How is your 3D drawing skills? 3D pen in kickstarter

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #16
Originally Posted by Cromfel: Thats the 3D drawing skills part... Not everyone can make much out of 2D drawings either. It takes time and patience to learn the craft.

I don't think that's what he meant. What keeps me from wanting this is that it just looks like strings of molten plastic or hardened glue-goo put together (because after all, that's pretty much what it is). It doesn't look clean, and no matter how well you can handle the pen, it won't look any different than that.

This doesn't mean that you can't make cool things and (especially) artsy stuff with it, but it doesn't really have anything to do with the clean, perfect objects a 3D printer spits out.

Old 02 February 2013   #17
Phase 2: 3Doodler animations!!!

Old 02 February 2013   #18
Man, they are only a 3rd of the way through the campaign and its almost $2 million. That is crazy.
There's a bike one of them made that's pretty cool looking. I'll be curious to see what other styles come out of this when different people get it instead of the current scribbles most of them seem to make.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 02 February 2013   #19
I'm curious to see how people will use this in conjuction with other things - ie. using this to make a frame and then wrapping something around it to make a closed object.

Old 03 March 2013   #20
Originally Posted by chalkeye: Oh jeez, I can't wait for this 3d printing hype bubble to burst.
Gimmicky rubbish!

Not exactly the place I expected to hear that sentiment. I worry that it will never become affordable or practical, but being able to print models from meshes has been a dream of mine since I first heard of the early protoyping machines.

I grew up on model kits and figures, I can't imagine how many little doo dads I'd print out if it were dirt cheap. Given time that's likely to happen eventually. When it does, every game will have some means to 3D-print out toys. You know those cool bullet-time captures Bungie would use to show off Halo? Someday you'll be a click away from having one physically sitting on your desk.

Old 03 March 2013   #21
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread