Oz The Great & Powerful Reviews: Fun for the whole family - and your little dog, too!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Oz The Great & Powerful Reviews: Fun for the whole family - and your little dog, too!

"The wizard may not be wonderful enough to warrant a film of his own but the sidekicks and special effects make Disney's much-anticipated prequel a solidly entertaining, if not quite magical, family adventure."

"With a perfect tone of whimsy and adventure, OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL is a perfect companion piece to THE WIZARD OF OZ."

"A better-than-average blockbuster kids film."

"Director Sam Raimi tries to mix dark and light tones while bolstering the action and effects, but the resulting film is a glossy jumble that is rarely magical."

"Chances are that a younger audience with little knowledge of the '39 The Wizard Of Oz will find much to captivate them - and if it makes them curious enough to check out the original (or the books), then that can only be for the good."

"Oz the Great and Powerful can be enjoyed, up to a point, on its own colorful, diverting but finally rather futile terms."

"Though not fully satisfying as prequel to the 1939 classic, Raimi's film is vivid, colorful and more enjoyable than Jack Giant Slayer, Mirror Mirror and other recent retooling of fables."

"Raimi strikes just the right balance of dreamy nostalgia and sharp wit. You simply must go off to see the wizard."

"The land of Oz is as fantastical, magical, colourful and enchantingly beautiful as CGI can make it."

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/oz_...t_and_powerful/

Last edited by webhead : 03 March 2013 at 05:32 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #2
Looks wonderful, my nieces are already psyched to go see it.

Old 03 March 2013   #3
I'd actually like to see this, but those review quotes are not really any better than the ones for Jack the Giant Slayer.

Old 03 March 2013   #4
I think I'm going to watch it just because friends worked on it.

But oh boy the colors are way too saturated!

Old 03 March 2013   #5
This movie is on track to make a killing for Disney.
Dateline:
‘Oz’ Opening To Big $25 Million Today; Matinees Ahead Of ‘Lorax’; Tracking Huge $78M Weekend Debut

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 03 March 2013   #6
Alright I just got back from it in IMAX 3D, on a side note we saw a clip in 3d of the new Jurassic Park in 3D and I was certainly sold because it was incredible. Now as far as Oz goes I was very satisfied with the film as the story and treatment did right to the beloved story we all know.

Old 03 March 2013   #7
I enjoyed it and thought it was above average movie and worth the money. I saw it in 2D. My only complaints were that the beginning of the movie had a lot of overly obvious meant-for-3D out of the screen moments but then it settled down. My other complaint was that the green face of the wicked witch looked too plastic - kind of like Jim Carrey's face on the Mask.

Old 03 March 2013   #8
I'm going to see it tonight or tomorrow. 2D version if possible, I find 3D movies sometimes bring on a migraine.

Old 03 March 2013   #9
I went to see it this afternoon and just got home. 3D version was all they had, no migraine thankfully.

I thought it was a great film, they did a great job of it. The colours were saturated a lot but that's probably because the original version had some wacky colours also. The star of the show for me was the little china doll girl.

Last edited by Dillster : 03 March 2013 at 10:50 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #10
Saw the movie tonight and I really enjoyed it. We watched it in 3d. The only thing was that it had a few parts it was hard to see using the 3d glasses when the camera panned too fast. But other than that it was a fun family movie.

Old 03 March 2013   #11
I've noticed in most 3d films when the camera a little too much it's impossible to see anything really, could be deliberate motion blur but sometimes it happens when it isn't really going that fast. Also I remembered that the movie had a nice effect from framing at the beginning where they chose certain elements to come out of the limited frame including 3d portions which made them really pop out more to me. The intro credit motion graphics were splendid as well so kudos to the work done on those.

Old 03 March 2013   #12
Originally Posted by Andrewty07: ...... Also I remembered that the movie had a nice effect from framing at the beginning where they chose certain elements to come out of the limited frame including 3d portions which made them really pop out more to me......

Yes that was good. The part where the fire breather man blows the flames out of the frame in colour was a nice touch.

Old 03 March 2013   #13
L. Frank Baum wrote 14 Oz books (according to Wikipedia).
Let's not bother with them, let us just make a prequel...

Old 03 March 2013   #14
Visually the movie was good and thats about it. The china girl was my favorite, mila kunis and rachel weisz were not the best choice for this film at all.

Last edited by DuttyFoot : 03 March 2013 at 07:24 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #15
Looks like this gonna be a financial juggernaut that Walt Disney Studios wanted.

Thread Closed share thread