Industries Die and Ang Lee May be Right

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: I suggest you watch both your language, and how you interact with other users.

You've been going down a slippery slope from being the weird, funny to read guy, to being outright provocative, offensive, and generally aggressive.

I'm not inclined to put it down to a language barrier any longer, and I suggest you make an effort to not only collect your thoughts a bit, and offer something more insightful than empty chest beating rhetoric, but also try to be less confrontational about it.

2 stars self censur means I have to watch my language?
If you dont share my views but choose to censur me off this site I have nothing more to say, enlight in details what it is you dont understand please. You left the other thread saying you were tired and didnt get a clue while I wrote lenghty posts trying to explain and others acknowledged they got my message.

I collect my thoughts, I dont type lightly.
If I have to write insightful it will take a long time.

So because I got radical different views than people making green boxes on facebook im an outcast.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: Ok here is a fantastic post by Pixelmagic on what is going on..
http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comm..._oscars/c8l8eg8

Heh, didn't expect my comment to get so much attention on reddit, much less make it all the way over here. I hope it was informative enough for those to do not understand the situation, and I hope I did not misrepresent anything. I didn't get to cover everything I wanted, but I was growing long winded enough.

Vimeo Videos
Daniel Broadway

02 February 2013
Can VFX companies still co-produce movies to help beat back the sales tax of services?

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by gkmotu: I collect my thoughts, I dont type lightly.
If I have to write insightful it will take a long time.

What?
It's really hard to follow your thoughts, in the last few days I've read your posts on several topics and either it really is a language barrier or you just don't make any sense.
And it's not about your views, actually I think you have some good points, but geez give us a break from these agressive "survival of the fittest"-phrases and stop thinking that decisions you made in your life will work 1:1 for every person on this planet.

Just calm down man, noone is "intimidating" you or trying to "break" you. Just cut the big phrases and try to formulate what you want to say, even if it takes some time and checking a dictionary (which is no shame since english is not your motherlanguage)

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh: The guys also mentioned that he isn't completely fluent in English and his words are probably misinterpreted - what he was probably trying to say is that it's the VFX vendors whose costs are too high and that's how they can't make safe profits.
I kinda got that impression as well. Kinda makes the headline for this thread a little too sensational for my taste since it was grabbing onto the actual words and probably not his intention. Who really knows....

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by gkmotu: 2 stars self censur means I have to watch my language?
If you dont share my views but choose to censur me off this site I have nothing more to say, enlight in details what it is you dont understand please. You left the other thread saying you were tired and didnt get a clue while I wrote lenghty posts trying to explain and others acknowledged they got my message.

Calling someone's contribution to a discussion shit, no matter how many stars in it, the meaning is still obvious, means you have to watch the form your thoughts take.

It wouldn't be ok of me to tell someone to F*** off just because I put some stars in there, it's not ok for you to tell people their thoughts are S**t.

The overly aggressive tones and the constant dismissal of other people's posts, even if you clearly have never done a day of work in the field in question, is what makes you look like someone who doesn't put much thought into what they type.

You have your narcissistic train of thoughts you keep outing, paraphrased, in some awkward attempt to establish some tough guy superiority, and that's about all I've seen you post insofar. Which basically is noise, and we like noise to not completely squelch signal in here, when possible.

I don't have the account privileges to ban a user, that is intentionally left to more impartial admins and not to mods, but it is our job to try and keep some resemblance of civility in here, and you don't provide a lot of that; or much else other than constantly playing this role of the one overcoming all, and telling people they should toughen up regardless of what they post, or their situation is.

02 February 2013
I think I don't make a lot of sense. The mind is difficult and at times very difficult to put on the paper in short terms and sentences.
Wyatt, cheers mate. My slavery was indeed a slavery of the mind, my own mind. Proud of saying I was homeless, ofcourse I am, I have nothing to hide, and writing something that private on a forum is pritty emotional by all due respect.
And for that I am a punk - well that is your words after all.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: Calling someone's contribution to a discussion shit, no matter how many stars in it, the meaning is still obvious, means you have to watch the form your thoughts take.

HEY! you interpritate this WRONG!
I did NOT diss anyone mate!
I mean that the SITUATION looks like "crap" ( using other word )
So no WONDER why you come on to me like that if you dont realy read it right!

See attached for true meaning!

I dont even want to read what came after that. you can edit your post if you want or leave it but I would edit if it was me.

Last edited by gkmotu : 02 February 2013 at 11:38 PM.

02 February 2013
Alright come on guys....

We're all on the same side really. Kiss and make up?

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by PerryDS: Eventually ... In time all big box office VFX development will return to the region of origin which is L.A. Economics will dictate this as as much as many think, once tax credit disappear, expertise and the benefits it entails will determine where business gets done. With all industries there is localization, because population expertise and accessibility dictates this.

I have heard all kinds of grumbling in the IT industry that too often cultural and language shifts cause all kinds of issues with efficiency, and in the end it's no longer cost effective to go abroad.

this is the truth... there are other very significant losses that are hidden or not realized until it is far too late for a company to correct (talent loss, knowledge loss, locality).

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by DrZenith: Alright come on guys....

We're all on the same side really. Kiss and make up?

yes please.

If anyone has any other personal rant related they can drop it in my PM box and we can take it from there, not to delute threat topics. Thanks!

Ill check if my account is banned tomorrow and if not I conclude owner of site favors my argumentation and ones chance to explain as seen on previous post.

Guys if you dont get me, contact me directly. Ill give you a call even, no sweat.

Last edited by gkmotu : 02 February 2013 at 11:52 PM.

02 February 2013
So, I just had to go through the thread and flag a bunch of OT/politics posts. Please keep on topic. I'd hate for anyone to fall ungracefully onto the head of a ban-hammer (we leave those laying about and they are quite the hazard).

Thanks.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Kirt: So, I just had to go through the thread and flag a bunch of OT/politics posts.
Oh man...

no problem.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by gkmotu: Ill check if my account is banned tomorrow and if not I conclude owner of site favors my argumentation and ones chance to explain as seen on previous post.

It would mean you didn't cross the line with both feet and far enough to be banned, NOT that your "argumentation" is favored, or even appropriate to protract.
Just to make things clear.

02 February 2013
@teruchan

I think you and I are probably experiencing similar economic/lifestyle situations... So I can understand to a non-offensive degree what you are saying. But I think the "threshold of sustainability" is different right now for some people.

It is important to note that, as is normal for people working in Asia a long time, you assumed the Employer/Work-giver is an absolute. You say this work is being sent out to other territories and that the artist can do nothing but simply adapt to the new situations and find ways to bring cost models down.

But the other view is also valid. That the films make millions and that there is excess right now in certain parts of the Value Chain that maybe aren't warranted and that by any sound logic, gains should filter down.

Many of the things we consider part of the balance or sustainability of worker relationships or economic and market systems were developed in places like the U.S. and the UK.

Agencies, Managers, Representations, Labor Unions... these are things that, to be frank, in the East we wouldn't have invented these... Because of precisely what you're saying.

But to others, they'd rather unionize... they'd rather fight for their interests and their rights. They will go through this cycle and if a new system comes out of it? In spite of what you and I experience and adapt to, we will see Asian territories adopt the very same things.

Thread Closed share thread