DreamWorks Animation Layoffs Could Reach 500 Amid Slate Pullback

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
DreamWorks Animation Layoffs Could Reach 500 Amid Slate Pullback

Quote:
SizableĒ layoffs are coming. Itís just a matter of how many, and when. DreamWorks Animation may cut up to 500 employees in the next few months, sources tell Deadline. Thatís potentially 23% of its 2200-strong animators, tech, and support staff, axed in the wake of a flop and key release date changes for Mr. Peabody and Sherman (moved off the 2013 calendar and into 2014) and Me & My Shadow (sent back into development). Those calendar shifts created a workload deficit for the studio, which will have to trim production staff as a result. Just last month, DreamWorks Animation made Forbesí Best Companies To Work For list."

http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/dre...mation-layoffs/
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

02 February 2013
Sad news. There are going to be a lot of very talented artists out on the job market, between this and the rumours circulating about some of the other companies. I really some of the studios that are still left can absorb some of them. This is going to be a very interesting year in VFX.

02 February 2013
This is indeed sad news and hopefully everyone affected will be able to land on their feet.

I picked a really bad time to graduate with a degree in visual effects and digital media.

02 February 2013
Very sad news, this has been quite a week for our industry... I wonder whats next.

02 February 2013
UPDATE
Rummor has it that that most people being let go will be from the show "Shadows" and "Pea Body", while people comming out from "Turbo" will be fazed out.
Please take this with a grain of salt..

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 02 February 2013 at 09:41 PM.

02 February 2013
At least this is merely a cycle. Dreamworks isnt going anywhere unlike others.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by evolucian: At least this is merely a cycle. Dreamworks isnt going anywhere unlike others.

There is no such assurances in this industry. If one movie under performing did this much imagine what will happen if the next two bombs.

Best of luck to those effected by the layoffs. Man what a depressing week in news it has been.. :(

02 February 2013
The rumor on the grapevine is that we should keep a close eye on
at least to well known fx vendors.
I will post more if I get confirmation from other sources.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: The rumor on the grapevine is that we should keep a close eye on
at least to well known fx vendors.
I will post more if I get confirmation from other sources.

Doesn't take a lot of roaming here to know you're talking about Rhythm & Hues... unless it's another house (which makes it 3).

I can see this more as aftershocks from the 2008 Financial Crisis.

02 February 2013
Unfortunately, the other two are not Rhythm and Hues - which makes it four. Hell of a month.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Pookyjuice: Unfortunately, the other two are not Rhythm and Hues - which makes it four. Hell of a month.

Jesus Christ even more bad news incoming? :(

02 February 2013
Ok, let's think, film and definitely Dreamworks isn't everything.

To my knowledge the 3d industry keeps expanding every year so if you're not in film, what are your alternatives? Advertising for instance is full of CG (more and more every year) and the game industry keeps expanding year after year and consequently CG with it. How viable are these areas of exploration?

Last edited by badsearcher : 02 February 2013 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Trying to stay positive

02 February 2013
This is why I avoid these industries. I can't guarantee a stable job no more then a soldier can guarantee his life on the front lines of battle.

02 February 2013
oh

Sad news......

02 February 2013
the year just started and its not looking so pretty

Thread Closed share thread