside is that they're hugely devaluing themselves and their fellow artists.

This is coming from someone who's done more hours of unpaid overtime than I'd care to mention, but being a hypocrite gets me off the hook in this instance, since I get to slag off huge swathes of the VFX community under the guise of self-loathing.

Im not talking about overtime. Lots of people in lots of different fields dont get paid overtime. Im not saying its right, it most certainly isnt, but thats not what i was talking about
Old 03-09-2013, 07:51 AM   #34
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz
This might help the conversation:
Free culture movement
"The free culture movement is a social movement that promotes the freedom to distribute and modify creative works in the form of free content[1][2] by using the Internet and other forms of media.
The movement objects to overly-restrictive copyright laws. Many members of the movement argue that such laws hinder creativity. They call this system "permission culture".[3]"

All the leaders of the free culture movement, like Lessig or Doctorow, still firmly believe that artists and writers commissioned to create something should be paid for what they do.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #35
Mark Wellington
Everett, USA
Nothing is free. Just like energy cannot be created from nothing, neither can value. Most people and businesses giving away stuff "for free" do it in hopes of generating back value indirectly, with a premium.

This is why we have the rich and the poor- the rich get their value back while the poor give it away and get nothing back. "Think about it" (tm)
Thread Closed share thread