Where can I find something to work on?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
Where can I find something to work on?

Hi,

Was just going through the collab forums but most stuff is old or not to my interest, is there somewhere else I can look for this sort of stuff?

I did some google searching for collab forums etc but nothing worthwhile came up, and I'm really just trying to find something to do to keep my skills sharp while waiting for some work to come up since I find I'm forgetting stuff..... worst country ever to be a rigger in = NZ. Ever.

I'm not here to advertise my services, I just want to know where I can go to find projects so please don't ask me if I want to work on *.

Old 02 February 2013   #2
It really depends on what you are wanting to do.

Browse around Kickstarter for some cool film projects that attract you, and offer your services there if you want to do film work.
Google around for some cool game mods if you want to do game stuff.

There are hundreds of projects and teams out there looking for skilled developers to help them.

Old 02 February 2013   #3
Didn't think of kickstarter; thanks for the suggestion.

Used to just browsing through forums I guess

Old 02 February 2013   #4
No luck there; maybe I'm doing it wrong but there's no category for 3D, so I'm looking under 'animation' or 'short films' and finding rare few 3D projects. Not really sure what I'm doing.

I also don't know how to make it give me the damned results, I don't want to just see the most popular, staff picks, or well funded or whatever. I want to browse through them and pick one or two to contact. This seems needlessly complicated.

Old 02 February 2013   #5
Lots of people advertising small paid or volunteer projects on the numerous VFX/CG-y type groups on LinkedIn.

Old 02 February 2013   #6
Why not work on your own personal project? If you're having trouble finding work as a rigger (and I doubt New Zealand is close to the worst place to be for this), maybe try branching out into some other areas?

Old 02 February 2013   #7
I had a look through the linkedin groups - honestly I've never needed or benefited from a profile but based on what you say I found my info and logged in, but I'm not seeing any of these groups with all those jobs etc. Mind pointing me in the right direction?

I don't want to work on my own project, that also really has nothing to do with the purpose of this thread as I'm not after those types of suggestions. Not to say it's not appreciated or anything, I've just already considered that and veered away from it. Also NZ has two studios in the entire country that use riggers for anything more than a single freelance job. There's insufficient work to make a living by a long long LONG shot. I haven't had a job in a year and I consistently keep in touch with every studio I can find, and my reel is good enough as you can see in my signature, so yeah NZ quite possibly is the worst place for a rigger to be. I can't get out either, because I need money to do that and I can't get it without work.

This is turning into a bit of a whine, sorry about that.

As for branching out into other areas, I've tried, just can't motivate myself enough to get there. I'd animate but I've never had a model in my hands (that can be used in personal projects) that keeps me interested long enough to rig it; I'm not a good enough modeller to make a convincing enough character that appeals to people staring at the screen for X amount of time.

Right now I'm just trying to find a project of sufficient quality to fit into my reel when it reaches fruition, and also gives me the opportunity to practice what I've lost touch with. Something that's a cartoon and has a convincing enough story. Am I asking too much?

Last edited by JaredTaylor : 02 February 2013 at 10:09 AM.

Old 02 February 2013   #8
I find it difficult to believe that there aren't dozens of short and/or indie films, happening right now, be they live action or CGI, that need some kind of character or creature rigged. There should even be plenty of fan films out there begging for VFX help.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 02 February 2013   #9
Having the same problem, wanted something to work on to improve/maintain my comp skills in between jobs but can't seen to find anything, i'm sure there are indie movies being done i just think they're not very good at asking for help.

Old 02 February 2013   #10
Hi,

I have a featurette project that could do with some rigging.

Called "Daishi" a live action film with VFX (east meets west meets intrigue). To be shot on the new Blackmagic Design Cinema camera with camera motion tracking tech.

There is only one CGI character but it's one of the main characters in the story. It's a troll/ape like creature but it talks and walks. Well it talks initially then loses its power of speech and then just grunts.

I am based in the UK (London) and doing some tests with Systems in Motion (Mo-Sys), plus a short film. They did camera motion for films like Immortals, The Social Network etc. They do have the best markerless tracking system I've seen plus also crane arms. The latter I was using.

Note that I don't have a model either but I am currently on the CG Society's 3D Creature Scuplting by Bryan Wynia, hoping to come out with skills to do a cool model.

For the short film/featurette, I can send over the treatment, so you can decide if you like the story at least.

Cheers,
Jules

Old 02 February 2013   #11
Originally Posted by JaredTaylor: I had a look through the linkedin groups - honestly I've never needed or benefited from a profile but based on what you say I found my info and logged in, but I'm not seeing any of these groups with all those jobs etc. Mind pointing me in the right direction?

I'm being approached constantly through LinkedIn for work, you should really put some time into networking with people on it. I've spoken to several recruiters whos first plan of action when hiring for a new show is send out a feeler to their LinkedIn connections. Anyways, at the top of the homepage is a tab called Groups. On that page should be a search bar at the top where you can search VFX, Animation, CG, Maya, etc. Theyre mostly full of people advertising their own reels and sites but there are also lots of people trying to get little short films or games going.

Old 02 February 2013   #12
Try mandy.com, I remember there being quite a lot of indie film projects on there.

Old 02 February 2013   #13
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread