animated movies CAST

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
animated movies CAST

ok people, tell me why in animated movies - character animators are not treated in the same way as voice actors?? I see voice actors first and character animators names after movie. WTF? Who give performance? It's very arrogance, egoistic, etc to not treat character animators in this way.

I just started to watch DespicableMe today and I see as the movie start names: Steve Carell, Jason Segel, Kristen Wiig... huh!? who they are?! I wanna see character animator names!!!

Last edited by Baq : 02 February 2013 at 06:35 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #2
Uh, is this a serious question?

Old 02 February 2013   #3
of course it's serious, character animators should be treated in right way, they give performance for characters,

Old 02 February 2013   #4
Let's just think about it for a second: Actors spend their whole careers building their face and name recognition. They have agents whose full time job it is to promote them and get them work. They have unions to represent them. They have a gigantic world-wide press machine that reports on their every move. They have carefully negotiated contracts that utilize all their acting skills and recognition in the service of promoting or selling scripts, attracting directors, and ultimately, viewers.

Animators work in a below the line (look it up) service industry. No such infrastructure exists to promote or reward animators. It's a technical role that can (honestly) be filled by any one of dozens of talented animators, whereas the "Harrison Ford role" can be filled by one only person. And besides, do we really need a 'star system' for animators, too?

Old 02 February 2013   #5
sir, that sounds very ignorant; animators also spend their whole careers building their performance recognition; and true - actors have unions, money, more money and mooore money, so perhaps that's why it's all happen, but again there is no reason why voice actors are treated OVER character animators

it's not technical role You ignorant and it's not about star system(but it looks like) it's about justice

Old 02 February 2013   #6
I think you are confusing what you want with reality.
Sure, what you say would be nice but it ain't gonna happen. Star power sells movies, not animators unfortunately.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 02 February 2013   #7
If I follow your logic, why only animators then? Why not all and everyone involved in the movie making process?

Old 02 February 2013   #8
I'm following this thread for no other reason than to see how many more times Artbot will be called ignorant by someone whos never noticed before now that voice actors are credited before animators. I've heard they may even get paid more too.

Old 02 February 2013   #9
Sorry dude, but without lighters we couldn't even SEE your character animation, so it should be MY face on the poster!

Old 02 February 2013   #10

__________________________________________________ _

Old 02 February 2013   #11
Paging Andy Serkis..

Old 02 February 2013   #12
Because people don't care about the animators. They don't really care about the stuff going on behind the final output.
And I don't understand why this is such a big deal, if you want random people to worship you and know your name, go be an actor.
Of course it's a bit different with the Andy Serkins story ... while I don't think we need the fame of an actor, downplaying our role to "buttonpushing monkeys who put MY great performance on screen" is just rude.

However, the names and faces of those actors sell the film to the masses, so they get to be first. As long as they respect the work of others I'm really fine with that.
Many people who are not involved in CG would have a hard time understanding the stuff behind the scenes anyway. And those people who understand it (like us) already know the names of those great animators, so its not like they get no recognition or credit for their work.

Old 02 February 2013   #13
...and to to steer things in a slightly different direction for a moment...

I was just talking to my teacher last night about whether or not there's some sort of credit list for animated movies so that you can see which animator did which shot? He didn't know of anything like that.
I thought it would be a cool resource for animators if you wanted to see who did a certain shot, but never saw it on a demo reel.
Is there anything like that open to the public? The studios must have that information recorded somewhere.

Old 02 February 2013   #14
Originally Posted by og_reborn: Is there anything like that open to the public? The studios must have that information recorded somewhere.

If you hunt around you can see progress reels and the like from specific animators showing shots they worked on. Here are a couple of great examples.

https://vimeo.com/44181679
https://vimeo.com/34080897

Cheers,
Brian

Old 02 February 2013   #15
Why can't the KEY GRIP get no props, HM!

Screw Harrison Ford. Johnny dafugalstuffin. Key. GRIP!

Thread Closed share thread