Old 02-19-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
sumchans
Know-it-All
portfolio
Sumesh Chandran
Toronto, Canada

Please help me with this.

Hello all,

I am right now doing a project that resembles the 9/11 attacks and I am almost 25% on it. Recently few of my friends just pulled me back from continuing with it, as it may cause problems later. Would it cause any problems later? Somebody please help me solve this dilemma.This project would finally be part of my show reel and will be posted on Youtube after completion. I just dont know whether to continue with it or just drop it. I thought about the stuff I would be learning from this project and that is what is tempting me to be on it. Right now just moving forward slowly with slight fear in mind.

Description of the project:

The planes will be hitting 2 buildings[which are modelled] and one building will be collapsing.And finally a few helicopters will be flying into the scene to make it more like a hollywood movie. A lot will be learned on FumeFX from this project.
The picture I will be using as the backdrop and the picture of one of the modelled buildings is attached.

Requesting serious help. Want more opinions on this.

Thanks for the contd help.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

I wouldn't recommend it. There are plenty of destruction VFX projects you could do that wouldn't risk offending someone who might otherwise hire you. If you have some point that you're trying to make, don't let people censor you, but if you're just going for pretty explosions, don't do anything needlessly controversial.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #3
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

I do think that you'd be running a high risk of offence with this one, as it's such a highly sensitive subject and, more importantly, a huge tragedy that is still very recent. To be totally honest, if I saw something like this on someone's reel, I'd think it pretty tasteless.

Perhaps a better idea would be to have an alien mothership attacking, and blasting the buildings with a death ray or something. Ultimately, it'd still give you a chance to do some FumeFX work, but without the risk of touching any nerves.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #4
sumchans
Know-it-All
portfolio
Sumesh Chandran
Toronto, Canada

Thanks Meloncov & Leigh for the speedy replies .

Quote:
Perhaps a better idea would be to have an alien mothership attacking, and blasting the buildings with a death ray or something. Ultimately, it'd still give you a chance to do some FumeFX work

I seriously never thought about this in depth. Just wanted to do more in FumeFX. I really get the seriousness of it. Now I really think it is appropriate to divert to what Leigh mentioned here, alien mothership attacking the buildings.

Thanks for the idea Leigh.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #5
XLNT-3d
Be Water My Friend

portfolio
Jon Anderson
Creative that gets stuff done
Stevensville, USA

In agreement. Even something more natural disaster might fare better. Try Earthquakes or a meteor. Meteors entering the atmosphere and blasting windows seems to be really hot right now.

How are you going to make it look realistic? You know, buildings collapse a certain way based on their structure and what specifically failed. You could make it pretty but appear completely inaccurate depending on your audience.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:07 PM   #6
sumchans
Know-it-All
portfolio
Sumesh Chandran
Toronto, Canada

Quote:
How are you going to make it look realistic? You know, buildings collapse a certain way based on their structure and what specifically failed. You could make it pretty but appear completely inaccurate depending on your audience.

Meteors, Earthquakes I can consider that too. Nothing will be close to 100% perfection I believe , I will try and make it seem realistic as close as possible.

Thanks XLNT.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:07 PM   #7
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

There are probably 1001 other non controversial disasters you can choose from instead.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:12 PM   #8
conbom
Expert
portfolio
ET
United Kingdom

I agree with Leigh,

You could also do a matte on the city, and really go all out with the design. Say a futuristic/cyberpunk shot. Loads of opportunity to play with the architecture and put the audience in a world they haven't seen before but can still relate to.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:12 PM   #9
XLNT-3d
Be Water My Friend

portfolio
Jon Anderson
Creative that gets stuff done
Stevensville, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumchans
Meteors, Earthquakes I can consider that too. Nothing will be close to 100% perfection I believe , I will try and make it seem realistic as close as possible.

Thanks XLNT.

A new term being used in litigation to justify and allow animations in court is "It is a reasonable representation of reality". Be sure to reference actual collapses.

Good luck.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:26 PM   #10
conbom
Expert
portfolio
ET
United Kingdom

Quote:
A new term being used in litigation to justify and allow animations in court is "It is a reasonable representation of reality". Be sure to reference actual collapses.

What so you can render a building blowing up and because it looks realistic can be considered as evidence? That seems totally insane to me.

Unless i completely missed the point (which happens)

Old 02-20-2013, 12:15 AM   #11
FloydBishop
Expert

portfolio
Floyd Bishop
Microsoft
Seattle, USA

I saw the towers fall in real life, and wouldn't have a problem with seeing a VFX shot of it on a reel, so long as it was tastefully done and not meant to be a funny piece.

YouTube Channel
Char Maya Character Rig

Old 02-20-2013, 12:24 AM   #12
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Replace the planes with DECEPTICONS .

Problem solved.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:27 AM   #13
sumchans
Know-it-All
portfolio
Sumesh Chandran
Toronto, Canada

Wow, really thanking everybody who got in here with their opinions. I might fix on with Leigh suggestion, alien mothership attack.

Quote:
You could also do a matte on the city, and really go all out with the design. Say a futuristic/cyberpunk shot. Loads of opportunity to play with the architecture and put the audience in a world they haven't seen before but can still relate to.

Thanks Conbom. I liked the idea.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:32 AM   #14
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Leigh must have been thinking about this .

Old 02-20-2013, 12:35 AM   #15
sumchans
Know-it-All
portfolio
Sumesh Chandran
Toronto, Canada

You are right, that movie came to my mind , when I was reading Leigh's post.

Thread Closed share thread