Question for beginner....

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
Question for beginner....

So I have this deep admiration for animation and 3d modeling. The problem is that I have zero experience in this field, and zero experience in anything remotely related to it. I have always been interested in this field, but never pursued it. I am 39 years old, and want to learn it, but don't want to go to college. My question is, if i have the devotion, patience and drive, is it possible to learn it on my own, with the help of books, tutorials,videos , but without schooling? I am speaking of Maya and Zbrush, just F.Y.I.

Old 02 February 2013   #2
Originally Posted by stanblaok39: My question is, if i have the devotion, patience and drive, is it possible to learn it on my own, with the help of books, tutorials,videos , but without schooling?

Yes.

more words

Old 02 February 2013   #3
Alright, so I guess this thread can get closed now?

Old 02 February 2013   #4
Yes you can do all that. If you can keep your day job and learn 3D as a hobby or spare time leisure pursuit it would probably be ideal.

Old 02 February 2013   #5
Originally Posted by leigh: Yes.

So this is the reply. Great answer. You certainly covered my concerns. This seemed to be a professional forum, apparently not. I'm not sure what answer I was looking for, but it sure wasn't as vague answer like "yes"

Old 02 February 2013   #6
It is possible to learn 3D on your own with tutorials and books, etc. However beware that it can take quite a lot of time to learn and apply it to your work. If you go to a Good course, then they can show you how to use the software correctly, point you in the right direction and anything you are unsure about, the tutor can answer your questions. These courses are costly in fees though, only commit if it's what you want. Also learning more about 3D through tutorials and books before taking any courses is a good idea, as you discover if it's what you want to do and you will have a better idea of what the tutor is talking about, if you decide to take a course. However it's important to understand that it's what you put in that counts.

I'm answering from a perspective of wanting a career at the end of the learning but if you are learning for fun or as a hobby, then there's plenty of tutorials that you can get through to be able to create in 3D but will probably quite some time.

Last edited by Darkherow : 02 February 2013 at 07:21 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #7
yes, but if your competition is just as good and has a college degree, they may edge you out unless you can be utilized for a much cheaper value. Some companies might even pick you up and then pay for your college if you want to attend. Usually you have to pay first, then get reimbursed based on your gpa (usually 3.5+) and sign on for a set number of years, plus be on the hook for the cost if you leave early.

You can do it. Go for it

** my perspective is from US based companies focused in sciences and engineering, not necessarily entertainment

Old 02 February 2013   #8
Originally Posted by stanblaok39: So I have this deep admiration for animation and 3d modeling. The problem is that I have zero experience in this field, and zero experience in anything remotely related to it. I have always been interested in this field, but never pursued it. I am 39 years old, and want to learn it, but don't want to go to college. My question is, if i have the devotion, patience and drive, is it possible to learn it on my own, with the help of books, tutorials,videos , but without schooling? I am speaking of Maya and Zbrush, just F.Y.I.

I'm completely self-taught and have done pretty well. The key thing to do is pick up a skill that is needed in the industry. For example: I've spent some time modeling architectural details, like window moldings etc, and I've gotten work doing exactly that. I'd also recommend spending some time learning how to 'present' your work. Composition and lighting, for example, are really important, but utilizing those skills when you *show* your clients work-in-progress stuff matters, too. Even when you're modeling, you're still story-telling.

Keep your eye on the goal.

Old 02 February 2013   #9
Do it & welcome to the hell.
hell is not a bad place afterall

Old 02 February 2013   #10
Originally Posted by stanblaok39: So this is the reply. Great answer. You certainly covered my concerns. This seemed to be a professional forum, apparently not. I'm not sure what answer I was looking for, but it sure wasn't as vague answer like "yes"

"Yes" is the very opposite of vague. You wanted an answer to your question and I gave you the most direct, straightforward one possible - what more did you want? You don't even know what you wanted to hear (and here I thought a 'yes' would be encouraging because it's totally positive) but now you're copping an attitude about the "professionalism" of the forum? Really?

There is no other answer to your question. Of course you can learn on your own.

Old 02 February 2013   #11
Originally Posted by leigh: Yes.

Maybe you would have preferred:

"Yes, if (you) have the devotion, patience and drive, it is possible to learn it on (your) own, with the help of books, tutorials,videos, (and) without schooling."

You've already qualified your own answer, so I don't know what more you could expect. Maybe you should also try the search function here for this topic since it has been discussed a gazillion times before.

Old 02 February 2013   #12
Originally Posted by stanblaok39: So I have this deep admiration for animation and 3d modeling. The problem is that I have zero experience in this field, and zero experience in anything remotely related to it. I have always been interested in this field, but never pursued it. I am 39 years old, and want to learn it, but don't want to go to college. My question is, if i have the devotion, patience and drive, is it possible to learn it on my own, with the help of books, tutorials,videos , but without schooling? I am speaking of Maya and Zbrush, just F.Y.I.

For modeling environments and other non-live stuff, it's quite easy, and I would pick modeling for this. This will hardly depend on a good eye. That's why even for this, it's a good idea having artistic education. Though some people do just fine without it.
For animation, you can, but it will take you so much longer. I don't understand why you're attacking Leigh as how you formulated the question supposes this possible reply. You didn't ask why or what difficulties you may encounter. You could be nicer.

Old 02 February 2013   #13
Wow! For those with responses that had attitude and for a lack of effort, you couldnt really put a little more thought to it. Ya maybe the question only required a yes or no by the way it was worded, but do you really think I would want it left at just a yes or no? How bout those other responses that used intelligence and understanding? Do I have to spell it out to you? To get more input I have addressed this same question to a couple other forums, they didnt have an issue with common sense as you do here. Seriously it seemed to be more of a smart ass answer you were attempting than an actual genuine response. I appreciate those who responded by putting 2 and 2 together. It's a shame I or anybody has to deal with this sarcasm, rudeness, and lack of common sense to get some help in such a great field. Feel free to delete this post along with my membership, I have better things to do than deal with immature adults. I have 2 kids, that's enough for me. Thanks

Old 02 February 2013   #14
Originally Posted by stanblaok39: .... for a lack of effort, you couldnt really put a little more thought to it.

You mean similar to the way you couldn't be bothered to research the other 400 threads that asked this same question? You mean that kind of "lack of effort?"

Thread Closed share thread