CGTalk > Main > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 02-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
Puerto Rico
Im a complete rookie!

So here is the thing... IM A COMPLETE ROOKIE!!! I am a huge fan of CGI, drawings and animation, ever since i had my first super Nintendo. My family was really poor so i never had a computer until 2004, and the computer we had was really crappy, plus i didn't get internet until 2006. To get straight to the point i just want to get pointed in the right direction. I have a lot of ideas that i want to develop. I have very little knowledge of how to use Maya and any help will be greatly appreciated. I just want suggestions on what to work on first, what things i have to address first, what is essential and what is less important.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:21 AM   #2
CG Artist
Thomas Strong
Creative Fusion
Appleton, USA
What kind of work would you be doing in 3D? That drives what software would be recommended for you to use and learn.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:16 AM   #3
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
If you have little knowledge of how to use Maya then the beginning tutorials will get you up and running pretty fast. I am not saying that to appear clever but because it is something that is most overlooked. If I want to work out a bit of software quick I go straight for the baby lessons.
The terminal velocity of individual particles is directly related to pink rabbits on a bank holiday.
Characters, Games, Toys

Last edited by Kanga : 02-25-2013 at 03:46 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
Always Learning
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland
Youtube is your friend. Lots of helpful videos out there. Some rubbish as well but once you find the good ones you will find yourself improving quickly.
I like to learn.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:27 AM   #5
Puerto Rico
Thanks guys! I will go and take those baby steps. Basics all the way! By the way what i want is to model and animate! and im really eager to start creating my own characters and stories, but i guess there is no shortcut there. I really appreciate your responses, this is something that i like about artist communities. thanks again
Old 02-25-2013, 01:35 AM   #6
Senior 3D Artist
Ravindra Badgujar
New Delhi, India
you can also get maya fundamentals training from, i find it really nice and its not pricey. but will give you step by step guide. you can also find stuff on youtube but it will be all scattered with good and bad tutorials.
3ds max scripts

Old 02-26-2013, 01:35 AM   #7
What you probably want to learn how to do first, is how to poly model things. Learn how to create basic props like lamps, wrenches, etc. Look up videos on youtube like maya basics or modeling tutorials. Then you can move on to how to make characters, for which there are plenty of videos. I recomend that you get a sculpting software that is free, and start learning how to sculpt characters instead of poly modeling them from scratch which is more slow, and tedious; however those characters that you sculpt will have to be retopologized but you can do that in maya so don't worry. Then move on to rigging, animation, and texturing.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:35 AM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread