What you miss in software?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Reactor particles and hair & fur collision in Blender.

02 February 2013
3D modelling in MS Paint.

(I kid I kid)
umm, hitting Tab to bring up object/node creation in a lot of apps. Best design decision in Nuke/Katana (whatever had it before too)

02 February 2013
Deluxe-Paint

there are 3 things which may not long be hidden.
The Sun
The Moon
and The Truth.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Artbot: The Photoshop UI is 25 years old, with the biggest change being some dockable windows.
On the flip-side, this is why I absolutely love Photoshop. I know it's not changed a great deal but I really like how brilliantly (and deceptively) simplistic it is.

That said I've been using it for 17 years now and use the keyboard for 99.9% of navigation and tools, which I appreciate isn't ideal for everyone.

There are lots of things I'd like to see in Photoshop; node based editing, proper support of 32 bit editing...etc. but if they touched the interface I'd probably burst.

02 February 2013
In Mari - seeing actual pixels while texturing. It's not that convenient when you can't see how it tiles on other objects, and you need to project it to actually see how it blurs. It would be nice if they could make such a mode for game artists.

02 February 2013
grouping of layers in max, without the use of a script or plugin.

Not really a miss, more of a wish

02 February 2013
Apple support... or maybe it's the other way around!

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by mister3d: In Mari - seeing actual pixels while texturing. It's not that convenient when you can't see how it tiles on other objects, and you need to project it to actually see how it blurs. It would be nice if they could make such a mode for game artists.

I'm not sure I understand.

Mari gives you a pixel-for-pixel preview of your textures before you bake. There shouldn't be any visual change when projection occurs.

Mari doesn't apply bi-linear filtering when zoomed in close so you can see pixels.

Are you talking about the UV tiling shader module being baked onto a channel?

Could you give me some more information?

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by forelle: I'm not sure I understand.

Mari gives you a pixel-for-pixel preview of your textures before you bake. There shouldn't be any visual change when projection occurs.

Mari doesn't apply bi-linear filtering when zoomed in close so you can see pixels.

Are you talking about the UV tiling shader module being baked onto a channel?

Could you give me some more information?

Maybe I didn't explore it well enough, so I apologize if so. I mean when I draw with a brush, I don't see actual pixels until I move the object to reproject.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by mister3d: Maybe I didn't explore it well enough, so I apologize if so. I mean when I draw with a brush, I don't see actual pixels until I move the object to reproject.

Although the paint stays in the paint buffer until you bake / move, the projection is happening live and is pixel accurate. You should not see any softening (or indeed any noticable change) when this occurs.

A good way to see this is to turn bake behaviour to "Manual" and paint in the buffer. If you now zoom into the model you'll see the projection update real-time to show the exact result.

Here I've painted into the buffer when zoomed out.

If I now zoom in (without baking) the paint will be projected onto fewer and fewer pixels. The live preview shows us this in realtime. When I do project or bake, there is no visual difference.

No surprises here then.

02 February 2013
in 3DSMAX, I just miss a bug free fully functional integration with After Effects
in After Effects - a decent 3D space

02 February 2013
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by forelle: Although the paint stays in the paint buffer until you bake / move, the projection is happening live and is pixel accurate. You should not see any softening (or indeed any noticable change) when this occurs.

A good way to see this is to turn bake behaviour to "Manual" and paint in the buffer. If you now zoom into the model you'll see the projection update real-time to show the exact result.

Thanks a lot for this explanation! Where's that switch to manual?

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by mister3d: Thanks a lot for this explanation! Where's that switch to manual?

It's in the projection palette, the option is called "Bake Behaviour"

02 February 2013
modo - full particle system

Actually though, I agree with what was written above that software has gotten better and better and many things have become super easy that were difficult or impossible to me ten years ago.

I still would love to be able to crumble a building with lots of dust, smoke and fire all in realtime (both calculations and rendering) though!
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by forelle: It's in the projection palette, the option is called "Bake Behaviour"

Thank you. It though relies on baking anyway at the end (but I see it's indeed sharply corresponds to real pixels, which is great). Is it possible the option of live preview in the future for texturing? For example you paint one wheel of a tank, but in order to see how the texture tiles on other wheels (if it shares the same uvw's), it would be nice if it would be live, as an option. It's quite often you need to paint tiled textures and see it in real-time to get rid of obvious tiling.

Thread Closed share thread