DreamWorks Animation Layoffs Could Reach 500 Amid Slate Pullback

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by badsearcher: To my knowledge the 3d industry keeps expanding every year so if you're not in film, what are your alternatives? Advertising for instance is full of CG (more and more every year) and the game industry keeps expanding year after year and consequently CG with it. How viable are these areas of exploration?

I don't think they are faring much better. Sweat-shop conditions and 80 hour working week for low pay seems to be creeping in everywhere.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by wildjj: I don't think they are faring much better. Sweat-shop conditions and 80 hour working week for low pay seems to be creeping in everywhere.

And so shall it continue. Like they say in The Incredibles, When everyone is super, no one will be. That is what is happening in many facets of the industry. This will continue to drive prices and wages down until some form of equilibrium is met. That equilibrium will more than likely be far lower than many might expect when you factor in a global market.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by teruchan: And so shall it continue. Like they say in The Incredibles, When everyone is super, no one will be. That is what is happening in many facets of the industry. This will continue to drive prices and wages down until some form of equilibrium is met. That equilibrium will more than likely be far lower than many might expect when you factor in a global market.

Totally agreed. Things will get much worse before they get any better, if ever.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: Totally agreed. Things will get much worse before they get any better, if ever.

Just observed a similar thing happening here in Asia, and not just in CG/VFX... Prices here are going up... as prices in the West are being driven down.

It's happening in liquor... it's happening with consumer electronics (particularly tablets and phones).

It's like everything is levelling to reach an intersection point. I can imagine this will also lead to a leveling of lifestyles as if everything becomes similar everywhere, we will all start living the same way.

Lifestyle changes... that's another part of the solution I guess... Some of us will just have to live differently as times change.

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread