Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 02-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
bkravi
Senior 3D Artist

portfolio
Ravindra Badgujar
New Delhi, India

Vray for Anmiations

It becomes very tricky when it is required using vray for animations, it is ok when only camera is animated but when there is everything animated in the scene it is almost impossible to render it flicker free using with GI,

Now days it is getting popular in Industry other than the ArchVIZ renders so I question Is there any solid production proven example of how this wonderful renderer can be used in animation with GI where there is not only character but almost everything is having animation.

I request all you helpful people to please discuss it for the community.

Thanks

Website-
http://www.divinefx.com

Old 02-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

Probably Blur Studio's

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=927981

A lot easier to find VRay show case in the TV commercial side.

A scene with lots of movements I don't think you have much of a choice but to brute force. I tried to bake IR/LC on as many static objects as possible.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
pingking
Expert
portfolio
michael vorberg
digital compositor
freelance
stuttgart, Germany

i know for sure its production proven even on feature film work. digital domain and pixomondo uses a lot of vray for their work

Old 02-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
d4rk3lf
Expert

portfolio
Boban Krsmanovic
Nis, Serbia

What I usually do, is placing a Vray ambient light and within it I put a Vray dirt map, and tweak it to my needs. Basically that's the global AO in vray, which is important for diffuse shadows, and also for global (equal lighting).
Ofcourse, I don't stop there, it's only a first step. I then place lights to my needs, and I think it's not bad approach for animations (and it renders very fast).

You could also consider rendering in passes, and then compositing in another app (Nuke, After, Combustion...).

Old 02-16-2013, 02:28 AM   #5
bkravi
Senior 3D Artist

portfolio
Ravindra Badgujar
New Delhi, India

Anyone tried spherical Harmonics Engine(SH) inside Vray for maya? there is very less information on this particular topic on vray help site.
I do have attended SH workshop in Siggraph 2010 by weta but it looks like the implementation of SH in vray is very simple and may not be the same. but anyways have anyone tried baking and using the GI with Spherical Harmonics practically on moving objects?

Website-
http://www.divinefx.com

Old 02-19-2013, 01:57 AM   #6
kokwey57
Veteran
portfolio
Lau Kok Wey
animator
fire cracker
Ipoh, Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panupat
Probably Blur Studio's

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=927981

A lot easier to find VRay show case in the TV commercial side.

A scene with lots of movements I don't think you have much of a choice but to brute force. I tried to bake IR/LC on as many static objects as possible.

The IR/LC almost kill me @ my previous animation assigment
i have to re-render alpha for some flickering part.
as u suggest, look like i don't have a choice but to tryout brute force

Old 02-19-2013, 02:37 AM   #7
ThePriest
Bad Ass

portfolio
Stuart Townsend
Environment artist
Berkeley, USA

I've been a big supporter of VRay for many years, trying to push it on studios wherever I work, but it is tough to push when doing full GI renders with animation.

Lately for simple scenes, I've adopted a camera animation only workflow for VRay.
and have added both Octane and Maxwell render into my workflow for the elements in motion. Successfully composting the two is always a challenge, but with a little camera projection work, you can usually find a solution that works. Alternatively you can render scenes with no blurry reflections, and again with a few projection mapping tricks you can breathe life back into the shots.

Also, VRay is still a gorgeous looking render engine without GI. You'll be surprised what you can accomplish without it in some cases.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:02 AM   #8
InTerceptoV
MentalMan

portfolio
Toni Bratincevic
Irvine,

It's very simple... bruteforce for 1st bounce and LCache for secondary. It works perfectly!
When I was at Blur I used this constantly on characters and it made my life much much happier compared to Mentalray pipeline we used years ago. The only thing is that you need to know how DMC works if you plan to use BForce GI.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #9
berniebernie
Schmppff...

portfolio
Bernie B.
Paris, France

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTerceptoV
It's very simple... bruteforce for 1st bounce and LCache for secondary. It works perfectly!
When I was at Blur I used this constantly on characters and it made my life much much happier compared to Mentalray pipeline we used years ago. The only thing is that you need to know how DMC works if you plan to use BForce GI.

This sounds interesting ! Do you know a place where I can find more vray tips like those ?

Old 02-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #10
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePriest
Alternatively you can render scenes with no blurry reflections, and again with a few projection mapping tricks you can breathe life back into the shots.

Could you tell a bit about it please? How can you project reflections for moving scenes?

As far as I know, for exteriors brute-force works quite fast (plus what's have been said about lightcache for the secondary bounce (won't it get flicker?). For interiors, you could use area lights to simulate Gi (using test frames with GI), but it will work only for some degree, as you will have some dark shadows. Maybe you could render just characters with GI (for example using just one brute-force bounce+area lights, which simuate GI), and simulate Gi for the surroundings, using vray matte options to render separately characters and the surroundings.

Also there's a time filter plugin, give it a try. http://www.cemyuksel.com/software/.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #11
CaptainObvious
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Simon Lundberg
London, United Kingdom

Interpolated global illumination will always be prone to flickering, but there are work-arounds. For one thing, the simpler the lighting is to solve the less flickering you will notice. So use direct lights to fill in the GI as much as possible. Cache GI where possible. V-Ray has a built-in feature for interpolating the GI from frame to frame. This can reduce GI flickering significantly, at the cost of a slight time blur of the indirect lighting. Not always noticable. You can also remove flickering in post using motion/velocity vectors, if you've got access to Nuke or Fusion or something similar. There is a Nuke method posted here. If you use Fusion rather than Nuke, I could upload the node network I built that does pretty much the same thing. It works pretty well at removing all kinds of noise.

Edit: There are also optical flow-based noise removal tools, for example Re:Vision Denoise.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #12
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTerceptoV

Thanks for sharing! Do you use Nederhorst 100% adaptive settings? Or do you prefer to control brute force subdivision by yourself with this workflow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePriest
Alternatively you can render scenes with no blurry reflections, and again with a few projection mapping tricks you can breathe life back into the shots.

I would love to hear more about this too, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious
You can also remove flickering in post using motion/velocity vectors, if you've got access to Nuke or Fusion or something similar. There is a Nuke method posted here.
Edit: There are also optical flow-based noise removal tools, for example Re:Vision Denoise.

Looks awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #13
oglu
Christoph Schädl

portfolio
Christoph Schädl
Austria

Old 02-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #14
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by oglu
blur is doing fine with vray...

They have more resources than a single freelancer.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #15
oglu
Christoph Schädl

portfolio
Christoph Schädl
Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister3d
They have more resources than a single freelancer.

right... but you have that problem with any render...

Thread Closed share thread