If Video Brequendo can do it why can't I? Make a living off IP.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #31
Originally Posted by Andrewty07: So many of the b movies that I have seen show up on netfilx but rarely the real ones :/ so how does all this work as far as legality? people are free to produce whatever they want as long as it isn't too directly similar to another?

Not quite;

Quote:
"Warners Prevails in Hobbit Mockbuster Lawsuit

Studio is granted a temporary restraining order against Age of the Hobbits."
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/12...kbuster-lawsuit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjsJ6dJF3V4 (trailer)
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 03 March 2013   #32
Quote: "There is substantial likelihood that consumers will be confused by Age of the Hobbits and mistakenly purchase the film intending to purchase The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey,"

So essentially if the product could be mistaken by consumers for the actual thing is where the line is drawn, still seems sketchy.

Old 03 March 2013   #33
Bringing the overal quality down by producing "fast money" isnt what the industry needs right now, imo.

Old 03 March 2013   #34
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR: Bringing the overal quality down by producing "fast money" isnt what the industry needs right now, imo.

What 'industry'? The low budget film industry has been around for many MANY years. Bollywood, and Nollywood are 2 of the largest film industries in the world, and are built around ultra low budget films.

I think its EXACTLY what the industry needs. What the industry doesn't need are major tentpole $250 000 000 films that sink studios. Those are WAY more damaging than the Mockbusters will ever be.

Old 03 March 2013   #35
Originally Posted by Pyke: What 'industry'? The low budget film industry has been around for many MANY years. Bollywood, and Nollywood are 2 of the largest film industries in the world, and are built around ultra low budget films.

I think its EXACTLY what the industry needs. What the industry doesn't need are major tentpole $250 000 000 films that sink studios. Those are WAY more damaging than the Mockbusters will ever be.

Sure a crappy $500 000 000 movie is still crap and crap doesnt sell well.

Make a good $500 000 000 movie and you'll make a good proffit, much more than with a cheap low quality movie.

Its the quality that is to blame (and how that budget is spent), not so much the budget.
Im not saying those studios going under delivered crappy quality. No, what im saying is dont sell yourself to cheap in the hopes that will make you 'survive'... You'll digg a hole you cant get out.

Most ppl can do bad/cheap stuff... Youtube is full of it. Once you get into that arena, you'll find out its probably even harder to compete (eventually more work for less gain), just because so many ppl can do it. Its delivering quality that will make you stand out and survive.

Last edited by CHRiTTeR : 03 March 2013 at 09:33 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #36
Originally Posted by Andrewty07: So essentially if the product could be mistaken by consumers for the actual thing is where the line is drawn, still seems sketchy.

My attorney is more expensive than your attorney and he/she can kick your attorney's butt. If we can't win, we'll make you spend so much money that you'll go broke.

Sometimes that's what it comes down to

Old 03 March 2013   #37
This might be of interest:
"
Itís hard to overstate the contributions that independent-film icon Roger Corman has made to movies and youth culture. As a producer and budget-minded studio head, he gave crucial breaks to a whoís who of directors, including Martin Scorsese, Francis Ford Coppola, Jonathan Demme, Monte Hellman, James Cameron, Joe Dante, John Sayles, Peter Bogdanovich, Curtis Hanson, and Ron Howard. Heís directed a number of classic films himself, including a series of acclaimed Edgar Allen Poe adaptations with Vincent Price, the pitch-black comedies A Bucket Of Blood and The Little Shop Of Horrors, the socially conscious 1962 drama The Intruder,and X: The Man With The X-Ray Eyes. After 1971ís Von Richthofen And Brown,Corman concentrated on producing, though he returned to the directorís chair for 1990ís Frankenstein Unbound.

Lately, Cormanís profile has risen again. Last year, he received an honorary Academy Award for his contributions to film and signed a deal with Shout! Factory to release many of his signature films on DVD and Blu-ray. The A.V. Club recently spoke with Corman in connection with the Blu-ray/DVD releases of Rock íNí Roll High School and Suburbia about dropping acid in preparation for directing The Trip, making Little Shop Of Horrors in less than three days, why you canít blow up a high school to disco, and whether heís finally become part of the Hollywood establishment. "

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...-8&fr=yfp-t-508
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 03 March 2013   #38
One would think that there are a few more steps between "big budget big profile" stuff and... this.

I also wouldn't call this kind of ripoffs your "own IP".

Old 03 March 2013   #39
I know that if you create a parody of anything, the U.S. laws here will pretty much exonerate you, look at Weird Al Yankovic in the music industry. I worked for a company 10 years ago that took all major horror film titles and parodied them, it was supposed to be a funny horror movie, hint hint, and they got a whole catalogue to steal from! However they were probably umbrella'd under the same corp. so I think they had the same legal team, hence no future worries of legal action. If I made the same movie as an indy, they would probably buy me out, if it was of any quality, and make money off it, vs. trying to burn me down with litigation!

The Hobbit is clearly a rip off by making their own story and using the copyrighted Hobbit trademark to sell more. If it was mocking the original IP more I'm sure it would not have a restraining order against it and the parent company would have bought them out and sold it themselves.

Old 03 March 2013   #40
I always found the parody loophole kind of odd. Not against it or anything, just seems weird that for some reason bringing humor into the situation suddenly makes it ok to completely rip something off.

Also seems like one of those vague, situational type laws that are kind of tricky to figure out.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 03 March 2013   #41
Originally Posted by Michael5188: I always found the parody loophole kind of odd. Not against it or anything, just seems weird that for some reason bringing humor into the situation suddenly makes it ok to completely rip something off.

Do you think putting little people in a movie and labeling it Hobbit was an attempt at humor? From the trailer it seems like they were trying to make a B movie that stood on its own merit, but the title botched things up for them.

Old 03 March 2013   #42
Originally Posted by Narntson: Do you think putting little people in a movie and labeling it Hobbit was an attempt at humor? From the trailer it seems like they were trying to make a B movie that stood on its own merit, but the title botched things up for them.

I agree, this is where they likely went wrong. Using a copyrighted name was a big mistake. Surprised they didn't use something similar but obviously different.

As for the parody law, I think there was a big lawsuit in the 70s or 80s that addressed it and basically made it okay. Then opportunistic producers came along and stretched the limits of what's acceptable. Clearly these folks went a little too far over that line.

Old 03 March 2013   #43
I was surprised they were able to use the Terminators as a title of a film.
Would have thought that is a trademark for somebody.

Old 03 March 2013   #44
Quote: Bringing the overal quality down by producing "fast money" isnt what the industry needs right now, imo.

Those B movies have been around for years and have their own market. They have been around since the 50s probably before then. The thing is with technology advances these cheap films are starting to look better. While the big movies are costing more but looking the same.

Once that 500,000,000 to make a movie begins to happen then it will begin to crush in on itself. 500,000,000 is too much. You have to make 1 billion to break even with marketing and other things.

As a side note

Quote: As a result, federal judge Philip Gutierrez made the final ruling. "There is substantial likelihood that consumers will be confused by Age of the Hobbits and mistakenly purchase the film intending to purchase The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," he said. "Indeed, Plaintiffs have presented evidence that Asylum's other films have caused confusion among consumers, who mistakenly purchase Asylum films intending to purchase a different film."

Are people really that dumb? Seriously. That dumb?

Seriously?

Old 03 March 2013   #45
I have yet to find a Sy Fy or Asylum film that is considered comparable to the general quality and imagination of films made by Hammer, Amicus, Tigon, AIP, Toho, New World, Cannon, Empire, etc.

Scripts have gotten worse for both the top genre films and the lowest regardless of improvements in technology. Less location shooting.

A low budget film made in the 50s or 60s generally was a well made affair unless it was poverty row.
Asylum and Sy Fy appear to be using Ed Wood or Al Adamson as their role models.
The higher quality B movies of 30-40 years ago would by today's standards probably be in the $10 million plus range.

Thread Closed share thread