Washington Post: US County considers IP policy that takes ownership of students Work

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #16
Originally Posted by Michael5188: I've read this sentence a few times and it still doesn't make any sense to me, what are you trying to say exactly? (specifically, what does "pay taxes over the money they make" mean?)

I was just being flippant to be honest. I just meant the 'we the taxpayers must pay for this song and dance that is education' sentiment forgets the benefits of living in an educated society. Plus, well-educated students who keep their IP's and make a living out of them will pay taxes that more than repay the costs of their education.

Turning schools into a business is a step away from this process because they will maximize their own profit rather than the quality of life in society. Of course corporations are not bad and I am in favour of free trade; but there is a difference in corporations giving goods in exchange for money and corporations benefiting from selling bad loans to naive students (or naive house-owners). Making money of the ignorance of others is vile and education is where students should learn as much as possible to have a proper life in a rich society instead of being fresh saplings, to be digested by corporate cows.

Last edited by JeroenDStout : 02 February 2013 at 07:05 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #17
Originally Posted by Meloncov: So that they can control the image of the school. Some kid makes, to take a recent real world example, a blog critical of the school lunches, they can make a copyright claim and have the blog pulled.

If the kid had started that blog and posted on it for a school research, then yes, they could, but if he does it at home for himself on his pc and his own time, then no.

Read it again. Work done FOR the school or on the school premises, no matter the time (yours or lesson/teaching time). Not EVERYTHING you do while enrolled in their courses.

On one hand they probably want to avoid potential IP claims over displaying students work, or use of teacher materials and curriculums after the teacher left, which is understandable, on the other they are probably going way too wide and generic with it.

Old 02 February 2013   #18
My kid would not participate in the art program or would require the teachers and admin to sign a release that I (as the legal guardian) own the IP. Everyday day that passes in the screwed up school systems, I beg my wife to homeschool our kids.

Looks like the board just took it off the.agenda

Last edited by XLNT-3d : 02 February 2013 at 03:21 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #19
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread