Weta To Reboot the Thunderbirds

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
I couldn't imagine a better choice with their model making skills and passion for the franchise. Thunderbirds was all about the freakishly awesome models for many of us.

Something tells me they'll knock it out of the park, can't wait to see the result.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Thunderbirds... hmmm.... Well... I'm not so sure about the limitations that the "core design language" brings.

I would have pointed them towards doing BIONIC SIX .
Now there's a property with similar family centric values but LESS limitations.

Bonus: They won't even have to change the theme song!

Heck, forget WETA, we have reps here from all the other big CG and VFX houses.
You guys can go get Bionic Six and you and WETA can have a head-to-head when your shows come out.

Come on.. Who's afraid of the boys from New Zealand?

I. LOVED. The Bionic Six!

How about the Mighty Orbots Reboot?

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by DashCourageous: I. LOVED. The Bionic Six!

How about the Mighty Orbots Reboot?

Yeah I know! We can only hope the members on this board who are from Animal Logic, Dreamworks, Digic, etc. are calling up their bosses! LOL.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Yeah I know! We can only hope the members on this board who are from Animal Logic, Dreamworks, Digic, etc. are calling up their bosses! LOL.

If only it was that easy

You could also safely bet your arse that the rights are already optioned by somebody who has it on ice for when a market trend emerges that re-values the property, or who simply got it in some bundle somewhere if it's a stalled/constrained property.

02 February 2013
Why do they have to keep messing with old programs, you know Thunderbirds is brilliant, as was Capt. Scarlet, Or the Bionic Six. You can watch them today and they are still good. Reading the comments you can see the the word love is in the Past!

I suppose the point is, why the hell mess with something done well and devalue the original, and the memories of times gone by.

Create New. You know it's really not that hard.

02 February 2013
I don't know about you, but a lot of those shows I can definitely NOT watch the originals.
Some fans for nostalgia value can, but a lot of young people who've never seen them before wouldn't connect.

Reboot them and you not only get a chance at the young audience, but you also loop in the parents somehow and stand a higher chance it will be the program at that time that people watch. That's the logic behind TV reboots, and it's far from flawed, even if it's annoying when they do it to (and butcher) a show you liked as a kid.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Come on.. Who's afraid of the boys from New Zealand?

Hardly anyone, well if it came to handball that is.

The recent Worldchampionship which we danes shamefully lost the finals at had Austalia in the ground play.
Now.
Australia ended last in this championship, they came to the championship after a 2 match playoff with new zealand where they won I think it was 80-20.
As mentioned other places, I am confident I can recute people from this site and train and work the group up to a point where we could even beat the New Zealand handball team. Seriously.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: If only it was that easy

You could also safely bet your arse that the rights are already optioned by somebody who has it on ice for when a market trend emerges that re-values the property, or who simply got it in some bundle somewhere if it's a stalled/constrained property.

Probably... I glanced once at a "Representation" firm's portfolio where they had something like 80 or so undeveloped concepts. Some of them would be the sort of "iced" properties you mentioned. It's insane the overhead anyone would have to pay to keep them "warehoused".

Originally Posted by cojam: Why do they have to keep messing with old programs, you know Thunderbirds is brilliant, as was Capt. Scarlet, Or the Bionic Six. You can watch them today and they are still good. Reading the comments you can see the the word love is in the Past!

I suppose the point is, why the hell mess with something done well and devalue the original, and the memories of times gone by.

Create New. You know it's really not that hard.

*Points at WETA*
They started it!

Oh and what Raffaele said too... Although it is true that with the vast amount of creative bases, making an original show is not that hard.

I mean.. even the Bionic Six looks like it might have started life as being inspired by Thunderbirds.

Originally Posted by gkmotu: I am confident I can recute people from this site and train and work the group up to a point where we could even beat the New Zealand handball team. Seriously.

Anything is possible against the All Blacks unless it's Rugby.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Probably... I glanced once at a "Representation" firm's portfolio where they had something like 80 or so undeveloped concepts. Some of them would be the sort of "iced" properties you mentioned. It's insane the overhead anyone would have to pay to keep them "warehoused".

Hardly anything actually, which is why they are stashed and not active.

Very often the protection and bargaining power of just having it somewhere has a value in litigation or negotiation potential that could be very high compared to the non-existent cost of buying some of those properties (many come with bundles, liquidations, take overs, mergings and so on).

Keeping one on ice is basically free.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: Hardly anything actually, which is why they are stashed and not active.

Very often the protection and bargaining power of just having it somewhere has a value in litigation or negotiation potential that could be very high compared to the non-existent cost of buying some of those properties (many come with bundles, liquidations, take overs, mergings and so on).

Keeping one on ice is basically free.

Ah.. so....yeah.. I guess Theory of Relativity applies if a property is not popular (ie: The value of a property is relative to value assumed by others looking at it). And if you picked it up during a "Fire Sale" it's just something you keep in your cabinet for when the time may be right.

And even after all that... you can still do something original anyway!
I could write a series about a Bionic Family fighting a Zombie Holocaust..... I bet that would get picked up somewhere.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by SebKaine: Well i could argument for hours in front of a fresh beer that SpeedRacer is a pure master piece. Even if i'm kinda isolated its one of the most original and inovative movies i've seen in a while. The Editing is just stunning , the fact that they assume at 100% all this kitsh and crazy art directing is also fantastic. Like i often said to my friend ( who mostly find the film ridiculous )
The last time i've seen such elegant transition and inovative camera movment was in The good the Bad and the Ugly ... Speed Racer is pure genius !

Sorry for this little off topic run , good news for the Thunderbirds by the way !

Cheers

E

Yeah, I think Speed Racer is a pure genius fun!

The color coding, the character, the visual, the portrait shot (which is a homage to manga/anime).

I think Thunderbirds should be given to Laika pictures and let them did it Coraline / Paranorman style!

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: Reboot them and you not only get a chance at the young audience, but you also loop in the parents somehow and stand a higher chance it will be the program at that time that people watch. That's the logic behind TV reboots, and it's far from flawed, even if it's annoying when they do it to (and butcher) a show you liked as a kid.

I just watched the Total Recall redo with Colin Farrell. And I can see now what Raffaele is talking about. This redo kind of taps into your "imagined memory" of the original in some ways. It's like when you think about how "cool" the original was.. you see aspects of that literally in the new picture.

I still stand by my assessment that Total Recall Remake would have failed a "Retail/Marketing" assessment, because the fact you're the second Total Recall picture always works against you.

But if you sit down and see it... It's really remarkable. The acting is better, the setup with "the key" is a lot more elegant than the setup in the first. The action set pieces are better. Colin Farrell is better at playing the Quaid/Hauser role.

A smart studio can look at this film, see the result, and still come to the conclusion that this team should be allowed to do another picture.

These are one group of guys who probably could have used something original to work with.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Colin Farrell is better at playing the Quaid/Hauser role.

In your dreams...

The whole character of Quaid/Hauser IS a 'bull in a china shop', and that's why Schwarzenegger, was absolutely the right choice.

That's of course unless you some emo-metrosexual, then you'd 'love' Farrell.

As for the script, that was a POS, no understanding of the original, poorly written, poorly executed, poorly plotted. No understanding period. Just hype, and you like so many other rolled over for it, like good all emo's do....lol

Last edited by cojam : 02 February 2013 at 07:58 AM.

02 February 2013
Little bit too much aggression there Cojam. It'd be cool if you could avoid being so insulting to other forum members, especially when there is literally no base whatsoever there to be confrontational towards him.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: Little bit too much aggression there Cojam. It'd be cool if you could avoid being so insulting to other forum members, especially when there is literally no base whatsoever there to be confrontational towards him.

No problems, just having a bit of fun with him, I sure he realized it was all in good humour.

Thread Closed share thread