DreamWorks Animation Layoffs Could Reach 500 Amid Slate Pullback

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by badsearcher: Ok, let's think, film and definitely Dreamworks isn't everything.

To my knowledge the 3d industry keeps expanding every year so if you're not in film, what are your alternatives? Advertising for instance is full of CG (more and more every year) and the game industry keeps expanding year after year and consequently CG with it. How viable are these areas of exploration?

You seem to be forgetting its the amout of small firms keeps expanding and large firms shrinking and budgets getting smaller along with pay . Over the past 10 years of vfx in real terms wages have gone down while everything has got more expensive. That shows the industry has had its peek and now on the downward back curve.

b

02 February 2013
Sorry if this common knowledge, but which Dreamworks film flopped recently?

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by fahr: Sorry if this common knowledge, but which Dreamworks film flopped recently?
Rise of the Guardians is what they are calling a flop since it only made $100 million in the US and $197 million elsewhere.

02 February 2013
"Budget $145 million[4] Box office $297,860,409[5]"

I'm sorry, but what is going on? This doesn't even include eventual home video sales.

What kind of profit margin does something need to not be a "flop"?

I didn't know that was the movie they were referring to cause I thought it was a hit, have you been to Deviantart in December? The ubiquity of fanart was overwhelming.

Edit: Ok, I see now, apparently what got Dreamworks spooked isn't their profit but apparently that it had a Relatively weak opening compared to previous animated Dreamworks features. Even though it made plenty of money since its opening.

Businesspeople are very jumpy these days if you ask me.

" http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3574&p=.htm "

Last edited by badsearcher : 02 February 2013 at 03:32 AM. Reason: after a little digging.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Pookyjuice: Unfortunately, the other two are not Rhythm and Hues - which makes it four. Hell of a month.

Pixomondo and Scanline?

Perhaps this will continue until some big budget movies will fall. A handful of big shops will be left and they'll ask whatever fees they want.

Last edited by Mic_Ma : 02 February 2013 at 04:53 AM.

02 February 2013
I'm beginning to think that when Forbes says "best company's to work for".. that it is only relevant to executive level positions. >.<

02 February 2013
In order to make the bugdet back a movie needs to make 2-3 times the money spent.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by katisss: In order to make the bugdet back a movie needs to make 2-3 times the money spent.

If you don't mind, could you share your sources? Which is it, 2 or 3? I mean, when you're talking about dozens of millions of dollars, that makes for quite a big difference between 2 and 3.

02 February 2013
Depending on the additional marketing costs.
Theaters get a share as well. I dont think there are public sources on these contracts.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by badsearcher: If you don't mind, could you share your sources? Which is it, 2 or 3? I mean, when you're talking about dozens of millions of dollars, that makes for quite a big difference between 2 and 3.

well you have the main production costs, but then you have marketing which is stupid expensive, you have theaters that get a very small chunk of the returns as well, it adds up. The saving grace for a lot of movies is DVD sales. That said, there's a lot of crappy movies being made now, moreso than in the past.

Usually low budget movies in the 90s would be all dialog and some extremely cheap action scenes, you couldnt afford vfx. Now the cheapest low budget movie wants Lord of the rings VFX for 10 grand.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by badsearcher: If you don't mind, could you share your sources? Which is it, 2 or 3? I mean, when you're talking about dozens of millions of dollars, that makes for quite a big difference between 2 and 3.

Its complex. Google is your friend and you need to read and follow a lot of sources.

http://io9.com/5747305/how-much-mon...o-be-profitable

Two to break even and three to make a good profit is the rule of thumb.

02 February 2013
Advertising is sometimes between 50 - 100 million dollars for "tentpole" films and cinemas keep as much as 45% of total box-office sales.

Still it does seem like "Rise of the Guardians" probably performed well enough even before factoring in BluRay/DVD sales.

That said, I do think the lay-off has more to do with the forced gap that will appear in Dreamworks' slate due to issues not with "Rise of the Guardians" but with "Me & My Shadow" not being given a greenlight (and hence there will be a long period of "nothing to do") and I think there could be an issue about trying to dig a trench with savings dollars because confidence is low for "Turbo".

You can't just make another film to take over the work sched... I think that aggressive approach by Dreamworks is what could also be coming into scrutiny.. That they kept aggressively greenlighting things that "weren't as good as the Pixar product".

"Rise of the Guardians" could be a huge hit and they'd still be doing the 500 man lay-off because the causes for the lay-off are probably not related to "Rise of the Guardians".

02 February 2013
"Me & My Shadow" not being given a greenligh"

It's been greenlit, very very recently.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by badsearcher: "Me & My Shadow" not being given a greenligh"

It's been greenlit, very very recently.

Originally Posted by Deadline Hollywood, February 6, 2013: DreamWorks Animation may cut up to 500 employees in the next few months, sources tell Deadline. Thatís potentially 23% of its 2200-strong animators, tech, and support staff, axed in the wake of a flop and key release date changes for Mr. Peabody And Sherman (moved off the 2013 calendar and into 2014) and Me & My Shadow (sent back into development). Those calendar shifts created a workload deficit for the studio, which will have to trim production staff as a result.

Source: http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/dre...mation-layoffs/

Unless something happened in the last 48 hours, I think "Me & My Shadow" is pretty much not greenlit.

02 February 2013
I apologize, I was getting mixed messages and misunderstood.

Thread Closed share thread