Washington Post: US County considers IP policy that takes ownership of students Work

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Washington Post: US County considers IP policy that takes ownership of students Work

Quote:
"A proposal by the Prince George’s County (Maryland) Board of Education to copyright work created by staff and students for school could mean that a picture drawn by a first-grader, a lesson plan developed by a teacher or an app created by a teen would belong to the school system, not the individual."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...d5ee_story.html

NOTE: Caveat Emptor. PG county is one of the most shadier counties in the DC area..And that is saying a lot.

Here is the policy
"“Works created by employees and/or students specifically for use by the Prince George’s County Public Schools or a specific school or department within PGCPS, are properties of the Board of Education even if created on the employee’s or student’s time and with the use of their materials,” the policy reads. “Further, works created during school/work hours, with the use of school system materials, and within the scope of an employee’s position or student’s classroom work assignment(s) are the properties of the Board of Education.”"

Nasty piece or work right there.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 02 February 2013 at 08:02 PM.

02 February 2013
That begs the question of why would a school even want copyright to work created by students?
I mean, most of the work is worthless to schools and just gets dump every couple of years. At least that's the way it is over here, it just takes up space and gets in the way.

02 February 2013
I recall a similar ruling many years ago that allowed universities to own the rights to anything developed there. A few stories did the rounds regarding UK inventors invited to visit American universities to talk about, and further develop their ideas. They had no idea that they had handed over all the rights until it was too late.

Creative folk really need to tread carefully now. Every bastard is slipping in little clauses that snatch away your creations if you go near their premises or websites.

Still if folk are willing throw away their freedom to privacy for the sake of a $5 pizza coupon, what do they expect?

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by grrinc: .....A few stories did the rounds regarding UK inventors invited to visit American universities to talk about, and further develop their ideas. They had no idea that they had handed over all the rights until it was too late.

Surely that couldn't have appled to visitors (which is what the inventors would have been) to the unis? How can uni terms & conditions for employees and students be applied to visitors?

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Dillster: That begs the question of why would a school even want copyright to work created by students?

So that they can control the image of the school. Some kid makes, to take a recent real world example, a blog critical of the school lunches, they can make a copyright claim and have the blog pulled.

02 February 2013
Well it's not that bad...

I mean.. isn't this similar to exposing children at an early age to "Employer-Employee Relationships on Intellectual Property"?

I agree it can be abused... but my point is.... Isn't that what already happens if you make something in the context of your Employer's work?

I think the law as written is supposed to be limited to the context of it being made as part of School Employee Workload or as Student Assignment Workload.

If anything, the law should come with a waiver/statement that the school is required to repeat during enrollment, or that they have to get consent from parents regarding this.... so that Parents can advise their kids about it...

"Now Junior, what you give them is just a rough and wrong version of your idea.... You save the REAL one for when you're older."
:P

02 February 2013
If i am a student going to a public school payed for by my Parents, what i create using the school's services should be mine to keep. This is so stupid. It may be there resources but it would still be my creation and my work. Considering how expensive schooling is, sheesh.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Allen1: If i am a student going to a public school payed for by my Parents, what i create using the school's services should be mine to keep. This is so stupid. It may be there resources but it would still be my creation and my work. Considering how expensive schooling is, sheesh.

who ultimately pays for the schools resources? we do. taxpayers.

this is utter crap... i hate reading stuff like this, just makes me so angry.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by tswalk: who ultimately pays for the schools resources? we do. taxpayers.

this is utter crap... i hate reading stuff like this, just makes me so angry.

Taxpayers are notorious for not deriving any merit from living in a well-educated society where businessmen pay taxes over the money they make off their own IP, thereby funding a new generation of potential intellectuals.

02 February 2013
The schools, AT MOST, should be allowed to use the materials for self promotion (think 5 yr olds drawings in a commercial for educational development). Past that sort of use, this should be illegal.

02 February 2013
I think of a friend of mine who's spent the last two - three years of his life developing a unique and high-end science curriculum ("You're stranded on an island, you've got only these basic tools - how do you make a radio out of a frying pan and wire? How do you boil water using just the sun? how do you create a basic anti-septic?"); and he's terrified that it's going to be taken away from him, even though it's been his personal time and his personal money that's funded much of it.

02 February 2013
You aren't a slave of your employer, I strongly suggest before ever signing a contract with anyone, that you have them strike anything claiming ownership of anything you do in your freetime from it. During work time, well that's another thing.

I think if they want to claim ownership over all students work, then they should also have to pay royalties everytime a copyright is infringed on school property. Every drawing of Pokemon Characters, Spider man, they have to pay.

Doesn#t this somehow conflict with the Fair-Use Doctrine?

02 February 2013
I saw this a couple of days ago and was floored. These guys went to a Apple sponsored event talking about using Apple products to create teacher plans. Apple suggested the school take ownership of the teachers work so they could sell it to other schools.

The board took it to the next level to extend it to students works.

Teachers I can understand, but students is absurd. They are NOT employees and it sets a HORRIBLE precedent for indoctrinating children into the idea they do not own anything they do. Interesting for a school systen that is supposed to instill such things as taking ownership of things.

At the end of the day, schools in the U.S have enough things to solve. This is not something they need to concentrate on.

Personally, I have already gotten involved, and will donate funds to litigating this if it goes through.

Visual Engineering, Inc.
Creative Communication | Industry Consultation

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by JeroenDStout: Taxpayers are notorious for not deriving any merit from living in a well-educated society where businessmen pay taxes over the money they make off their own IP, thereby funding a new generation of potential intellectuals.

I've read this sentence a few times and it still doesn't make any sense to me, what are you trying to say exactly? (specifically, what does "pay taxes over the money they make" mean?)

www.MichaelSime.com

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by BoBoZoBo: I saw this a couple of days ago and was floored. These guys went to a Apple sponsored event talking about using Apple products to create teacher plans. Apple suggested the school take ownership of the teachers work so they could sell it to other schools.

The board took it to the next level to extend it to students works.

Teachers I can understand, but students is absurd. They are NOT employees and it sets a HORRIBLE precedent for indoctrinating children into the idea they do not own anything they do. Interesting for a school systen that is supposed to instill such things as taking ownership of things.

At the end of the day, schools in the U.S have enough things to solve. This is not something they need to concentrate on.

Personally, I have already gotten involved, and will donate funds to litigating this if it goes through.

Seriously well done, it's good to hear someone somewhere is doing something.

But I'd also state that too even for teachers it's absurd, and if you follow the logical chain of events that follows from this... it's going to be a world where everything is owned, and everything is on a perm lockdown. And by keeping teachers in this loop, you'll force it indirectly on students. It's like say some in your company it applies to, others not, it wont work.

And the S__t thing is schools in florida, broward and dade, have been hurting for a long time, and they'll see this as a way to make money, and forget the consequences that it will cause down the line. I hope some are / have the vision to see for than a few feet in front of their own wallets.

LukeLetellier, I know many that are in that position, and don't think just because they are 'big names' that they are all legit, far from it. Cameron has been sued god know how many times. I know one author particularly, who has taken the steps of getting copyright lawyers involved, --before-- it's shown, talked about, or anything else, I'd suggest you pal does the same. Lockdown.

Welcome to a brave new world.

Thread Closed share thread