Old 03-03-2013, 10:50 PM   #16
Ordibble-Plop
High fiddlety
portfolio
DH
New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
...keeping his teeth bared the whole time.

Although he unstoppered and poured, he should have taken a swig of his rum before talking - thirst is creepy

And Black Flag is a brand of flyspray in NZ, so I'm getting a strange vibe from this.

Gotta love those frictionless holsters though, except for the barely-there scabbard that makes a magical ring when sheathing and unsheathing. Must be why he pauses so much mid-fight, having to re-sharpen all the time.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:15 AM   #17
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel
The eyes re great though ?

The eyes are pretty good. They have a glint, a flash, and a life in them. But I agree the eyebrows and surrounding areas could have probably moved more.

The mouth sync was fine for me.

Hmmm..... Since the punchline of the trailer was "Just don't meddle into his private affairs, as there is more mystery in this man than even I dare to ask." and then they show the new hero as an Assassin... They probably should have done the earlier ship-boarding scene without the hood on.... So you think it's a new pirate game until the very last bit after Blackbeard's punchline.

Hood on a hinge? Pfffff... Screw reality, I say. You ever seen those fan-films where the hood isn't stiff? Not as cool really as this "soft becomes stiff with the eagle's beak tip" CGI hoods.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:35 AM   #18
playmesumch00ns
Lord of the posts

render monkey
pretty picture maker
United Kingdom

- "Shit! Something screwed up in the rig and the eyebrow animation got dropped in all the renders!"
- "Too late to fix it now. We'll just have to release it and hope no-one notices!"

...is how I imagine the conversation went.

You can have your characters photoreal, fast or cheap. Pick two.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #19
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmesumch00ns
- "Shit! Something screwed up in the rig and the eyebrow animation got dropped in all the renders!"
- "Too late to fix it now. We'll just have to release it and hope no-one notices!"

Blackbeard's eyebrow did seem to move or at least shift positions between cuts, but it seemed like the guy they mo-capped for it really may have moved very little (if you observe people talking in real life the eyebrows don't really move around a lot).... and maybe the guy finishing it on the rigs felt that it was probably better to just leave it as is.

It takes a different kind of perspective to sort of see what's going on with the character and not just what is literally there (especially if the schedule is very tight as it is for most game trailers). For Davy Jones, for example there's a scene there where in the actual capture, Bill Nighy is saying the word "Price?" and just purses his lips forward... in the final shot, Davy Jones instead does a "lip curl popping" (with added Sound FX) after saying the word "Price?" to exaggerate this motion and make it probably something more appropriate for the CG character to do.

You can make the argument that regardless of whether it was in the capture or not that you can take chances with the eyebrows and get a more animated performance... but I think one concern there would be the body language and voice delivery wouldn't have supported that.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #20
grrinc
Expert

My problem with Blackbeard ( if that was he ) was the disparity between the acting and the voice work. The acting was muted but the voice work wasn't.

He was animated to look as though he was perhaps talking in a shifty quiet way amongst friends. But the voice track was more animated and colourful then was portrayed. At one small point, he did drop his voice and talk in hushed tone and that synced in greatly with the acting.

Watch it with the volume down, he seems a more shifty - less colourful character.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #21
Darrolm
Frequenter
portfolio
Darrol Moore
Character TD | Generalist
Pasadena, USA

Personally, I am really looking forward to where they take the series next. I see a lot of gamers saying that they are releasing games too fast which is understandable at this point but their approach has made some sense up until now.

Anyways, IGN got a bit of a jump ahead of the announcement with an article going over some key details of Black Flag including some of the features.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03...d-iv-black-flag

Old 03-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #22
Laa-Yosh
Edge looper

Tamas Varga
Lead character modeler
Digic Pictures
Hungary

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmesumch00ns

Or maybe the actor who's performance was captured has not moved his eyebrows that much.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #23
ArcticWolf
Veteran

Tom Kleinenberg
Lead Previs/Layout Artist
Triggerfish
South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh
Or maybe the actor who's performance was captured has not moved his eyebrows that much.

Heh, set him on fire next time.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #24
IgorK
Veteran
portfolio
Igor K
Freelance
USA

I liked it ! But, his beard was bothering me for some reason.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #25
DanHibiki
Expert

portfolio
- -
Senior 3d Animator
Invivo communications
Richmond Hill, Canada

Still waiting for my Stone Age assassin's creed...

Old 03-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #26
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh

This here be your work, then, landlubber?

I do wonder though if there was maybe enough time to test it on a "cold" viewer who wouldn't know nor care about what the original capture was. I think such viewer would have pointed to an issue with the eyebrows and then you can decide if you alter the keyframes to suit.

Saying that though, I understand if it wasn't really an objective... to nail that last 0.10%... Especially if the schedule is tight and the main goal isn't for audiences but for Ubi.

Still pretty much the rest was "audience picture grade".... and this trailer will probably get more fans wondering when a full length version would be done in this manner.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 03-04-2013 at 11:46 PM.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:52 AM   #27
DuttyFoot
Expert

stephen curah
USA

Quote:
By far it is a more interesting title than ACIII where I found pirate ship missions were more fun than storyline missions.

i really enjoyed the first couple in this series but then came along ac3 which i found a bit boring. the thing i enjoyed the most in ac3 is exploring the forest, hunting, swimming, and taking on the red coats. for right now i parked the game to play far cry 3 which is tons of fun.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #28
JoshBowman
Life's More Than What U C

portfolio
Joshua Bowman
Animation Lecturer/Student
Sydney, Australia

I hope people realise that it isn't bad lip sync but Youtube that shifted the audio track out of sync, that's why it feels a little weird, once there's an official upload that issue should be sorted.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #29
MAK
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBowman
I hope people realise that it isn't bad lip sync but Youtube that shifted the audio track out of sync, that's why it feels a little weird, once there's an official upload that issue should be sorted.

The official upload looks exactly the same in terms of lipsync

Old 03-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #30
EricM
Expert
Eric Marodon

It could also be that UBI decided to change the voice acting with ADR in retrospect (eg "make it more vivid, less confidential") which messed up the tone/lipsinc a bit.

Thread Closed share thread