CGTalk > Main > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 02-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
Zack Attack
Expert

Manageing both permanent and freelance side work

Hey all its been awhile since I posted, so apologies in advance if I break any unspoken rules. I was wondering if any one had any experience and or advice for working both a permanent position and freelancing on the side. My main job is a broadcast designer the hours arnt crazy, pay is okay and work isnt hard. But I'm not feeling challenged, plus I need to put a dent in my student loans and with the sate of this industry I need something stable. I am really interested in picking up extra remote freelance work, while im still young and able to. I want to know how realistic this is with a 40hr work week, like would it be better to work hourly as appose to a day rate? should I let them know I can only work a certain amount of hours upfront? how does every one els do it..wing it?

Old 02-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
Yann1ck
Know-it-All
portfolio
Yannick Lorvo
Senior CG Artist
South London, United Kingdom

Make sure that your contract with your employer, let you do freelance work on the side.
Some company don't let you do it.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
mirkoj
c:\>format c:_
portfolio
Mirko Jankovic
Banja Luka, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Send a message via MSN to mirkoj
Also be careful not to burn out.
As much as you love your job too much of it together with couple "bad" clients can kill all enthusiasm and then you will end up only with another "it is paying bills" job instead of "I'm doing this AND getting paid?" type of work

Need some help with rendering an Redshift project?
http://www.gpuoven.com/

Old 02-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
dremer
PRO
portfolio
Andrew Lewitin
Visual Effects Artist
New York, USA

Send a message via AIM to dremer
I will usually work at an hourly rate or a fixed bid. Obviously, with a full time job, you can't put in a full day after that, so a day rate doesn't quite make sense.

I usually only take jobs on the side that understand that I have a full time job so they know that things need to be flexible. If they need something done yesterday, they're just going to have to wait until tonight or the weekend. Because of this arrangement, most of the work comes from individuals working on music videos, short films, etc, or really low budget independent features. Stuff outside any studio system.

People are usually really understanding though if you make sure they're aware of your situation. And if they're not understanding, well, you have leverage, because you have a job that pays the bills. They need you more than you need them.

http://www.andrewlewitin.com/

Old 02-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

I have always worked full time, but would take on freelance whenever I could find it. That became too demanding of my time and I now only take "vanity" projects on the side, just stuff that interests me and is from a good and reliable client.

Yes, it sounds cushy - and it is. But that is by design. I recently had a potential client with some great work that I wanted to do, but as soon as he started hitting me with a million changes and balked at my payment schedule, I "fired" them. Typically I like the freelance work to be self-contained and with a flat-rate estimate so I can break up my workload as I feel is necessary. Depending on the client, you can add a clause for big changes, but for things like print graphics/illustration, I typically have an approval process for milestones, so by the time I'm on the final, it's all been signed off on. Ample lead-time is also necessary - none of this "we need it yeasterday" crap.

And yes, you should check if your full time contract allows outside work. I work in games, so the rules for broadcast may not be the same. I've been at companies that forbid any type of outside paying work, no matter what it was, and have also been at places where they were only concerned about potentially competing products. Then I've been at places where they didn't care what you did on your own time, as long as the full time work didn't suffer from it.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:57 AM   #6
conbom
Expert
portfolio
ET
United Kingdom

Millions of scope changes and revisions then wait months goose chasing while your client gets around to feel like paying, ugh... This was graphic design work in evenings and weekends. I honestly cant be arsed with freelancing anymore after all that effort chasing up. For every good client I reckon there are about 10 who cant afford an agency so try their luck with individuals.

Last edited by conbom : 02-19-2013 at 01:01 AM.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
paintbox
Waiting for pixels to dry

portfolio
PT PT
Artist / Illustrator
Intergalactic Freelancer
Netherlands

I freelance full-time for years now and I wouldn't personally do this besides a day job. Except maybe the occasional fun / good paying jobs that are limited in scope like Artbot and others mentioned.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
earwax69
Ctrl+Altl+Chicken

portfolio
Thierry Fortier
Montreal/Osaka, Japan

I've done this all my life until 6 years ago when I went full time freelancer. I'd say do it but dont involve your current boss in it. Hide it. Dont talk about it to your coworkers. Each time I searched approbation or collaboration from my bosses, it had always returned against me afterward. As you say, you are young. You can work fast and efficiently. Also by doing contracts on the side, you keep an eye on the whole market, you keep your contacts.

Living near your day job help to reduce transport, thus you can work longer. It make a huge difference.

If someone think it's not ethical, believe me, the company bosses are doing way worst than that to keep making money. Welcome to the jungle!

ps; dont use your job computer. Get an iphone for your emails.

As for me, yeah, I'm too old for this shit!

Old 02-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread