What you miss in software?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #31
Keyboard shortcuts in Photoshop for different customised brush sets.
I.e., press F2 and you have wet brushes, F3 and it's the overlay/multiply/screen brush, etc, etc.

Old 02 February 2013   #32
Render Passes like Softimage to be standard issue every where!

I can't speak for Houdini but neither Max nor Maya do what I want with their incomplete render pass solutions.
-render a holdout with say an effect without destructively changing the surfaces of the geometry of the scene. I have to duplicate the geometry and do holdouts on that! Grr! Oh yes and save a special scene for it -double -grr!

Basically a full and proper partition system has not been implemented except in Softimage. The differences on the surface are hard to see unless you *know* passes/partitions in Softimage...

grrr a third time for good measure.

Old 02 February 2013   #33
Thousands of presets of photoreal, animation ready 100 million poly humans / animals / buildings and environments / effects that animate and interact and render in realtime according to the story script or just by yelling "action!".

I played through a couple of vintage documentary/promo videos about the early days of CG on youtube yesterday. Pixars early days, softimage promos etc... I think if we give it another 30 years, we will get something along the lines of the paragraph above .

Old 02 February 2013   #34
Originally Posted by Poisen: Deluxe-Paint

AMEN!
Here is a cool online tutorial for Deluxe Paint IV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1KC4tYkteo

It was INCREDIBLY easy program to do animation with.

also I miss how intuitive the toolsets from
Amiga Vision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7KIZQzYSls

Of ever better the classic animation toolset from Disney Animation Studio:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSeYivHZpB8

IT is sad that the PC won the computer wars. The AMIGa was really a computer ahead of its time.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 02 February 2013   #35
With the new windows 8 release, which i really dislike... and really dont have bright thought about the direction windows is going, i hope that they would give linux some more attention... but i strongly doubt that would happen anytime soon.

Old 02 February 2013   #36
Wink

Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR: With the new windows 8 release, which i really dislike... and really dont have bright thought about the direction windows is going, i hope that they would give linux some more attention... but i strongly doubt that would happen anytime soon.

I think your "anytime soon" will arrive next year.

You should see the latest video on Ubuntu tab OS. And how it integrate with UIbuntu Phone and Ubuntu desktop. The good thing about Android market, IOS market, and Windows market is that casual users now understand about the difference of application for each OS. (ios app is for ios, mac app is for mac, android app is for android) and the best bet is to buy via os marketplace.

With Valve going headway into Linux, and game engines are supporting Linux (such as Unity), there will be a time where casual users will move to Ubuntu. And if you see Ubuntu demo lately and realize that you can use Windows Office in virtualization, I guess the time have arrived.

I hope.

Old 02 February 2013   #37
i miss Photoshop features when I'm in Zbrush, and miss Zbrush features when I'm in Photoshop.

Old 02 February 2013   #38
I miss Nuke nodes when I am in After Effects and I miss the After Effects text stuff when I am in Nuke.

I miss real 32 bit proper color managed linear everything and a nodal interface when I go from Nuke to Photoshop.

I miss Photoshop brushes in Nuke. I miss Adobe Illustrator art brushes in Photoshop.

I miss command lines whenever a program doesn't have one.

Old 02 February 2013   #39
Originally Posted by soryn: in 3DSMAX, I just miss a bug free fully functional integration with After Effects
in After Effects - a decent 3D space

Whats wrong with Max2AE? It works perfectly for me every time..

Old 02 February 2013   #40
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR: With the new windows 8 release, which i really dislike... and really dont have bright thought about the direction windows is going, i hope that they would give linux some more attention... but i strongly doubt that would happen anytime soon.

What "direction"? Adding support for tablet devices and phones?

I wish Apple could show more of this thinking, but the dumber Apple gets the more they sell.

Old 02 February 2013   #41
But nobody mentioned Apple, why so instant attack ?

Old 02 February 2013   #42
Originally Posted by thethule: Whats wrong with Max2AE? It works perfectly for me every time..

MAX2AE works fine, I think that is actually the best solution to integrate the two.
but I also think it should be deeply integrated in main software, the new interoperability from MAX2013 gives some bright perspective with the new "compositor-link", unfortunately it doesn't work that good every time.

both Autodesk and Adobe should take this to the next step

Old 02 February 2013   #43
I want my max hotkeys in
Zbrush
Motionbuilder
Unity
Photoshop
Vegas
Sonar
Maya
Notepad++

The middle mouse button should be banned from anything other than scrolling because it hasn't learned to click, ever!

Old 02 February 2013   #44
Originally Posted by Kanga: The middle mouse button should be banned from anything other than scrolling because it hasn't learned to click, ever!

Not if you use a Wacom pen.. it works fine then! It's mice that should be banned IMO, they are a sure way to get RSI if you work with a computer all day.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 02 February 2013   #45
Originally Posted by Kanga: The middle mouse button should be banned from anything other than scrolling because it hasn't learned to click, ever!

That's why I use the MX518: Three buttons instead of one dumb wheel-clicker.

Whoever added the clickable wheel should be punished by having every single button in his or her world converted to a clickable wheel button.

Thread Closed share thread