VFX protests at Oscars Master Thread: (VFX Townhall tonight at 7:45PM PST)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Here is an example of what production unions do in other areas in post:

Editors Call Strike On History Channel’s ‘Swamp People’
http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/swa...channel-series/
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

02 February 2013
Important Omission: Scott Ross never says he's going to show up for this "protest", just leaves a "post-it" for what the people who do attend have to say.

("YOU pick a spot with lots of parking."... "The media will meet YOU there.")

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 02 February 2013 at 10:51 PM.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by vfx: ok and if we all took that mentality, what should we think of Ghandi and Mandella etc?

Please don't compare yourself/other vfx people to Ghandi and Mandella.

02 February 2013
I guess the real question is, will anyone in the media actually pick up on this and give them time...

02 February 2013
On one hand, I think an organised picket is pointless and won't achieve anything because the public doesn't give a shit. People want to see stars at the Oscars, nothing else.

But on the other hand, I'm getting a little tired of people who don't even work in VFX constantly posting and telling those of us who do how we should feel about our jobs falling apart.

02 February 2013
I agree with richcz3. The problem is not on the client side.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by tswalk: I guess the real question is, will anyone in the media actually pick up on this and give them time...
I don't think anyone knows for sure but the LA Times has already reported on the plan which includes a plane flying around the red carpet with a sign saying “BOXOFFICE + BANKRUPT = VISUAL EFFECTS VFXUNION.COM"

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by earwax69: I agree with richcz3. The problem is not on the client side.

Really?

With studio heads saying that they "haven't done their job unless they've helped another VFX studio go out of business" by the end of a picture? VFX houses try to stay alive any way they can and HOPE(d) that things would change before they'd have to pay the piper. People have done and continue to do this all of the time - laid off from work? No money coming in? Keep using the credit card and HOPE that you will get that job to pay it all back.

The client isn't the problem? Perhaps not the whole problem, but certainly a BIG part of it.

02 February 2013
Clients always want to pay less if they can. That should be expected. VXF studios charging peanuts started the downward spiral. Hard to avoid in 2013 as the field is so saturated.

I also think that those bankrupts are just a way to escape with the money without paying the employees or to break old contracts that are too expensive to maintain in this new reality.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by earwax69: Clients always want to pay less if they can. That should be expected. VXF studios charging peanuts started the downward spiral. Hard to avoid in 2013 as the field is so saturated.
You are joking, right?

Originally Posted by earwax69: I also think that those bankrupts are just a way to escape with the money without paying the employees or to break old contracts that are too expensive to maintain in this new reality.
Some yes, some no. You can't generalize all of them.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by DSW: You are joking, right?

No, he's actually right about that. With so many studios competing for awards, it's becoming increasingly common for insane underbidding to take place, which does drive down the price from the vendor's side, absolutely. I've heard stories of studios offering to do entire sections of projects for free, just to get the award.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by leigh: No, he's actually right about that. With so many studios competing for awards, it's becoming increasingly common for insane underbidding to take place, which does drive down the price from the vendor's side, absolutely. I've heard stories of studios offering to do entire sections of projects for free, just to get the award.

Yes, and if you read my previous response:

With studio heads saying that they "haven't done their job unless they've helped another VFX studio go out of business" by the end of a picture? VFX houses try to stay alive any way they can and HOPE(d) that things would change before they'd have to pay the piper. People have done and continue to do this all of the time - laid off from work? No money coming in? Keep using the credit card and HOPE that you will get that job to pay it all back.

I'm sure this is precisely what they were thinking - that it would not continue down this road. You don't think it's the clients who are pitting the VFX studios against each other? You think that the VFX studios WANT to obtain less and less cash? Sorry, but I don't think you can blame the VFX houses for this continuing debacle.

02 February 2013
I'm not saying they're the ones who started it, but they certainly facilitated it. Just like people who work overtime and then complain about it - stop doing the overtime then. When you become a part of something, then you become part of that problem.

02 February 2013
Trying to assign blame at all is a waste of time. Industries change. Look at cars, shoes, or CD players. Everyone is trying to fight against it, but no one is trying to adapt.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by leigh: I'm not saying they're the ones who started it, but they certainly facilitated it. Just like people who work overtime and then complain about it - stop doing the overtime then. When you become a part of something, then you become part of that problem.

I agree with you. But then where does that leave these VFX houses?

The ONLY other alternative - since they are VFX houses created to produce VFX - is to close up shop. Not an easy decision nor one I would like to make. And how would you go about that? Can you imagine being in that conference room and discussing this problem? "Studio1 wants us to do these VFX for 100x when we need 110x to make a decent profit. If we don't take it, we'll have to close up shop. Maybe we'll be able to make it up on Studio2's project. Let's see what happens."

I would probably bid a "little less" on the next job as well - and so on. I think that most people reading this forum - without knowing the outcome - would do the same. They really had no choice since they were already "a part of something" as they were another link in the chain of movie-making. How would you disconnect being "a part of something"?

Thread Closed share thread