What is the hardest part of your job?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
What is the hardest part of your job?

I am curious in knowing what is the hardest part of your job? This could be anything from technical problem solving to human interaction.

For me its always been having to work from limited resources. IE: here is a prototype that we want you to model and build, but we are not going to tell you much about it or show you much about it except these couple documents that have been approved by 10 different departments.

I also find particles to be difficult to work with as its slow and difficult to preview the results.

02 February 2013
#1. Disciplining and firing people. Having to fire people for making really bad decisions makes me want to vomit. If I get really furious, I usually have to calm down for a couple of days before addressing a situation to be sure I am rational. When all other means are exhausted, a firing may be the only result. It still sucks.

#2. Generating new business and clients. I love management, but miss production a bit. The higher you move up, the more administrative and business responsibilities fall on your shoulders. Including keeping people employed or helping them attain incentives and continue to achieve success. All the sudden, being a skilled artist doesn't matter. Revenue numbers become more looming than deadlines and technical difficulties

02 February 2013
MotionBuilder can sense the presence of the Director and glitches.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by NanoGator: MotionBuilder can sense the presence of the Director and glitches.

But the Director isn't wearing a suit? So how is that possible?

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: But the Director isn't wearing a suit? So how is that possible?

I have no idea, but I hope Autodesk has it patented. I swear there's a function in the code somewhere called detectJamesC();

02 February 2013
There's an easy part?!

02 February 2013
Modeling neuroanatomy based on poor, inaccurate, or blurry reference material, because our understanding of the anatomy or network of anatomy is still relatively new and it's your job to create the reference material so the anatomy or its function is easy to understand.

Communicating with doctors who are so far deep into their field, they sometimes forget the rest of the world aren't doctors and might not be familiar with their specific areas of expertise.

Figuring out a rigging workflow that works both in testing and in theory, then after spending a couple days setting it up on the actual models, find out it's going to need to be able to do something that you haven't factored in. Meanwhile the deadline is getting closer.

02 February 2013
That decision in the morning wether to press 'Snooze' or to get up.

02 February 2013
Its dealing with people thats the difficult part. That thread that talked about mediocrity in modern society really struck a chord with me, Definitely seeing the Dunning-Kruger effect here.

adam

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by adamdaly: Its dealing with people thats the difficult part. That thread that talked about mediocrity in modern society really struck a chord with me, Definitely seeing the Dunning-Kruger effect here.

adam

Heh I can relate.

02 February 2013
Interpreting my wife translations of japanese pdf list of corrections.

Working when my youngest kid invite friends at home.

Mixing business and friendship.

Avoid depressing when a client choose the music score of a project. (today was Rihanna for god's sake!)

When the agency make days of corrections before showing to the client and the client finally prefer your first version.

02 February 2013
People using buzzwords on a monday morning.

02 February 2013
Starting over when something just isn't working out right.

02 February 2013
Trying to teach advanced 3D to a class of people, where one guy has never heard of copy and paste, and has no understanding of term click and drag, double click or right click.

02 February 2013
Getting up in the morning. I have been animating since 1994, love my job more than anything and even do 3d in my spare time at home, but i CANNOT get up in time for work.

I have always been a night owl and after freelancing for 8 years and working till the late morning hours (my own choice), i find it almost impossible to be in at 9.30 every morning now that i am fully employed again.

Thread Closed share thread