CGTalk > Main Forums > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 11:57 PM   #1
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite
 
CGIPadawan's Avatar
Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,828
Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
"Dorothy of Oz" - CG Animated Film Trailer

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JJFqAODGH8

Produced by Summertime Entertainment, with animation by Prana Studio.

Prana was also the animation studio behind a Bollywood talking dogs CG film called "Koochie Koochie Hota Hai". The leap in quality from that to this one is simply incredible.
__________________
"Your most creative work is pre-production, once the film is in production, demands on time force you to produce rather than create."
REVERSION
 
Old 03-08-2013, 05:19 AM   #2
AangtheAvatar
Banned
portfolio
Aang Airbender
Air Temple, USA
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 194
It honestly doesn't look very good. It looked almost like a mockbuster. Maybe a step-up from TV animation. Doesn't really look like a high budget film.

Definitely does not look like a 60 million dollar budget film.

Last edited by AangtheAvatar : 03-08-2013 at 05:23 AM.
 
Old 03-09-2013, 01:04 AM   #3
Kanga
KillaRoo
 
Kanga's Avatar
portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 9,566
Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
I have to agree. This stuff isn't looking too hot. Some of the characters look off. This is not one I would watch.
__________________
The terminal velocity of individual particles is directly related to pink rabbits on a bank holiday.
Characters, Games, Toys
 
Old 03-09-2013, 01:36 AM   #4
Tama
Expert
Tony Brighton
Saudi Arabia
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 638
Here are just a few taken from rotten tomatoe's
comments that might shatter the bs that the public wants more cgfx

"It was charm, humor and great acting that made the original film so great. This new movie looks like a bunch of masturbatory special effects. "

"I hate CGI with a passion so you know I agree with you. "

"This movie looks like someone puked all over the screen and they used it for CGI. CGI looks best when it is used to enhance live action, like Gollum in LOTR. I think green screen should be used only when absolutely necessary when there is no other way to do the shot. It has 70% now which means it will be lucky to have 50-60% when all the reviews are in. "
 
Old 03-09-2013, 02:22 AM   #5
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite
 
CGIPadawan's Avatar
Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,828
Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga
I have to agree. This stuff isn't looking too hot. Some of the characters look off. This is not one I would watch.


Well I was talking about a difference..

I mean on a scale of one to ten......four minus one is still a difference of three.
__________________
"Your most creative work is pre-production, once the film is in production, demands on time force you to produce rather than create."
REVERSION
 
Old 03-09-2013, 02:26 AM   #6
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite
 
CGIPadawan's Avatar
Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,828
Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama
Here are just a few taken from rotten tomatoe's
comments that might shatter the bs that the public wants more cgfx

"It was charm, humor and great acting that made the original film so great. This new movie looks like a bunch of masturbatory special effects. "

"I hate CGI with a passion so you know I agree with you. "

"This movie looks like someone puked all over the screen and they used it for CGI. CGI looks best when it is used to enhance live action, like Gollum in LOTR. I think green screen should be used only when absolutely necessary when there is no other way to do the shot. It has 70% now which means it will be lucky to have 50-60% when all the reviews are in. "


Some of these people could be the same people who thought Richard Parker was a trained tiger on-set....

Also.. not sure if the quotes you placed refer to "Dorothy of Oz" (all animation) or "Oz the Great and Powerful" (live action with VFX).
__________________
"Your most creative work is pre-production, once the film is in production, demands on time force you to produce rather than create."
REVERSION
 
Old 03-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
ThreeDeeMacGee
Veteran
portfolio
Phil
Dartmouth, Canada
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
Prana was also the animation studio behind a Bollywood talking dogs CG film called "Koochie Koochie Hota Hai". The leap in quality from that to this one is simply incredible.


They also animated the "Tinkerbell" films, "Space Chimps 2" and did additional effects in "Transformers: Dark of The Moon", "The Watch" and "TRON Legacy"

As for the film itself. I'm staying clear of it. India shouldn't really be jumping into the theatrical animation business. The animation's just only slightly above an average TV show (Yes, this does include live action; sorry "Game of Thrones" fans) and I swear I thought I saw rough edges around the Jester's crystal ball. I will admit the smoke effects and the design of the tree were cool, but that's it.

Plus after what films like "Delgo", "Happily N'ever After", "Chicken Little" and "Foodfight" have wrought, I don't think fully CG films (especially theatrical) under $70-80 million should be made.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by ThreeDeeMacGee : 03-09-2013 at 08:21 PM.
 
Old 03-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #8
AangtheAvatar
Banned
portfolio
Aang Airbender
Air Temple, USA
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 194
Quote:
Plus after what films like "Delgo", "Happily N'ever After", "Chicken Little" and "Foodfight" have wrought, I don't think fully CG films (especially theatrical) under $70-80 million should be made


Despicable Me was made for 69 million.
TMNT 34 Million
Astroboy 65 Million
Clonewars 8.5 Million
Toy Story 30 Million
Shrek 60

They all looked pretty good. Which makes me think why all the other ones cost 100-200 to make.

In fact why did Toy Story 1 cost 30 and Toystory 2 cost 92 mil to make? Then 3 cost 200 million...? er??? That doesn't make sense. Especially between 1 and 2. Only 3 years elapsed between the 2. They look the same in way of quality. It cost 3xs more to make? Inflation? 300%?

You can make a cg film for less than 70 and it still look good. You can make it for 20 and still look good. You budget right, stylize, use tricks, play with style and make it interesting it is possible.

In fact I bet you can give 400,000 a piece to 40 artists who have the right speed and mentality and you could turn out a Pixar level film in 2 years, working from home. Throw in a render farm and good voice actors and sound guy using no more than 2 million and you got a film. I don't know why execs haven't really thought of that.

This movie looks like garbage in general. There are hints of goodness there but for the most part garbage. Less than TV quality animation.

Heck "Riders of Berk" is about 2 million per episode to make, so for about 2 hours of film would be about 14 million.

Last edited by AangtheAvatar : 03-09-2013 at 09:40 PM.
 
Old 03-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #9
Kanga
KillaRoo
 
Kanga's Avatar
portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 9,566
Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
I didn't think of any countries when watching the trailer. I thought the main character girls were done pretty well but the monsters looked a bit like Colin's bear. We are not talking 70 mil for those.
__________________
The terminal velocity of individual particles is directly related to pink rabbits on a bank holiday.
Characters, Games, Toys
 
Old 03-09-2013, 10:51 PM   #10
ThreeDeeMacGee
Veteran
portfolio
Phil
Dartmouth, Canada
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AangtheAvatar
Despicable Me was made for 69 million.
TMNT 34 Million
Astroboy 65 Million
Clonewars 8.5 Million
Toy Story 30 Million
Shrek 60

They all looked pretty good. Which makes me think why all the other ones cost 100-200 to make.


I concede to everyone of those bar "Clone Wars". It's too stiff and under-animated. Plus the landscapes looked bland.
 
Old 03-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #11
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite
 
CGIPadawan's Avatar
Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,828
Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
It's really the Theory of Relativity of Production.... I admit even I don't understand the gaps in budget numbers....

I am starting to think though that the 3-digit millions are really publicity figures (or so many studios wouldn't be closing).
__________________
"Your most creative work is pre-production, once the film is in production, demands on time force you to produce rather than create."
REVERSION
 
Old 03-09-2013, 11:55 PM   #12
AangtheAvatar
Banned
portfolio
Aang Airbender
Air Temple, USA
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 194
I could watch a whole movie in this style and don't think it would take even 1 million to make.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-sH53vXP2A
 
Old 03-10-2013, 12:41 AM   #13
Meloncov
Expert
 
Meloncov's Avatar
portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by AangtheAvatar
In fact why did Toy Story 1 cost 30 and Toystory 2 cost 92 mil to make? Then 3 cost 200 million...? er??? That doesn't make sense. Especially between 1 and 2. Only 3 years elapsed between the 2. They look the same in way of quality. It cost 3xs more to make? Inflation? 300%?


Toy Story 2's budget was driven way up due to huge last minute story changes. They nearly made two movies.

Plus, I really don't think the visual quality is the same, especially comparing the human characters.
__________________
kevinbakercg.com
 
Old 03-10-2013, 12:59 AM   #14
ThreeDeeMacGee
Veteran
portfolio
Phil
Dartmouth, Canada
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloncov
Plus, I really don't think the visual quality is the same, especially comparing the human characters.


Yeah, technology improved from 1995 to 1999. They also made the humans a tad more stylized, but I digress.
 
Old 03-10-2013, 01:41 AM   #15
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer
 
Lunatique's Avatar
CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 8,673

The lighting is probably the worst I've seen in a CG animated feature film in a long time.
 
Thread Closed share thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.