Capcom halves "DMC" estimates after Lower than Expected Sales

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
Capcom halves "DMC" estimates after Lower than Expected Sales

Here's one to put alongside the Final Fantasy / Japan Aesthetic issue:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...cted-dmc-sales/

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/capc...tations/0110372

Quote: It’s potentially a sad end to a tale brought about very much by the fans themselves. Anyone who played Devil May Cry 4 must surely of seen how desperately the IP needed an injection of new ideas and modernisation – which is exactly what the skilful Ninja Theory achieved.

Yet the fans revolted because Capcom dared to reinvent its IP for the 21st century and dared to change the colour of Dante’s hair. It’s really very sad.

A headline suggested by a colleague: “Devil May Cry fans destroy brand out of spite.”

Now, the whole point of this saga is rooted in that "art crisis" in Japan. You can see it in interviews at Square-Enix in particular. They say: "Fans now want something serious, gritty, realistic".

So they try.... Konami tried it with that new Castlevania with Patrick Stewart, Square-Enix would like to think it's trying by getting some international collaboration on the Tomb Raider project, and now Capcom is trying this approach with the "DMC" reboot.

However, between this, and that new Captain Harlock film..... I'm not sure they're "getting it". Not saying Captain Harlock looks terrible, but that it doesn't look as "serious" as your usual Assassin's Creed or Halo cinematic.

They probably need to do what Korea has done with their National Semi-Institutional "Hallyu" programme... and really put a Think Tank together to study what they are looking for BEFORE spending money on a major outlay like "DMC".

OR... maybe they should look at all the artists getting laid-off in the West, get some money together, and do the equivalent of a "creative blood transfusion"

Old 02 February 2013   #2
From the article: “Devil May Cry fans destroy brand out of spite.”

I find that kind of insulting. Capcom just had to know how seriously fans of the game in Japan take the whole thing. They really get into the culture of a game and don't like changes that come out of nowhere, or on a whim. It might seem trivial to us in the West, but I think Capcom should have expected the finger from Japanese fans. I think they did well to get half the expected sales there, compared to only a third in the UK.

Old 02 February 2013   #3
It's funny that they think fans are raging because it's a change of hair colour.
Dante's always been about bad-assery and cheap quips while beating the living daylight out of anything in sight.
They replaced him with an androginous 16 year old (the first time I saw the video I honestly thought it was a prequel chapter), dramatised it too much, and basically made him a Twilight emo character, and then wonder why despite the superior story and gameplay (compared to the previous chapters) aren't enough to pull it out?

When people complain that a serious game (dead space) has been turned into an all out action game (DS3) it's ok, but when they complain that a franchise that's always been about cheese and blood has been emofied too heavily then they are immature and spiteful?
Just a change of hair colour my arse, everything I've seen of it looks like a cheap shot at teenage romance style with demons thrown in.

BS. They simply got the design way wrong in an otherwise good game, in a franchise where design has always been strongly dominant. They cocked it up, and now they want to lay it at the feet of the fans like if they are all Otakus.

I'm far from being fanatical about the franchise, but I enjoyed a couple of the games and was looking forward to this installment, but the tones and the idea of staring at the back of an emo kid for 40 hours of gameplay made it so I will wait until it's in the 15$ bin.
IMO this is index of nothing trends wise, it's just a sign of a company not understanding the strong point of their own franchises.

Would you watch a HK or Malasyan martial arts/rush movie like The Raid if all the characters were replaced with the cast from Twilight? I don't think so, not even if the storyline and acting were upped a notch in exchange.

Old 02 February 2013   #4
I've never played one but I've found Capcom to be lacking lately in terms of what they are selling. Seems to me a lot of their games have DLC on day 1 which just reeks of bullsh because it was obviously in the game in the original design.

Now I'm not saying changing a hair color is what sunk the ship, but it's *not* a good idea to change the iconic look of something like this. Just not a good plan. Gritty doesn't mean dark hair... Take someone like Christina Hendricks and give her blonde or brown hair and now you just have another girl. Whereas she's rules the redhead brigade otherwise. A quick look at various reviews would suggest the following for the reason the game sunk:

1) An old and archaic game design. Newer games such as God of War redefined the genre and Capcom didn't get the memo.

2)Puzzlesolving was too easy or boring.

3) Repetitive boring gameplay. Bosses were fun, rest of game was monotonous and very much the same throughout.

4) They doubled down on level design by making you play through the same level 2x, just backwards the second time. I remember FEAR getting blasted for this back in the day too.

5) You don't get to use the iconic character (Dante) until the you are going back through the stages again. Meaning, you got a new shiny but you get to drive it on the old track.

Given these things, I'm guessing the game just kinda sucks. Happens but what can ya do? I never saw a negative feedback that mentioned the art style or look, as a matter of fact it seems most people loved the graphics. (Many mentioned the cinematics as being really good compared to the actual game.)

All these things considered, the problem it seems is they spent too much on art and not enough on everything else. Graphics matter, don't get me wrong. (Hell, I'm a 3D artist in the games industry, of course they fucking matter!) but the gameplay *has* to come first. I don't know what this is so hard for these AAA studios to understand.

Old 02 February 2013   #5
Well the good news is Capcom can still consider the future of DMC, Street Fighter, and Resident Evil, since it is sitting on a LOT of money .

If they snag even a few of the supposed 500 creative minds Dreamworks is giving up.. Imagine the magic that can occur!

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 02 February 2013 at 12:26 AM.

Old 02 February 2013   #6
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: If they snag even a few of the supposed 500 creative minds Dreamworks is giving up.. Imagine the magic that can occur!

RE with Leon replaced by a Swedish talking animal with a Scottish accent and cheap pop humour? DMC with Dante's quips replaced by fart jokes?
Not sure I'm entirely sold on the idea

Old 02 February 2013   #7
Wink

Originally Posted by ThE_JacO:
Would you watch a HK or Malasyan martial arts/rush movie like The Raid if all the characters were replaced with the cast from Twilight? I don't think so, not even if the storyline and acting were upped a notch in exchange.

They are Indonesians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Raid:_Redemption

But I understand the confusion, we are alike.

Old 02 February 2013   #8
Ops.
I'm familiar with the difference, I work with enough of both to know not to confuse it and where both are (had crew from Jakarta as well), but I was genuinely convinced it was a KL flick for some reason.

My bad, and apologies if anybody was offended by the confusion.

Old 02 February 2013   #9
I played this new DmC and couldn't put it down until I had completed my first playthrough. I intend to play it again on a harder level.

The art direction was fantastic. I loved the character and world design. Vibrant color palette. It's always refreshing to play a mainstream high budget game that isn't obsessed with slaughtering middle easterns or drug dealers. Slaughtering demons is much better.

Terrific, fitting soundtrack.

It was incredibly playable and well paced. Combat is not as deep or as challenging as previous games, but it was intended to be more approachable for non-fans, so your mileage may vary (and is at the core of the fans' issue with this game, not just the hair).

The characters are appealing and the story is engaging. Not Shakespeare, but as far as video game stories go, it's up there.

Oh, and spoiler alert, his hair doesn't stay black. It's a prequel.

Capcom and Ninja Theory deserves success for this one. Too bad selling a million in the first month is considered a failure in this business.

Old 02 February 2013   #10
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: RE with Leon replaced by a Swedish talking animal with a Scottish accent and cheap pop humour? DMC with Dante's quips replaced by fart jokes?
Not sure I'm entirely sold on the idea

Hahaha.. I see what you did there..... I'm sure you understood what I meant.. But I see what you did there.

Your Kung Fu is strong.

Old 02 February 2013   #11
Originally Posted by fahr: I played this new DmC and couldn't put it down until I had completed my first playthrough. I intend to play it again on a harder level.

The art direction was fantastic. I loved the character and world design. Vibrant color palette. It's always refreshing to play a mainstream high budget game that isn't obsessed with slaughtering middle easterns or drug dealers. Slaughtering demons is much better.

It was incredibly playable and well paced. Combat is not as deep or as challenging as previous games, but it was intended to be more approachable for non-fans, so your mileage may vary (and is at the core of the fans' issue with this game, not just the hair).

The characters are appealing and the story is engaging. Not Shakespeare, but as far as video game stories go, it's up there.

Capcom and Ninja Theory deserves success for this one. Too bad selling a million in the first month is considered a failure in this business.

It's not a question of whether anybody liked it. Capcom's crisis is that they needed a LOT of people to like it... a LOT more from the looks of it.

I think a "safer" direction (because for better or worse I tend to go with "safe")... is to just push the elements of DMC that seemed like analogies to Private Eye and Detective films. I remember cinematics set in Dante's "office" that seemed to inspire the vibe of a light-hearted Detective story...

So if you push that you can have Dante as something like a Bladerunner who goes after demons and things... .I think that would have been a nice direction.. with maybe more emphasis on evidence gathering... "following the breadcrumbs to the baddie"...

But oh well.. what's there is there.

Old 02 February 2013   #12
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: and basically made him a Twilight emo character

LOL best quote ever! That pretty much sums it up!

It's Capcom who destroyed a character that the fans love. Not the other way around

Old 02 February 2013   #13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGvrwY1qUBU

I guess they got a 12 year old kid to write the dialogue.

Old 02 February 2013   #14
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGvrwY1qUBU

I guess they got a 12 year old kid to write the dialogue.

Lol. And yes, I've been dragged to enough twilight films by the girlfriend, I think I'll give this one a miss.

Old 02 February 2013   #15
Originally Posted by fahr: I played this new DmC and couldn't put it down until I had completed my first playthrough. I intend to play it again on a harder level.

Just out of curiosity, have you played any of the previous games?

Thread Closed share thread