VFX protests at Oscars Master Thread: (VFX Townhall tonight at 7:45PM PST)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #61
Originally Posted by teruchan: I worked in VFX for years. I have been laid off 4 different times. The last time I was laid off, I decided to try something different. I ADAPTED. That's why I am here. Far from being clueless, Mr. BOB, why are my old bosses in Hollywood contacting me trying to get work done over here? Why are my colleagues from before asking what it takes to get here and what kind of work is available? You'd be SURPRISED how many calls, mails, IMs I get saying, "Dude, you got out at the right time." or "You had the right idea. Did you see it coming?"

Sitting around and complaining never accomplished anything.

So after years working in vfx, I take it this is your IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2989964/. You decided to move to china, start a vfx firm. Now your Hollywood bosses are asking you to do what ? Please do tell.

b

Old 02 February 2013   #62
with no Union and even raising the idea of a union might get you blacklisted it's difficult to see a good outcome for VFX artists in the near future

also throw into the mix the smaller world we live in with VFX studios around the world pitching for shots to work on and lower overheads in say india or china it hard for usa/europe studio's to compete on price.

add to that the world wide ecconomic state we're all in.

in someways ADAPTING and getting off the bus is a good option to look at.

the industry is changing because the technology to work from anywhere is now up for grabs.

i'm not in the industry so feel free to imdb me.

i'll leave you with a old phrase "buggy whips"

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Old 02 February 2013   #63
There will be a second protest in Vancouver.
Quote:
  • The VFX Community is in crisis. There are no easy answers but the studios are making profits while VFX companies are unable to keep their doors open. The LA community is protesting tomorrow afternoon before the Oscars. I say we join them at the Vancouver Art Gallery at the same time (1p - 4:30p). Wear your R+H, DD, Orphanage, Cafe Fx, (insert dead VFX company name) hoodie, ball cap, crew shirt, etc and come down to the Vancouver Art Gallery. Let's show LA they are not alone in fighting this battle. Who's with me??
http://www.facebook.com/events/508037669263348/
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 02 February 2013   #64
Originally Posted by teruchan: I worked in VFX for years. I have been laid off 4 different times. The last time I was laid off, I decided to try something different. I ADAPTED. That's why I am here. Far from being clueless, Mr. BOB, why are my old bosses in Hollywood contacting me trying to get work done over here? Why are my colleagues from before asking what it takes to get here and what kind of work is available? You'd be SURPRISED how many calls, mails, IMs I get saying, "Dude, you got out at the right time." or "You had the right idea. Did you see it coming?"

Sitting around and complaining never accomplished anything.

You worked on four TV productions and then quit the industry? I don't see how quitting is the same thing as adapting. It doesn't really look as if you gave the industry much of a chance at all.

Old 02 February 2013   #65
Originally Posted by cresshead: with no Union and even raising the idea of a union might get you blacklisted it's difficult to see a good outcome for VFX artists in the near future

Considering the career prospects of people over 40+ in this industry, you might as well be blacklisted.

I see no problem fighting back and trying to make your voice heard.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 02 February 2013 at 11:15 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #66
exactly..that's the turning point when people make a stand...nothing to lose

where all this was going was first hilighted to me here on the forums with journey to the centre of the earth where vfx artists did some good work but never got paid

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Old 02 February 2013   #67
Originally Posted by AJ1: Who wouldn't want to work here? This isn't DPRK. People are free to come and go as they please.

I know you don't mean it that way, but this could be very easily misread as a very arrogant statement which plays into bad stereotypes of Americans.

People really aren't "free" to just come and go as they please with the US. Compared to most other developed countries, work permits (and even travel permits) are comparatively difficult to get for the US. It's much easier, for example, for an American worker to get a British work visa than vice versa. Considering the relatively strict criteria for an H1B and the fact that there's an annual quota, they're really not as easy to get as you're making out. Furthermore, "why wouldn't" people "want to live" there? Well, for a start, because living on the other side of the planet from your friends and family isn't really the easiest thing in the world. Have you ever tried it? It's not exactly a decision that you just spontaneously make, especially once you've over 30 or so.

Old 02 February 2013   #68
Originally Posted by mr Bob: So after years working in vfx, I take it this is your IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2989964/. You decided to move to china, start a vfx firm. Now your Hollywood bosses are asking you to do what ? Please do tell.

b

VFX for B monster movies, disaster movies and SyFy pictures, only cheaper. That and the occasional game cinematic. IMDB is blocked here so I can't see what that page says.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 02 February 2013   #69
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: There will be a second protest in Vancouver.

Given that the out of work BC film crews are 100 percent in favor of government subsidies things could get interesting.

Old 02 February 2013   #70
Originally Posted by kelgy: Given that the out of work BC film crews are 100 percent in favor of government subsidies things could get interesting.

That's almost no different from students WANTING to work for free so that they can get a job that ultimately won't be there. It's desperation and hoping that if you "outbid" the next Province or country, you'll get work for a long time. It will be self-defeating and soon taxpayers will see that the returns diminish and diminish.

Old 02 February 2013   #71
This industry may be easier for artists willing to move frequently...

Originally Posted by leigh: ...living on the other side of the planet from your friends and family isn't really the easiest thing in the world. Have you ever tried it? It's not exactly a decision that you just spontaneously make, especially once you've over 30 or so.

Yep. I know American VFX artists who dropped everything to move to London, New Zealand, Vancouver, India, Singapore, Korea, Japan, Louisiana, New Mexico, Michigan...wherever the VFX work led them. Most of them were over 30, and a few had families and/or mortgages, but it was definitely easier on the those artists with no attachments.

A VFX shop in Los Angeles recently told its artists to relocate to Vancouver or lose their jobs. That way the VFX shop could continue to use Los Angeles talent while Canada paid for most of it. The younger artists chose to relocate. The older, more experienced artists chose to stay and look for work, since they had developed roots in Los Angeles.

So far I've been lucky to move only once in my 14-year career -- from my home state to Los Angeles. However, it's possible that this industry will be easier for those VFX artists willing to jump from state to state, province to province, country to country.

Old 02 February 2013   #72
Smile

Originally Posted by DSW: Yes they will.

The Clone Wars look okay because that is what is expected. You can't take "Clone Wars" and place those FX in a photo realistic movie. You can't tell me (or anyone else) that audiences wouldn't notice.

I can't say how many times a family member would look at something on the screen and say "that looked fake." When you start hearing that more and more - and you will - reviewers of movies will state it plainly how low the bar seems for so-called "block-buster VFX" and the public and the movie studios WILL take notice. Try to take your average SyFy movie VFX (again a SUPER low budget) and expect audiences NOT to notice.

Interestingly, at least for me, I don't mind much about the vfx.

My personal rules was this:

Is the story OK? If not, meh. Is if good, is the acting OK? If not, meh. If the acting is good, is the vfx OK? If not, that's okay. If good, wow!

I've seen the nuclear warhead in Smallville and every other effect in Merlin. And I found out in recent 3D World that the company doing effect on Merlin was pretty new. But Merlin was fun.

If someone made a Merlin the MOVIE and Promethius 2 and Avengers 2, I'd go to Merlin the Movie. Search the forum for my complain on Promethius and Avengers.

And Teruchan, Ghost Ship and Lake Placid 2, whoa! I liked those.

Old 02 February 2013   #73
Originally Posted by DSW: That's almost no different from students WANTING to work for free so that they can get a job that ultimately won't be there. It's desperation and hoping that if you "outbid" the next Province or country, you'll get work for a long time. It will be self-defeating and soon taxpayers will see that the returns diminish and diminish.

You do realise that out of work means "need money now to pay foods, bills and rent"(at least for most people), right?

People can talk about "race to the bottom", "unite and stand for the good of vfx industry" etc etc, but bottom line is, people need jobs ASAP to survive.

Same reason for LA people has to move to chase work, you can't expect people outside US to not take the job created by subsidy just because it's wrong/whatever reason.

Not sure about other people, but I do need to buy food and pay rent to survive.

Old 02 February 2013   #74
Originally Posted by DSW: That's almost no different from students WANTING to work for free so that they can get a job that ultimately won't be there. It's desperation and hoping that if you "outbid" the next Province or country, you'll get work for a long time. It will be self-defeating and soon taxpayers will see that the returns diminish and diminish.

I dont support the subsidies.
There had been Hollywood strikes in the past that slowed down production work here, dollar fluctuations, and they knew it was unstable. The film agency leadership knew it wouldnt last. It also doesnt help domestic production--creating more independent home grown jobs. I dont know about Ontario or Quebec but BC does not encourage domestic film production.

One of the campaigns here talked to Uwe Boll to promote subsidies. That's desperate.

Old 02 February 2013   #75
Originally Posted by teruchan: VFX for B monster movies, disaster movies and SyFy pictures, only cheaper. That and the occasional game cinematic. IMDB is blocked here so I can't see what that page says.

So lets get this straight your adaption was to leave LA , open a shop in China and do the VFX there.
So what are you doing to combat your Hollywood budgets shrinking and your labour costs rising in China ?. After all you have no leverage to ask Hollywood for more money as someone else will do the work for less.

b

Thread Closed share thread