Layoffs at Valve Software

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #16
I was being a little cute with my one word response but what I mean to say is that economically it makes sense for them but I do feel upset to see such a valuable legacy of gamemaking to be sidelined.

Old 02 February 2013   #17
Comments by Bay Raitt and Gabe Newell via ValveTime:

Originally Posted by ValveTime: We've also learned today that Bay Raitt, a long term modeler & animator at Valve has also left the company. His most recent major contribution being the Source Filmmaker. In a leaving message on Facebook, Bay says:
Originally Posted by Bay Raitt: Well, after 9 years of helping build the SourceFilmmaker, working on animated short films, games, comics, characters and hats for Valve's franchises, it's time for me to start making some new worlds of my own.

End of an era for me, but what a ride.
Gabe himself has released a statement to Engadget discussing the layoffs. While he refused to give any specifics or personal details regarding Ellsworth or Raitt, he did mention that there has been no change in priorities or cancellations of projects.
Originally Posted by Gabe Newell: "We don't usually talk about personnel matters for a number of reasons. There seems to be an unusual amount of speculation about some recent changes here, so I thought I'd take the unusual step of addressing them. No, we aren't canceling any projects. No, we aren't changing any priorities or projects we've been discussing. No, this isn't about Steam or Linux or hardware or [insert game name here]. We're not going to discuss why anyone in particular is or isn't working here."

http://www.valvetime.net/threads/up...e-valve.243175/

Old 02 February 2013   #18
It's a bummer seeing feeds flooded with negative content though I guess it's not that common to report the good anymore. Maybe someday I will log on and see a dozen posts like "studio a expands and hires 500 new artists." They shouldn't be getting rid of employees until we at least get another chunk of Half Life.

Old 02 February 2013   #19
Originally Posted by badsearcher: I was being a little cute with my one word response but what I mean to say is that economically it makes sense for them but I do feel upset to see such a valuable legacy of gamemaking to be sidelined.

Four letter words are cute.

I agree with your sentiments... but I guess they'll just be doing "smaller games" from now on... or had "nothing in the pipeline".

Old 02 February 2013   #20
*sigh* Who will be the next Valve then and what will be the next Half Life?

Could it... be... YOU!?

Old 02 February 2013   #21
It boggles my mind that they would let go of someone like Bay Raitt. I've followed his career over the years and am a big fan of his work. Definitely won't feel bad for him because i'm sure he'll move on to greater things. Goes to show that anyone can be laid off. Didn't Glen Keane get laid off once? hehe. Hope all affected land somewhere and continue to do great things!

-George

Old 02 February 2013   #22
Originally Posted by Grgeon: It boggles my mind that they would let go of someone like Bay Raitt. I've followed his career over the years and am a big fan of his work. Definitely won't feel bad for him because i'm sure he'll move on to greater things. Goes to show that anyone can be laid off. Didn't Glen Keane get laid off once? hehe. Hope all affected land somewhere and continue to do great things!

-George

He probably got laid off because you dont simply keep a guy of his worth around to do measly tasks. I dont know the man but if he's that talented, its the same thing as keeping a manager to do a secretary's work. Wouldn't make sense.

Old 02 February 2013   #23
Wink

Originally Posted by evolucian: He probably got laid off because you dont simply keep a guy of his worth around to do measly tasks. I dont know the man but if he's that talented, its the same thing as keeping a manager to do a secretary's work. Wouldn't make sense.

This.

And that the reason while fans are talking about this, most real gaming mag and portal don't worry too much.

VALVE even hires Michael Abrash to work on something that look like Google glass too, if I'm not mistaken (read the sidebar below).

http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/abrash/

So there will be a time you just need to part ways due to business are run.

Old 02 February 2013   #24
Originally Posted by Andrewty07: Maybe someday I will log on and see a dozen posts like "studio a expands and hires 500 new artists."

Thing is tons of companies are constantly expanding and hiring. There's an email thread about the R&H closing where countless people are posting job openings at where they work. You just don't see news articles about it.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 02 February 2013   #25
Originally Posted by mental: Well, after 9 years of helping build the SourceFilmmaker, working on animated short films, games, comics, characters and hats for Valve's franchises, it's time for me to start making some new worlds of my own.

End of an era for me, but what a ride.

Well that's encouraging. Hopefully some of this is just people moving on, 25 is an awful lot at once though. Still, I worked for a place and when one of the best managers decided he was moving on it sort of created a landslide with an entire department leaving within a month of each other. But we had all been at the same positions for a bit while.

Well we can hope at least.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 02 February 2013   #26
Originally Posted by badsearcher: *sigh* Who will be the next Valve then and what will be the next Half Life?

Could it... be... YOU!?

Everybody wants to make their own online console!
Imagine all the freebies you'd have beginning with the fact that every game in the library is automatically yours!! ZOMG!

And your Gamer ID will read: "I OWN EVERYTHING HERE".

Old 02 February 2013   #27
Originally Posted by evolucian: He probably got laid off because you dont simply keep a guy of his worth around to do measly tasks.

Or look at it this way - was there really no project at Valve where his talents could have been used?

Doesn't make sense.

Old 02 February 2013   #28
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh: Or look at it this way - was there really no project at Valve where his talents could have been used?

Doesn't make sense.

Yeah, i agree. I'm curious to see where he'll end up though. There's very few cg artists that have that kind of name recognition. Bay is definitely one of them.

-GC

Old 02 February 2013   #29
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh: Or look at it this way - was there really no project at Valve where his talents could have been used?

Doesn't make sense.

If you look at other topic regarding Vegetable Tales, it is a good idea not to become to big too fast. First of all, Valve is privately owned. Second, it has become big enough that it became THE online retailer. There are other retailers, but they are not as big as Valve. If I read correctly, even Amazon sells Valve code?

There was a video recently that talks about market between games, or something. If he wanted to slow down on the IP and more on making money being the middleman of user generated content (and other large company developed games) it was his decision.

This was interesting times, going to Linux, creating consoles, and other things. Microsoft is going with their own shop, Apple is coming up with Apple TV (that probably can play ios games). If he want to scale down and look into venture on making money off other people business by being the middleman, then I guess whatever bring in the cash.

Previously he uses his own game to bring people to Steam (remember the days of there will be no games of ours on Play Station! Cell CPU is hard to code!). He changes. He just need to adapt to situations and adjust carefully.

Old 02 February 2013   #30
Originally Posted by evolucian: He probably got laid off because you dont simply keep a guy of his worth around to do measly tasks. I dont know the man but if he's that talented, its the same thing as keeping a manager to do a secretary's work. Wouldn't make sense.

Dude, where have you been hiding for the last 15 years. The man is a legend. He was the face of Mirai. He was responsible for the facial rig of Golum in LOTR. Sad to see him go, but he will find a gig in no time.

Thread Closed share thread