creative briefs

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
creative briefs

Hello,
What exactly would a creative brief look like, how extensive would it be and are they used on all projects? Are they usually in wrting?

Old 03 March 2013   #2
Google is your friend. Check LinkedIn for groups that focus on Art Directos or Creative Directors

Mostly text, but then lead to flow charts, rough, storyboards and style sheets depending on what's needed. The process probably changes a bit from studio to studio and CD to CD

http://www.adcracker.com/brief/Samp...ative_Brief.htm

Old 03 March 2013   #3
Clarification

Thanks for the response. Before starting any project isn't there always some sort of creative brief that is sometimes more or less detailed? or what form would this usually take with smaller projects and an ongoing client (hope I'm making sense here).

Old 03 March 2013   #4
I've always had a basic outline and path to follow. Usually mine accompanied the cost and due dates. However, my work never really dealt with advertising or marketing an audience. My stuff is usually meant to visualize a concept or scientific data or explainations. My illustration work or casual animation usually was prompted by some paragraph of info reinforced with a conversation.

I can see where creative briefs can be useful and likely very important when dealing with an agency setting (clients, ad execs, CDs, ADs & production artists) to keep everyone on the same page and targeting the right goal and concept. They can also influence the initial conceptual development.

I think most projects use some sort of initial communication. It just may not be defined as a creative brief. I find the basic forms of pre production have remained the same. However the terminology and industry jargon keeps changing, like "creative brief" = "outline of objectives" or "style sheets" = "mock ups", etc.

Last edited by XLNT-3d : 03 March 2013 at 04:53 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #5
In my experience it usually starts with an RFP(Request for Proposal) where the client outlines what they are looking for, and want you to provide them with a quote for what the specific project would entail. Details are usually just talked about in a conference call - Then concepts are generated with accompanying boards and presented to them for feedback. Internally, everyone gets on the same page by reviewing the boards and discussing what the client needs - pretty informally, there's no official document, but then again we're a pretty small studio.

Old 03 March 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread