If The Foundry made a node-based image/photo editor, would you buy it?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a node-based image editor by The Foundry?
Hells yes. Photoshop hurts my brain and kills my creativity 30 24.00%
Mmmm, sounds promising but I want to see it in action first 59 47.20%
You would have to offer up something special for me to change my current workflow 16 12.80%
Not really, I know Photoshop inside and out and I have no problems with it. 20 16.00%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
If The Foundry made a node-based image/photo editor, would you buy it?

With the recent cloud-based Adobe cloud-based announcement where cloud-based Adobe cloud-based software will only be available cloud-based online with an internet cloud-based yearly subscription cloud-based, I am not too keen on how Adobe is doing things*

After using node-based compositing software for a few years (Shake, Fusion and Nuke), going back to Photoshop layers is like working with a chisel and stone. It is very slow and unintuitive and not easy to quickly mess with new ideas. Selections/masks/groups are especially annoying.

Now, I know that Photoshop is the defacto standard and a lot of artists and photographers swear by it (and at it), but given The Foundry's advancement of Nuke and its suite of various plugins, if they were to release a 2D node based image editor, would you be willing to switch?

To me, The Foundry seems to be about "we have streamlined these tools and interface after watching production artists to produce a sleek, powerful tool" whereas Adobe has become "We need to make more money this quarter, how can we move people onto subscriptions. Oh yeah, here's a new feature. No, we are not changing the interface."

_____
Edited for cloud-based

Old 03 March 2013   #2
Adobe is cheap compared to Foundrys products.

Old 03 March 2013   #3
I would assume they price it competitively.

I would also suggest that, whether it's Adobe, the Foundry or Autodesk, "subscriptions" are not designed to be cheap. They are designed to offset the purchase of expensive software one time and not getting any more money for it by having you buy it every year with the ability to turn it off if you don't keep paying (in my opinion).

ETA: I would also be interested to know if people who would have no interest in changing have ever used node-based software vs layer-based software. It's becoming more prevalent with things like texture/material editors, houdini etc, but still not super common.

Old 03 March 2013   #4
Originally Posted by Sthu: Adobe is cheap compared to Foundrys products.

I agree with you. Foundry prices remember me Silicon Graphics age. I'm not sure if it's good... The good thing is today we've a lot of tools more or less similar... and with the fall of the job price this is a way to keeping working.

Old 03 March 2013   #5
I think a more natural roadmap for The Foundry would be making Mari a more fully loaded paint package - allowing you to use Mari as a canvas where you can paint and edit your images prior to painting textures or projecting matte paintings. Certainly it needs some refinement in certain areas - but it already has an excellent foundation from which to work from.

Old 03 March 2013   #6
Earlyworm said pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

Old 03 March 2013   #7
I was thinking of Mari. I haven't used it myself but it seemed to be heading that direction.

I definitely see scope for more than one tool in the texture painting/matte painting/projection area of VFX. Photoshop seems to me to be very much everything for everyone (while obviously being very strong in photo manipulation) so I would think there is scope for apps which are more focused on VFX to rise up in the 2D market. They just haven't really done it yet.

Old 03 March 2013   #8
For still images I'd probably prefer Wacom+Layer more than node base. It's kinda pointless if you ask me.

Old 03 March 2013   #9
Originally Posted by DoubleSupercool: With the recent cloud-based Adobe cloud-based announcement where cloud-based Adobe cloud-based software will only be available cloud-based online with an internet cloud-based yearly subscription cloud-based, I am not too keen on how Adobe is doing things*

After using node-based compositing software for a few years (Shake, Fusion and Nuke), going back to Photoshop layers is like working with a chisel and stone. It is very slow and unintuitive and not easy to quickly mess with new ideas. Selections/masks/groups are especially annoying.

Now, I know that Photoshop is the defacto standard and a lot of artists and photographers swear by it (and at it), but given The Foundry's advancement of Nuke and its suite of various plugins, if they were to release a 2D node based image editor, would you be willing to switch?

To me, The Foundry seems to be about "we have streamlined these tools and interface after watching production artists to produce a sleek, powerful tool" whereas Adobe has become "We need to make more money this quarter, how can we move people onto subscriptions. Oh yeah, here's a new feature. No, we are not changing the interface."

_____
Edited for cloud-based
I'm sorry, but nodes are not the answer to all things CG. It's handy once in a while, but at the end of the day, it's just a different way to slice the same apple. I don't need a spaghetti mess of nodes to understand what I have working in Photoshop.

Old 03 March 2013   #10
It all depends how good the product is. I don`t see that foundry adds any value to it.
Would you buy product from company x just because its x?

Old 03 March 2013   #11
Originally Posted by Panupat: For still images I'd probably prefer Wacom+Layer more than node base. It's kinda pointless if you ask me.
Actually it's great if you are used to node-based workflows, especially if you work with los of masks or layers which need the same input and you have to copy/paste over and over again.

I'd buy it(or rather let my employer buy it)

Old 03 March 2013   #12
I used The Foundry as an example as they seem the most likely contender for this kind of thing. Who else is in the market that would even be close to making something that would contend with Photoshop?

Originally Posted by ViCoX: It all depends how good the product is. I don`t see that foundry adds any value to it.
Would you buy product from company x just because its x?

Old 03 March 2013   #13
Originally Posted by AbnRanger: I'm sorry, but nodes are not the answer to all things CG. It's handy once in a while, but at the end of the day, it's just a different way to slice the same apple. I don't need a spaghetti mess of nodes to understand what I have working in Photoshop.

I have to disagree. Nodes are a fundamentally different workflow to layers. Sure you may get the same result, but in my opinion, the ability procedurally control your image and be able to go into any step of your process and change settings is the most basic advantage over something like Photoshop where you are constantly forced to commit or make messy subgroups/precomps etc.

Of course, in the hands of an experienced person, Photoshop can work wonders but it really hasn't fundamentally changed since version 3.0 when layers were introduced (and by God they were a godsend back then).

I guess I am just frustrated at seeing 2D software not really evolve and people essentially just putting up with it because that's what they used for years and they have become accustomed to it. It's the default, not because (in my opinion) it's particularly good, but because it has such market saturation that it can't be knocked of its perch. Competition is usually a very good thing for any market.

Old 03 March 2013   #14
Originally Posted by DoubleSupercool: I would also be interested to know if people who would have no interest in changing have ever used node-based software vs layer-based software. It's becoming more prevalent with things like texture/material editors, houdini etc, but still not super common.

Good question. I'm not sure what node based image editing means and that's one of the reasons I ticked the "not budging" option.

Old 03 March 2013   #15
All photoshop or AE for that matter need is the ability to properly instance layers.

Thread Closed share thread