Dealing with Anxiety

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #16
PaintedFox,

There is a joke on gamedev.net "I spun AIDS" whenever someone asked about a health / illness issue on public forum (specially gamedev.net is where game programmers hang out, not doctors...).

But this is something you need to talk to your doctor and/or psychologist. Yet, I'm going to be blunt on both side. It is sad that some doctors is a 'drug' pusher. And yet drug/medication is not the answer to everything. Same to so called "psychologist". Some is now end up just a person listening to your real life problem, saying "uh... um.. ah.. oh... ok..." for an hour and that's it. And maybe gave some advice you can read from cheap 'motivational' book.

I understand how you are feeling as i too suffering from this, all the way to the hand shaking level at one time. All I can say is that you need to read a lot of book, do a careful research, and try to take one life at a time.

Anxiety or any mental illness is a problem to have, I understand, as I'm suffering from one myself. The interesting part is that if someone drunk or accidentally run over your leg and you are paraplegic, nobody ask you to 'man up' and just walk. The good thing is that people are slowly to accept invisible illness, nobody is going to ask a nut allergic person to 'man up and eat nut or you go hungry'. It is sad that if something happened to the way our brain was structured when we are are kid/young (mallable brain moment) and yet people just tell us to 'man up and drop that anxiety thing'.

MRI and brain studies are improving, so maybe one day we will know how to fix this problem better. There was a Dr Phil episode involving a latest MRI scanner. While I always take Dr Phil 'advice' with a grain of salt, the latest technology shown involving certain mental/brain disorder was interesting. The brain DOES behaving differently than normal.

There was a research on Jungle Boy, Genie, and I also observe how Lauren speaks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genie_(feral_child) <-- there is also a documentary on youtube
http://www.drphil.com/shows/show/1785 <-- google this at youtube yourself. illegal for me to link it :-)

Looking at how all doctors and psychologist, in a sense, failed to improve Genie, at least to normal level, shows that once something happened to your brain, even if no difference to normal eye, fixing things is not as simple as 'man up and change yourself'.

Look, I don't have the time to write a full thesis here, but my advice is, I feel for you and know how you feel, but you need to read a lot of book and try to find solutions that fit and does improve, no matter how small.

Cheer up

Old 02 February 2013   #17
Originally Posted by imashination: so you can see how easy you have things by comparison.

You know, I don't think that actually works that way. I mean, there are people today right now who exist in slavery, sex slavery even, is that going to stop you from complaining about the Dreamsworks layoffs? Of course not. I think another way of comprehending relative life difficulty with the ultimate aim of controlling fear and anxiety is necessary.

Old 02 February 2013   #18
Originally Posted by imashination: Obviously I meant to visit the Anne Frank museum......

Make sure you do it before you visit the coffee shops. Those stairs up to the Anne Frank room are a bit of a challenge even with a clear head.

When we were there last time it was with the school trip from Ireland. We did the museums and boat trips and eventually 4 of us managed to escape the gestapo (our school teachers) and headed for the coffee shops. But none of them would serve us! Said we looked under 18 (we were all 16-17). We swore blind we were all over 18 but they weren't having any of it without ID. If we had known that before we left Ireland, we could have had fake ID's made up for a few Euro each.
To make it worse, we could smell the aroma of quality produce wafting from dimly lit rooms while we stood arguing and pleading to be let in.

So we did what all Irish teenagers do when all else fails. Drank booze and got into fights with the English. So it wasn't a total dissapointment.

Old 02 February 2013   #19
imashination has the best advice. It is too bad most brainwashed people would say they wouldn't do a "drug" with the side effects of giggling and eating junk food. Yet they will turn around and take a prescribed drug that is 1,000 times harder with the possible side effects of permanent anal bleeding and muscle spasms.

You forget the other (quite common among regular users) side effect of psychological problems, otherwise known as brain damage. But anyway it affects people differently but its not nearly as harmless as those like yourself make out. Especially on teenagers.

When we were there last time it was with the school trip from Ireland. We did the museums and boat trips and eventually 4 of us managed to escape the gestapo (our school teachers) and headed for the coffee shops. But none of them would serve us! Said we looked under 18 (we were all 16-17). We swore blind we were all over 18 but they weren't having any of it without ID. If we had known that before we left Ireland, we could have had fake ID's made up for a few Euro each.

Of course they wouldn't, do you think people are stupid! lol another thing you find quite a bit in Holland and Germany is they are very relaxed about regulations but when one is defined they stick to it pretty rigidly.

Last edited by conbom : 02 February 2013 at 09:54 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #20
Originally Posted by conbom: Of course they wouldn't, do you think people are stupid! lol another thing you find quite a bit in Holland and Germany is they are very relaxed about regulations but when one is defined they stick to it pretty rigidly.

It's funny how people think though. Alcohol which is clearly worst is OK. There would of been zero fighting if he had succeeded in his original goal.

Old 02 February 2013   #21
The fact is, even people without any mental disorders often have a hard time dealing with the emotional and psychological aspects of trying to excel in a creative endeavor.

In your quest to become the kind of creative talent you aspire to be, you often face self-doubt and self-loathing, and it can feel like you're perpetually feeling lost and confused, not knowing how to grow and improve in the most effective way possible, while fearing you're just wasting your time running in circles and never getting anywhere. And to rub salt into the wound, it seems like others have it all figured out--effortlessly turning out one masterpiece after another, while you sit there green with envy and jealousy and self-hatred. To make it even worse, no matter what you do to try to be motivated, you seem to lack the discipline required to sit down and really work hard on your artistic development, because you are always feeling discouraged and when you keep turning out one piece of crap after another, you really wonder if you should even continue or just give up altogether.

Guess what? At least half of the students I've ever taught felt that way. In fact, they took my workshop because they felt that way, since my workshop addresses this issue head-on, breaking the process of artistic development/growth down to effective, doable steps, focusing on the most critical elements that has the greatest impact on a visual artist's development, while steering students away from pitfalls and bad habits that waste time and get them nowhere as artists.

If people without mental disorders can have such a hard time dealing with discouragement, lack of motivation, self-loathing, confusion, etc, then it's not hard to imagine how much worse it is for those who have have additional mental problems that would make them even more severe.

For some, art can help them heal and provide a sanctuary, but for others, it can be a source of emotional pain and frustration, aggravating their condition. I think it varies so much from person to person that only you and your doctor can assess if art is even a good thing for you. If all it does is make you feel worthless and depressed, then maybe it's a good idea to back off for a while and focus on things that actually make you feel good--things you really enjoy and don't create additional pressure in your life. And if art gives your life a sense of purpose and you need it feel like your life is worth living, then you need to learn how to effectively grow/develop as an artist so that you're not doing it the wrong way and wasting your time while not seeing any results, which only makes you feel worse about yourself.

A lot of people struggling with self-loathing, insecurity and envy tend to forget that even the best artists out there started out drawing stick figures. Those who learn/improve fast tend to have a good instinct for how to be smart about it, instead just blindly work hard using ineffective methods. That is what most people lack--the understanding of how to learn/practice smart so they improve fast, and that is what I teach in my workshop. Another aspect is discipline. Those who make it, all had the discipline to push through hardship, while those who never get anywhere, balk at the amount of learning/practice that is required for someone to become proficient at any chosen endeavor, and they can't even sit through one learning/practice session without getting bored/discouraged and give up, choosing to go watch TV or play games instead.

The most important thing that makes a difference is you MUST LOVE WHAT YOU DO, even if you suck at it. If you enjoy the hell out of the process of creating regardless of the outcome, then you have a much higher chance of making it, because you're doing it for the right reason--the love for the act of creating itself. If you only want the result but hate the work involved, then why even do it in the first place? Instead, choose something where you enjoy both the result and the process--you'll live a much more fulfilling and happier life.

Old 02 February 2013   #22
Originally Posted by Geta-Ve: Unless you have an actual condition that affects the chemical balance in your brain, anxiety is simply a state of your own doing.

Thusly, it can be undone by yourself, with some effort.

Or, more bluntly, suck it up and do your work.

It comes down to whether you want to get paid or get fired.

what a crass thing to say.

Old 02 February 2013   #23
Originally Posted by conbom: .....Of course they wouldn't, do you think people are stupid!.....

We were kinda hoping the coffee shop managers were.

Old 02 February 2013   #24
Originally Posted by BigPixolin: It's funny how people think though. Alcohol which is clearly worst is OK. There would of been zero fighting if he had succeeded in his original goal.

Rarely were truer words spoken.

Old 02 February 2013   #25
Originally Posted by francomanko: what a crass thing to say.

Most often the blunt and honest truth is the best thing a person can hear. We dont know enough to make a hugely informed decision, it could be because of a genuine chemical imbalance or he could be plain old overreacting and worrying about things.

When put under stress, everyone, even the most experienced people who should have nothing to worry about, will worry. What if this happens, what if I cant do what they ask, what if they dont like what I make. It happens to everyone; its mostly a question of how much you allow it to affect you in your daily life.

I get a bad belly when waiting for a long slow expensive render to come back. I worry about what will happen if I run out of things to say or I cant answer a question when im teaching. In many ways the answer, or at least part answer for this, is learn how to give confident answers and replies, even when youre unsure.

Renders come back with artifacts? tell the client its fine and they will be ironed out in post. Cant answer a question? blag it, then go look up the answer yourself later. If you can deal with things when they go bad, then you worry less about what will happen if they do.

Watch this www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbiRYAHTOiw

Old 02 February 2013   #26
Originally Posted by PaintedFox: Hello everyone;

I was wondering if anyone here has dealt with anxiety issues relating to their art, and how they dealt with it.

I'm just coming out of an extended period of anxiety disorder, so while I've got the basics down (basically, know what your brain is doing, and chip away at it one small step at a time), any advice more specific to the industry would be appreciated.

You just have to retain this basic belief that "You can always make it look better the second time".

So if you don't like something.. really don't like it... show it to others.. and if you can fix it... you can consider that sort of the "second time" you're working on it. If you lose it because of a disaster that wiped your hard disk? Do it again... but better.. That's the "second time".

If you really don't like it? Throw it away.. Start over.. That's the "second time".

In Art it is rare to get it right the first time anyway. At Pixar there are supposedly two unwritten rules:

1) "First Renders are Always Allowed to Look Bad".
2) "You Cannot be Afraid to Fail".

You might think of those as Art Anxiety coping statements as well.

Old 02 February 2013   #27
Hey OP, can you please give examples of how your really feeling when your faced with certain situations.

What goes in your head?

Are you having panic attacks?

Do you feel like your over thinking?

Anxiety can mean different things to different people.

Old 02 February 2013   #28
Originally Posted by imashination: Most often the blunt and honest truth is the best thing a person can hear. We dont know enough to make a hugely informed decision, it could be because of a genuine chemical imbalance or he could be plain old overreacting and worrying about things.

Did you even read the first post properly? I doubt someone would use the term "anxiety disorder" if they were just "overreacting" or "worried" about things, and being blunt isn't exactly a tactic I'd imagine many psychologists or psychiatrists recommending for dealing with someone who is vulnerable.

The lack of empathy shown by some here is pretty staggering.

Old 02 February 2013   #29
Originally Posted by leigh: Did you even read the first post properly? I doubt someone would use the term "anxiety disorder" if they were just "overreacting" or "worried" about things, and being blunt isn't exactly a tactic I'd imagine many psychologists or psychiatrists recommending for dealing with someone who is vulnerable.

The lack of empathy shown by some here is pretty staggering.

And yet, you are the one who's usually very blunt with others in this forum.

Old 02 February 2013   #30
Originally Posted by goodshoes: And yet, you are the one who's usually very blunt with others in this forum.

Being blunt in a discussion about CG is not even remotely the same thing as being purposefully blunt with someone who is a vulnerable psychological state, in the misguided belief that it's somehow the right approach. But I'm pretty sure you're well aware of this but are just using this tenuous link with the word blunt to have a go at me.

And this isn't the first time you've posted comments having a go at me on this site either. Pot calling the kettle black, mmm? Don't come here and derail this thread because of some personal beef. I'm still pretty sure you're someone who has been banned before; don't go drawing too much attention to yourself.

Thread Closed share thread