Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 02-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
justjr27
portfolio
Juan
Homestead, USA

T-Shirt Design

Hi there everyone. I am a student at Academy of Arts I'm studying 3d Animation. I have always been into T-shirts with cool designs so I finally decided that I would start making some, but my drawing & digital painting skills are still horrible " Taking Classes To Learn". I have the contacts to purchase the shirts & I have a close friend of the family that owns a printing company with a digital shirt printer. All I need now is the art lol. This is just going to be a little side hobbie for me not trying to get rich I just love art. If any talented artists on here want to make some extra money please private message me with a link to there work & what they would like to get payed per piece & we can go for there. Please remember that I'm not going to be selling millions & millions of shirts so please be kind with the prices lol. Looking forward to hearing from you guys Thank you.

Dont know if it is Ok to post this here, but if not please feel free to move to correct place.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
XLNT-3d
Be Water My Friend

portfolio
Jon Anderson
Creative that gets stuff done
Stevensville, USA

Is the digital printer a DTG (Direct to Garment), dye sub or heat transfer printer?

just be sure people know that DTG printers typically work best on white or light colored shirts. I started out as a t-shirt illustrator many moons ago ranging from traditional airbrush to silkscreen to heat transfers, vinyl and DTG work. Also, be sure you are working with the artists to understand that certain prints may come out "muddy" if the design isn't created properly from the start and that certain prints on DTG use a helluva lot more ink than others and take longer to print.

Good luck with your venture. T-shirt art is always fun , but the learning curve can be an expensive educational experience if you are not careful.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
DanHibiki
Expert

portfolio
- -
Senior 3d Animator
Invivo communications
Richmond Hill, Canada

Humor me here, with Coffee press, Deviant art and a myriad of shirt stores that will gladly put your design on any T-Shirt, why would anyone in their right mind give up their designs to 'some guy on the internet'?

Old 02-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
XLNT-3d
Be Water My Friend

portfolio
Jon Anderson
Creative that gets stuff done
Stevensville, USA

If people are serious about making some coin with their designs, they just need to find the main printers out their with established distribution networks. I'm not sure what the going rate is now, but 10-15 years ago, getting $0.10-$0.30 a shirt was a decent royalty. Obviously, the bigger the distribution and popularity of the design, the better the money. I paid for a wedding and move across the US with royalties from about only about 5 shirt designs. They weren't anything spectacular or worth bragging about either.

Colleges and tourist attractions seem to move the most merchandise, other than your major store chains.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
justjr27
portfolio
Juan
Homestead, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLNT-3d
Is the digital printer a DTG (Direct to Garment), dye sub or heat transfer printer?

just be sure people know that DTG printers typically work best on white or light colored shirts. I started out as a t-shirt illustrator many moons ago ranging from traditional airbrush to silkscreen to heat transfers, vinyl and DTG work. Also, be sure you are working with the artists to understand that certain prints may come out "muddy" if the design isn't created properly from the start and that certain prints on DTG use a helluva lot more ink than others and take longer to print.

Good luck with your venture. T-shirt art is always fun , but the learning curve can be an expensive educational experience if you are not careful.

Yea my guy has a digital printer. He also does screen & sublimation, but I think that dtg produces the best quality print. I have seen my guy produce some awesome photo quality images on black shirts. I really dont mind paying someone a royality or a price per piece it is up to them. Like I said before I'm doing this as a part time thing, but I know that they well sell. I work in the Florida Keys & have spoken to a few tourist shops & they welcomed me to bring some pieces in to see how they would do. I also have spoken to the owner of the First and last gas station in & out of the keys to set of a tent to sell shirts there to plus if things do good I will set up a website too. Thank you for sharing your info I really appreciate it.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread