Pixar Artists Are Raising Money For A Short—And They’re Not Using Kickstarter

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Pixar Artists Are Raising Money For A Short—And They’re Not Using Kickstarter

Quote:
"
Pixar artists Dice Tsutsumi (art director, Toy Story 3) and Robert Kondo (sets art director, Ratatouille) have announced that they are producing an independent short film. To help raise funds for the production, they are auctioning some of their exploratory sketches on eBay.

"
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/ideas-commentary/pixar-artists-are-raising-money-for-a-short-and-theyre-not-using-kickstarter-77907.html
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

02 February 2013
Clever thinking on their part, but I don't think this is an alternative to kickstarter for the average artist like cartoonbrew is putting it.

What they offer on ebay is a good buy IMO. Their art is great and original, not to mention they have great resale value if the short is successful, but I don't think another artist of similar quality would have the same impact in the media if their career wasn't as marketable.

Great idea, I just don't think it's a kickstarter alternative for most people.

...besides...how much cheaper can ebay be? don't they take 10% of every sale? Plus you have to ship all this and worry about scammers?

02 February 2013
I agree with leif. 8 items for auction and current total bids under $2k. Very nice sketches to have and they might gain in value if the buyers live long enough. If the Pixar sellers expect megabucks from this when the auction ends in 5 days, I think they could be a bit dissapointed.

02 February 2013
Healthy number of bids... I'm pleasantly surprised.

02 February 2013
Art directors from Pixar need to raise funds?

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by iikii: Art directors from Pixar need to raise funds?

This is a personal project of theirs.

02 February 2013
Out of curiosity, does anyone know approximately how much those projects cost to make? I'm just wondering how much they need to raise, and what they need to spend the money on. I guess labour charges don't come into it as the artists are obviously putting their time in for free.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Dillster: Out of curiosity, does anyone know approximately how much those projects cost to make? I'm just wondering how much they need to raise, and what they need to spend the money on. I guess labour charges don't come into it as the artists are obviously putting their time in for free.

A good guess... for small-scale totally animation focused projects is you'd end up throwing more than 3 quarters of your budget on art talent (total budgets vary).

If we assume they'll be just doing this by themselves then a LOT of what would be the usual budget items vanish - poof!

The money they are using probably will go to external storage and rendering facilities (because this was probably NOT approved for use with Pixar's own infrastructure) and for the audio and music (for similar reason).

If you take a sampling and add it up.. you could see a good indication of how much their target is.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 02 February 2013 at 12:30 AM.

02 February 2013
I think it's awesome.

People sell their work to fund the stuff they want to make. We buy the work because it's awesome and hopefully we get to the chance to buy their awesome stuff they make as well later. Simple economics without false expectations.

Time to buy a birthday present for myself maybe?
Critcal feedback example #62: "Well instead of the Stalinist purges and the divorce and the investigation ... it could be about losing a balloon."

02 February 2013
I have to admit the work they are selling appeals because it's comprehensive. I remember when I was small there was a Warner Brothers store near us and they used to sell the gel sheets (original numbered ones apparently) from cartoons. But all you got was a leg or an ear of a character. At 7 or 8 years old I used to think anyone paying €150 for an eyebrow drawn on plastic was crazy.
That store didn't last long. Pity really as they had a play area and all the kids loved it.

But the work the Pixar artists are selling is better value, and recognizable too.

02 February 2013
Another good example of private fundraising and the first one that comes to mind.

The Gates, 2005, Christo and Jeanne-Claude. Central Park, New York City.

"The cost of the project was $21 million US dollars which was raised entirely by Christo and Jeanne-Claude selling studies, drawings, collages, works from the 1950s and 1960s. They do not accept any sponsorship, nor did the city of New York have to provide any money for the project."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ...laude#The_Gates

Artists funding large projects with small ones has a wide and great history.

-John

02 February 2013
Going to take a lot of time to get the money, still cool that they are going to try doing it.
Then it's a good start, you need to start somewhere and get people talking about it =)

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread