GITS:Arise

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
GITS:Arise

Production I.G has announced a new prequel to Ghost In The Shell. It's going to be a 4 part OVA, each 50 mins long. Due to be released in Japan in June. Here's the article and trailer-

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...etails-outlined

Japanese Official Website-
http://kokaku-a.com/

I really love the franchise and hope they don't mess with it too much. It's probably will be events before the Stand Alone Complex time line, since it will feature the team members from SAC, in an image I've seen on their official website. I'm excited to see GITS back again.

Last edited by Darkherow : 02 February 2013 at 08:32 PM.

02 February 2013
Motoko in GITS: SAC

Motoko in GITS: Arise

Don't like the new art style.

It's not that I don't like changes. I can accept changes. But the new Motoko design just kinda reminds me of the art style in some other show.... and I watch GITS actually in avoidance of other anime shows...

So... not very good for me..... Also wasn't too thrilled with the over-designed red armored suit....

When are they going to make prequels that REALLY look like they came before the current chapters? The show should be set in something like the 80's or the 90's.... Cyborgs can't age anyway.. so I don't get the gag about Motoko looking more like a child in a prequel.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 02 February 2013 at 04:09 AM.

02 February 2013
The thing that bothers me the most besides Motoko's weird teen look (this is only 2 years before the original movie takes place, or 3 before the series does, so I doubt they're trying to show her aging?), is that they seem to be trying too hard to recreate shots from the movie or even the other series, which is another sign that a prequel might not be good.

Who knows, maybe it'll rule, but will have to see once more comes out.

Also what timeline are they on that cyborgs would be around in the 80's or 90's? Of course our own 2027 definitely won't look like that either, but really.

02 February 2013
Wow, interesting news. I really hope they make it similar to the first film- wasnt a big fan of the series. New style looks good brings back memories of the first film.

Edit: Now that I look at the closer she does look alot younger and cutesy. I really miss the old animes.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by hypercube: The thing that bothers me the most besides Motoko's weird teen look (this is only 2 years before the original movie takes place, or 3 before the series does, so I doubt they're trying to show her aging?), is that they seem to be trying too hard to recreate shots from the movie or even the other series, which is another sign that a prequel might not be good.

Who knows, maybe it'll rule, but will have to see once more comes out.

Also what timeline are they on that cyborgs would be around in the 80's or 90's? Of course our own 2027 definitely won't look like that either, but really.

Well I was thinking that a prequel should go back long enough so that it actually looks "new/old" compared to any of its original shows.

If they had 4 OVA's about "Existensial Questions" that led eventually to the whole network/cyborg "future" of the 202X-203X time era of the series.... maybe...

Maybe if we learn that many of these cyborgs were probably based on people in the GITS universe of the 1980's.... and they eventually became the basis for the cyborg versions, or were themselves transmuted into them later.... at the end of 4 OVA's....

That kinda ties in to the concern about mimicking the old show.. I would have thought the motive behind fast forwarding or rewinding a number of years is to get the chance to do something different from the original show which is interesting and leads up to our out of the show.

Not sure yet what ARISE does.

02 February 2013
She got her first cyber body when she was little, 10ish, according to the TV show (2nd gig I think). It makes sense that people/cyborgs would go through different life stage bodies to help them try to fit in and feel normal if they are cyberized at a young age.

02 February 2013
This might be interesting to watch. Personally I do, however, dislike the tendency to do prequels for every possible IP, especially in this case, where the GITS universe isn't very consistent (between movies and tv-series) to begin with and one more layer of parallel storyline wouldn't really have hurt all that much...

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Stankluv: She got her first cyber body when she was little, 10ish, according to the TV show (2nd gig I think). It makes sense that people/cyborgs would go through different life stage bodies to help them try to fit in and feel normal if they are cyberized at a young age.

That's quite correct, according to the series cyborgs change bodies to feel more human, as though they aged. That's why Motoko starts out in a child's body in flash backs in the series.

I believe some people are confused about the TV series and movies. They should be regarded as being separate stories. The TV series is an alternate reality/timeline to the movies. The first Ghost in the Shell movie and GITS 2:Innocence being on a same timeline and reality but the series is a completely different story. This new prequel Arise will most likely be set before the TV series in timeline and has nothing to do with the movies.

I agree with Padawan that the art for Motoko isn't to everyones liking. At least it's still I.G doing it and we've yet to see it in full. What bothers me more is the Japanese voice actress, they've replaced the actress who played Motoko for both the series and the Movies. I just hope the new actress doesn't make Motoko sound all kiddy and cute like.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Darkherow: I believe some people are confused about the TV series and movies.

And lets not forget the manga that adds to the confusion also...

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Darkherow: I agree with Padawan that the art for Motoko isn't to everyones liking. At least it's still I.G doing it and we've yet to see it in full. What bothers me more is the Japanese voice actress, they've replaced the actress who played Motoko for both the series and the Movies. I just hope the new actress doesn't make Motoko sound all kiddy and cute like.

The style of ARISE is now too far from that of Shirow Masamune's work, which is the base for all the GITS so far. They deviate, but most of the main shapes and volumes seem to allude to his design language.

I think if Shirow was asked to design Motoko's first-spec body it wouldn't look like the one in ARISE.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Darkherow: What bothers me more is the Japanese voice actress, they've replaced the actress who played Motoko for both the series and the Movies. I just hope the new actress doesn't make Motoko sound all kiddy and cute like.

I raised an eyebrow at the voice actress casting change too, but the replacement actress, Maaya Sakamoto is actually not a newcomer to the Ghost in the Shell franchise. She already played Motoko Kusanagi as a child in previous productions -- at the end of the first Ghost in the Shell movie and in the flashbacks of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex series. She also played another Masamune Shirow heroine, Deunan Knute, in the Appleseed XIII CG-animated series, but that role really isn't the best example of her voice acting work -- I blame it on the melodramatic screenwriting. Atsuko Tanaka's sultry tones will be missed; but Maaya Sakamoto's acting ability should be up to par, depending on the script quality.

02 February 2013
I love Shirow a lot, I still have 3 of his art books from the 90s...which looking back, really inspired me to get into computer art; but his greatest strength is also his greatest weakness...he has drawn about two different female character bodies in manga, en toto. Super-hot-statuesque-woman-body and possibly-under-age-yet-sexualized-woman-body...I guess if he designed a young Motoko...add a little muscle to Hitomi in Appleseed, and 'shop on a Major-dour-face and call it done...which is how he often worked as he details in the art books.

The timelines are a total jumble...keep in mind that at that time in Japanese culture, it seemed cool to just say, screw continuity, this is what we want to do. It happened in Neon Genesis and Battle Angel Alita and basically GITS is about 3-4 seperate unrelated histories.

1. 1st Comic Series.
2. Movie 1& 2
3. TV Show
4. 2nd comic series. It just feels unrelated to everything else to me. I loved the art but never really got the story.

I think that there is an Easter Egg at the end of the Second TV series when they get new green Tachikomas, and the scene is reminiscent and indicative of the opening scene of the 1st comic book series. So that would indicate a slightly meaningful flow of time of:

2nd TV Show Flashbacks to Major around age 10>>
**Arise?**
2nd TV Show flashbacks to Major in UN forces (Sweet sniper Episode: )>>
1st TV Show Series>>
2nd TV Show Series>>
1st Comic Book Series/Overlaps with 1st Movie>>
2nd Movie>>

?? 2nd Comic book series yet to come??

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Stankluv: I love Shirow a lot, I still have 3 of his art books from the 90s...which looking back, really inspired me to get into computer art; but his greatest strength is also his greatest weakness...he has drawn about two different female character bodies in manga, en toto. Super-hot-statuesque-woman-body and possibly-under-age-yet-sexualized-woman-body...I guess if he designed a young Motoko...add a little muscle to Hitomi in Appleseed, and 'shop on a Major-dour-face and call it done...which is how he often worked as he details in the art books.

Yeah, but my point is:

1) I love Shirow's artwork.
2) It's "trade dress" for Ghost in the Shell.

The new design really fails at Item 2.... if I wasn't told that character was Motoko or that ARISE was part of the GITS series of shows... I wouldn't have known.

That's in stark difference to how Motoko appears in the first OVA or in the series.. It's not verbatim Shirow.. but you know it's the same character.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Stankluv: I love Shirow a lot, I still have 3 of his art books from the 90s...which looking back, really inspired me to get into computer art; but his greatest strength is also his greatest weakness...he has drawn about two different female character bodies in manga, en toto. Super-hot-statuesque-woman-body and possibly-under-age-yet-sexualized-woman-body...I guess if he designed a young Motoko...add a little muscle to Hitomi in Appleseed, and 'shop on a Major-dour-face and call it done...which is how he often worked as he details in the art books.

The timelines are a total jumble...keep in mind that at that time in Japanese culture, it seemed cool to just say, screw continuity, this is what we want to do. It happened in Neon Genesis and Battle Angel Alita and basically GITS is about 3-4 seperate unrelated histories.

1. 1st Comic Series.
2. Movie 1& 2
3. TV Show
4. 2nd comic series. It just feels unrelated to everything else to me. I loved the art but never really got the story.

I think that there is an Easter Egg at the end of the Second TV series when they get new green Tachikomas, and the scene is reminiscent and indicative of the opening scene of the 1st comic book series. So that would indicate a slightly meaningful flow of time of:

2nd TV Show Flashbacks to Major around age 10>>
**Arise?**
2nd TV Show flashbacks to Major in UN forces (Sweet sniper Episode: )>>
1st TV Show Series>>
2nd TV Show Series>>
1st Comic Book Series/Overlaps with 1st Movie>>
2nd Movie>>

?? 2nd Comic book series yet to come??

Both GITS movie stories come directly from the original comic. The only problem is that the story used in the GITS 2 movie takes place before they catch the Puppet Master, so they had to make some changes in the movie to have Motoko in it after her transformation.

Many stand alone episodes of the SAC series also come directly from the original comic, further confusing the timeline if one tries to fit them all together. Finally, we can't forget GITS SAC Solid State Society, which tries to tie SAC into the movies by having the Puppet Master reference again.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

02 February 2013
Ifs and buts aside.......All GITS material to date is wonderful film-making and easily right up the top of my list of all-time greats. I often set aside a day every few months and watch GITS 1 & 2 and the SAC boxset plus all bonus materials back-to-back. I've never perused the comics and I don't really get too bothered about the chronology; but I have great faith in Production I.G and this post is the best news I've had in a long, long time.(and that includes securing my 4-year Australian work visa!)

I would be very surprised if this failed to impress the obvious fans here. Although, regarding the art direction: I'm not a fan of the Appleseed, toon-shaded 3D style and and hope I.G steer clear of this approach.

EDIT: just watched the trailer and am happy to see that they've retained the same beautiful art style

Last edited by musashidan : 02 February 2013 at 11:23 PM.

Thread Closed share thread