Outputting high resolution textures

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Outputting high resolution textures

Hi Everyone...

I have a specific technical question I need some help with. Hope someone can help!

I am doing a graphics job for a company. The company is producing a physical 3d globe. We want to 'paint' in some 3d painting software to create seamless 3d imagery (logos textures etc) on a 3d sphere, then output that in a specific image projection at high resolution.

Platte Carree projection would work, but there is a lot of distortion at the poles and is not the final desired result. We have used a Platte Carree projection in the past and then used some mapping software to transform it into gores. This time I would like to figure out how to output from 3d software straight to gores (bypassing Platte Carree).

Here is an example of the final desired image format using a simple earth map for reference. (This is half the earth)

I talked to the folks at ZBrush and they said that ZBrush can do all the painting I want and could output the necessary format if there was a sphere with the correct UV data. But ZBrush will not create the necessary UV data for a sphere. So far I have not found the software for creating the sphere with correct UV's for this task. The UV's would need to be in the shape of the image gores above. Seems like it would require some manual work in the UV's to get this result.

Thanks for reading this far and if anyone has knowledge on which software this could be done with I would much appreciate it. We are prepared to purchase whatever is necessary to accomplish this task. (or potentially pay someone to do it)

Thanks again...
Deva (designer)

02 February 2013
Hi. The "texturing and surfacing" part of the forum is the best place to ask this.

02 February 2013
The by far easiest method in this particular case would be to use a Nurbs program like Rhino.
In polygon-programs one had to figure out appropriate Subdivision-rate and flow of these orange-slices towards the poles. With Nurbs one simply would slice a sphere exactly to your demands and it would have a matching UV-Layout out of the box.

02 February 2013
It is a very simple procedure. It is not automated, but you can easily set up a sphere template once and reuse it all you want.
This is how I would do it:
define how many slices you need. Make a sphere with slices*x. Keep one slice, delete the rest of the sphere. Make the uv's for the slice. once you are done with the uv's reconstruct the sphere with copies of the slice. merge the vertices and complete the uv layout.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Hoja: The by far easiest method in this particular case would be to use a Nurbs program like Rhino.
In polygon-programs one had to figure out appropriate Subdivision-rate and flow of these orange-slices towards the poles. With Nurbs one simply would slice a sphere exactly to your demands and it would have a matching UV-Layout out of the box.

Thanks... I will take a look at Rhino.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Leionaaad: It is a very simple procedure. It is not automated, but you can easily set up a sphere template once and reuse it all you want.
define how many slices you need. Make a sphere with slices*x. Keep one slice, delete the rest of the sphere. Make the uv's for the slice. once you are done with the uv's reconstruct the sphere with copies of the slice. merge the vertices and complete the uv layout.

Thanks for your reply. I downloaded C4D demo and took a slice of a sphere, but there is no way I found to accurately control the layout of the UV's. Is there another program you would recommend that has better control of UV placement?

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Hoja: The by far easiest method in this particular case would be to use a Nurbs program like Rhino.

I just checked and Rhino is for Windows. I am on OSX. Is there another program to try instead?

02 February 2013
I posted a couple replies last night, but they never made it to the thread... hmmm...

02 February 2013

I am on OSX and Rhino is Windows only (OSX on the way I guess)

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Leionaaad: It is a very simple procedure. It is not automated, but you can easily set up a sphere template once and reuse it all you want.

Thanks for your reply...

I am realizing this is more complicated that I first thought... I discovered that Modo has excellent UV tools and I was able to create the exact shapes without any manual work... but now I realize that since these panels are being printed, they need some bleed... so I need multiple UV sets that overlap slightly to account for that...

Any suggestions welcome...

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread