Industries Die and Ang Lee May be Right

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #46
Originally Posted by nmcelmury: Might I ask why?

yes,
1. Because I know a brother elsewhere in the world that is just as good if not better at the job and he should get equally chances to get the work as a LA native ( not having to migrate )
2. I want to see the industry get wider and more balanced and non US specific.
Stuff down that road etc.

Old 02 February 2013   #47
Quote: Who thinks there will be some kind of turn around and that new houses will spring up and wages will go back to what they were?

We're all hoping for that, and this bit of action is the first step to attempting to accomplish that. Most of us don't want to roll over and take it on the chin just because that's "where the industry is going"

We are the industry, and we think we should have some say in where it's going. There's nothing wrong with trying to be paid and treated for what you're worth.

I don't know how that can get lost on some people.

www.nickmcelmury.com

"The best things in life are either illegal, fattening, or take too long to render."

Old 02 February 2013   #48
Originally Posted by nmcelmury: There's nothing wrong with trying to be paid and treated for what you're worth.

I don't know how that can get lost on some people.

I agree 100%

Old 02 February 2013   #49
Originally Posted by gkmotu: 2. I want to see the industry get wider and more balanced and non US specific.
Stuff down that road etc.

And you think this will happen BEFORE all of this price fixing hurts you? You think that you and your country will escape the lowering of wages for VFX workers BEFORE balance hits the industry?

ROFLMAO.....

Old 02 February 2013   #50
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: Ugh, this sounds like whining. I'm going to stop.

I don't think you're whining at all.

It's a sad fact - for the time being - with the healthcare system here in the US. Hopefully things with Obamacare will seriously improve. IMO it was a good start, but it still needs to drastically improve before it starts to really work. I hope that they continue to work on it before it's fully implemented - though that's doubtful the way things in DC are going. I'm for single payer!

Old 02 February 2013   #51
Originally Posted by Panupat: Anglee's speech was clearly a word of a clueless client who thinks VFX is an easy task created with a few mouse clicks.

Actually, several people from ILM have come to his defense; he was one of the very few directors who preferred to move to the studio and work together, instead of just daily video conferences, and even put on a mocap suit during the first Hulk movie.

The guys also mentioned that he isn't completely fluent in English and his words are probably misinterpreted - what he was probably trying to say is that it's the VFX vendors whose costs are too high and that's how they can't make safe profits.

Old 02 February 2013   #52
Originally Posted by DSW: And you think this will happen BEFORE all of this price fixing hurts you? You think that you and your country will escape the lowering of wages for VFX workers BEFORE balance hits the industry?

ROFLMAO.....

no ofcourse not, I dont think you get it, I am pressing on these tendencies. Im not a protectionist I live by inovation whatever imaginable that could be. tools, knowledge and insight, very less pushing polygons around.

Old 02 February 2013   #53
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh: Actually, several people from ILM have come to his defense; he was one of the very few directors who preferred to move to the studio and work together, instead of just daily video conferences, and even put on a mocap suit during the first Hulk movie.

The guys also mentioned that he isn't completely fluent in English and his words are probably misinterpreted - what he was probably trying to say is that it's the VFX vendors whose costs are too high and that's how they can't make safe profits.

I've tried to tell others in discussions about this and I don't know why they have latched onto that "cheaper" comment as the worst thing ever, when it didn't seem to be his intent.

HOWEVER, the whole thing where he seemed to be down to almost killing time during his (non played off) acceptance speech, and thanked the pool crew but not the VFX crew was ridiculous. He did mention "the 3000" at the beginning, but seriously, that was a big WTF.

Old 02 February 2013   #54
PLEASE DONT GO THERE.... It will derail this thread and I WILL CLOSE IT.
Lets talk like grownups about this issue that is affecting the Studios.

The topoic of the thread is what is going on with the Studios.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 02 February 2013   #55
I see nothing but green boxes on facebook.
Roberto:
I saw your list of 8 points, it does look like Sh** 100% all posts were about economics and money and how bad it all looks.
But I will still say that I belive the best action is to stand tall with an iron fist even if it means living on the street ( yes Ive done that too and I didnt die of it )

Old 02 February 2013   #56
Originally Posted by gkmotu: But I will still say that I belive the best action is to stand tall with an iron fist even if it means living on the street ( yes Ive done that too and I didnt die of it )
Yeah, try that with a wife and kids.

Old 02 February 2013   #57
Originally Posted by DSW: Yeah, try that with a wife and kids.

This is where you and I fundamentally are different.
I can prove and document my wife and our kids ( 3 cats ) were homless due principle reasons I made regarding work.
Unrelated to this type of slavery you all present for me, however a slavery of my mind.

If you belive something strong enough you can do it.
Now - go make a change

Old 02 February 2013   #58
Eventually ... In time all big box office VFX development will return to the region of origin which is L.A. Economics will dictate this as as much as many think, once tax credit disappear, expertise and the benefits it entails will determine where business gets done. With all industries there is localization, because population expertise and accessibility dictates this.

I have heard all kinds of grumbling in the IT industry that too often cultural and language shifts cause all kinds of issues with efficiency, and in the end it's no longer cost effective to go abroad.
www.perryshulakcreative.com

Old 02 February 2013   #59
As far as jobs going to other countries--remember it's not fair to you to be paid less than you're worth either

Old 02 February 2013   #60
Originally Posted by gkmotu: I see nothing but green boxes on facebook.
Roberto:
I saw your list of 8 points, it does look like Sh** 100% all posts were about economics and money and how bad it all looks.
But I will still say that I belive the best action is to stand tall with an iron fist even if it means living on the street ( yes Ive done that too and I didnt die of it )

I suggest you watch both your language, and how you interact with other users.

You've been going down a slippery slope from being the weird, funny to read guy, to being outright provocative, offensive, and generally aggressive.

I'm not inclined to put it down to a language barrier any longer, and I suggest you make an effort to not only collect your thoughts a bit, and offer something more insightful than empty chest beating rhetoric, but also try to be less confrontational about it.

Thread Closed share thread