Postmortem: Threshold Entertainment (Food Fight- The Movie): What really happened...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #16
More details from Wikipedia

Quote:
"
Foodfight! is a 2012 computer animatedfamily film produced by Threshold Entertainment and directed by Larry Kasanoff. The film features the voices of Charlie Sheen, Hilary Duff, Wayne Brady and Eva Longoria. It was originally planned for a Christmas 2003 release[2] and was pushed to late 2005.[3] Firemanís Fund Insurance Company/International Film Guarantors were set to auction off the film and all associated rights in September 2011, to settle C47 Productions and Threshold Animation Studios defaulted loan for the film.[.
"
Production

The film was created and produced by the digital effects shop at Threshold Entertainment. In late 2002-early 2003, Larry Kasanoff reported that hard drives containing film files had been stolen in what he called an act of "industrial espionage". A release date in 2005 was later announced, but missed. Another distribution deal was struck in 2007, but again, nothing came of it. Finally, in 2011, the film was auctioned for $2.5 million.["

"In June 2012, Foodfight! received a limited release in the United Kingdom, grossing £13,003 on its opening weekend,[1] and it was released on DVD in Europe that October. In February 2013, the film will be released on VOD.

The article stateds that the budget for the film was $65 million.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foodfight!
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 03 March 2013 at 10:06 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #17
And it gets worse...

Here is a WSJ article on the release of the film in 2013!

Quote:
"
SANTA MONICA, CA, Nov 19, 2012 (MARKETWIRE via COMTEX) -- Despite the sad loss of Hostess brands last Friday, its popular treat, Twinkie, will live on in the film Foodfight as Twinkie the Kid. Viva Pictures announced today the VOD premiere date of the animated film Foodfight featuring the voices of Charlie Sheen, Hilary Duff and Eva Longoria. On February 12, 2013, the beloved character, Twinkie the Kid, will be introduced.

"Prior to filing for liquidation, the Hostess family were very instrumental in helping us capture Twinkie the Kid in his iconic state for this upcoming movie debut featured alongside other classic American icons including Charlie the Tuna, Mrs. Butterworth, Chef Boyardee and the Vlasic Stork," stated Victor Elizalde, president of Viva Pictures. "While it is sad that the delicious product may never be tasted again, Twinkie the Kid will live forever in Foodfight."

Foodfight is a story of good vs. evil. When the lights are turned off and the doors are locked, chaos reigns supreme for the products in this grocery store as branded foods fight for shelf space against the less tasty generics. This animated full-length feature is voiced with a plethora of talented actors including Sheen, Duff, Longoria, Christopher Lloyd, Chris Kattan and Harvey Fierstein. With the recent news last week, it is ironic that in the film Twinkie the Kid battles alongside the world's most recognizable brands to the bitter end to help save their existence from evil knockoffs. Hopefully, the life imitates art as Twinkie the Kid ends up on the winning side.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/tw...ures-2012-11-19
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 03 March 2013 at 10:40 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #18
The files getting "stolen" in 2002 are no excuse for a movie to be that bad in 2011

Old 03 March 2013   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz
And it gets worse...

You're right - I had no idea Chris Kattan was "talented."

Old 03 March 2013   #20
See what happens when the lights go out in this Japanese Animation.
10xs better than brands coming to life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...d&v=gDFWvyhUIaE

Old 03 March 2013   #21
Maybe the film was actually a underground research project for ways to cause eye-cancer? also if your curious just how bad it is... http://www.livestream.com/charliesheendog

Old 03 March 2013   #22
From the review section on Amazon

"I actually worked on this movie for a bit. It was one of my first jobs in the industry and let me tell you, if you think it was a train wreck viewing, you should have seen how terrible it was to work on it. The sad truth is there were plenty of talented people working there. many of those people moved on to major studios in both film, TV and games. The bottom line is the director, Larry Kasanoff is a talent-less, classless scumbag that should be banned from Hollywood until the end of time. All of the inappropriate innuendos are a direct product of his "creative hand". I cannot tell you how many times this moron derailed production with his brainless input. It literally has cost the studio millions of dollars. They eventually stepped in and removed him from the project. Unfortunately, that was a decade and millions of dollars late. I am so ashamed of this movie that I have completely left working there off of my resume. On behalf of the many artists that have had the dubious distinction of working on this dumpster fire, I apologize to all of humanity for our part in this."

http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3G6..._pr_viewpnt#R3G 641B07U3ZEL

Old 03 March 2013   #23
I think it's safe to say... especially after that "witness testimony" on Amazon?

I am NOT seeing this movie.

Old 03 March 2013   #24
wow, brutal that one person could cause all of this to derail that much?

Old 03 March 2013   #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewty07
wow, brutal that one person could cause all of this to derail that much?

Directors make THAT big a difference. From the word itself.. you count on this person to "point the ship in the right way"...

If he's "classless" and a "scumbag"... and he's steering the boat? You gonna have problems.

Old 03 March 2013   #26
Is there no system to check and deter things like this from happening? I have no experience with anything to that scale, I just figure with such hefty investment in time, money and talent that they would want "safety nets" in place to get the investments worth.

Old 03 March 2013   #27
That's an amazing review. "Dumpster fire" - lulz.

A quick check of IMDB shows this guy still working as an "executive producer." He does have a pretty big employment gap from 2003 to 2009, though. I'm guessing those were the "powdery" years.

Old 03 March 2013   #28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewty07
Is there no system to check and deter things like this from happening? I have no experience with anything to that scale, I just figure with such hefty investment in time, money and talent that they would want "safety nets" in place to get the investments worth.

Unless he's funding the project himself there will usually be producers that can make sure that things don't get crazy. Take for instance with Star Wars, the first one was very limited because it was funded by Fox and they were restricted to a budget. The other two had different directors. But with the prequels it was funded, written, and directed by Lucas and so it was completely under his control.

Old 03 March 2013   #29
He was Executive Producer, Director, and Screenwriter. Maybe the investors are the only reason the joyride finally stopped, and the film ended up where you can actually see it?

Last edited by Pookyjuice : 03 March 2013 at 07:27 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #30
Sounds like real life Horrible Bosses.

Thread Closed share thread