Frame stamp software/plugin

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
Frame stamp software/plugin

Hi are there any software or plugin(s) for maya or other 3d packages that can do frame stamping on renders? Like: Artist name, timecode, date/time etc.

Any help is much appreciated.

Old 02 February 2013   #2
It would be awesome if there was, I do that by using After Effects and a preset I apply to a text layer that makes it the frame number.

Old 02 February 2013   #3
Studios I've worked at have always had scripts to do this, usually involving whatever comp software is used in-house, as part of the daily-making process. Like the poster above me mentioned, you can do this pretty easily in a comp package like After Effects.

I don't know of a Maya plugin that does it.

Old 02 February 2013   #4
I currently use Blender to write a frame stamp to files - it gives some simple options such as a custom text field called 'Notes:', time-stamp, frames, camera data, and so on.

If you have a sequence of images (or video for that matter,) from Maya, or whatever render engine you can bring them into the Blender sequencer. Enter your information into the frame stamp section and hit render for a fairly speedy rendering to either a sequence of images, or a number of video formats.

Old 02 February 2013   #5
Thanks for the different answers, Iīll try out the blender thing and see how thatīll work, if not Iīll just use AE.

Old 02 February 2013   #6
In Softimage, this is called a "render slate" and it's available per render pass.

http://download.autodesk.com/global...EC50AB924E-00AE

I'm not 100% sure which other packages offer something similar out of the box. I presume it could be implemented using an output shader, in fact there may already be some available for different renderers.

Old 02 February 2013   #7
Been looking around the web for a MEL script or something like it, found this: http://renderman.pixar.com/view/it-scripting . Not much help for me though.

Old 02 February 2013   #8
I would do it post rendering; for instance in maya call imagemagick or a similar library on a sequence of files after a rendering is done (using post mel/python callbacks).

What we do for playblasts (which are the only files that we stamp) is playblast the scene with custom HUDs (so if you wanted it on a bty render, just do the playblast on a black background and merge it)

http://download.autodesk.com/global...sUpDisplay.html

Old 02 February 2013   #9
Vray also can stamp basic info about the scene on a frame. For exaple scene name, render time, cpu type, ... and if i remember correctrly you can also put the frame number on it.

Old 02 February 2013   #10
There was a plugin introduced a while back (2012.5 IIRC) that can create poly digits in the scene. For playblasts I use a little script to set up an expression to turn that into a frame counter. The nice thing about it is that it's easy to move and scale, just parent it to the shot cam and it's good to go.
I'm sure this could be built on to give more detailed info.

Just make sure the plugin is loaded (PolyTools.mll) and run this. It will create the poly digits node and hook up an expression to it so that it displays the frame number.
Code:
string $frameReadOut[] = `polyDigits -n polyReadout`; expression -s "polyDigits1.counter=frame;"; setAttr "polyReadoutShape.overrideEnabled" 1; setAttr "polyReadoutShape.overrideColor" 16;

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 02 February 2013 at 08:43 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horganovski
There was a plugin introduced a while back (2012.5 IIRC) that can create poly digits in the scene. For playblasts I use a little script to set up an expression to turn that into a frame counter. The nice thing about it is that it's easy to move and scale, just parent it to the shot cam and it's good to go.
I'm sure this could be built on to give more detailed info.

Just make sure the plugin is loaded (PolyTools.mll) and run this. It will create the poly digits node and hook up an expression to it so that it displays the frame number.
Code:
string $frameReadOut[] = `polyDigits -n polyReadout`; expression -s "polyDigits1.counter=frame;"; setAttr "polyReadoutShape.overrideEnabled" 1; setAttr "polyReadoutShape.overrideColor" 16;

Cheers,
Brian

Sorry for requesting more from you Horganovski, but could you direct me to the PolyTools.mll plugin?

Old 02 February 2013   #12
The best thing IMO to do(and I'm building a tool for myself currently to automate it that I will share), is have Maya render an image sequence.
Then run a second process to add teh image slates.
There are tons of python libs, but I'll be using ffmpeg to encode the videos and it has a text overlay filter that will do the trick.

Old 02 February 2013   #13
It's a while back but if I recall correctly it was part of Bonus Tools for Maya 2012 or 2012.5. You should be able to find that on The Area.

Edit -yup, it's definitely part of Bonus Tools. I have it working here in both Maya 2012.5 and 2013.5.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 02 February 2013 at 09:54 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagMX
The best thing IMO to do(and I'm building a tool for myself currently to automate it that I will share), is have Maya render an image sequence.
Then run a second process to add teh image slates.
There are tons of python libs, but I'll be using ffmpeg to encode the videos and it has a text overlay filter that will do the trick.

Cool! Donīt be afraid to PM me about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horganovski
It's a while back but if I recall correctly it was part of Bonus Tools for Maya 2012 or 2012.5. You should be able to find that on The Area.

Edit -yup, it's definitely part of Bonus Tools. I have it working here in both Maya 2012.5 and 2013.5.

Cheers,
Brian

Ah cheers, didnīt find it for OSX though, windows exclusive perhaps.

Old 02 February 2013   #15
Perhaps I guess. I don't use Macs here currently so can't confirm. I do know that Mac plugins will have a different extension, so not '.mll', but I guess the 'PolyTools' part of the name would be the same if it existed.

What I've been doing recently though is just rendering out an image sequence for numbers counting from C4D (Cinema is more flexible with text stuff than Maya usually) and using that in After Effects to composite the frame numbers on top of my renders. What I like about that is that it's not 'burned into' the render and when the shot is approved I can simply hide that layer in AE and export the shot again without it. For playblasts though I still use the PolyTools method as they are so quick to redo.

Cheers,
Brian

Thread Closed share thread