Weta To Reboot the Thunderbirds

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Weta To Reboot the Thunderbirds

Quote:
"
Britain’s ITV has ordered 26 episodes of “Thunderbirds Are Go!” which will combine CGI and live action (but prehaps not supermarionettes) and air in 2015."

http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/thu...AwAADQAAAB22CQA=
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

02 February 2013
Excited but why Weta? Are London's studios too busy atm?

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: (but prehaps not supermarionettes)

Then why make it??

Really, really hope they're going to go with marionettes.

www.MichaelSime.com

02 February 2013
I wonder if it might suffer the same as the Speed Racer (film).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_Racer_%28film%29

Re-make something that appeals to a limited number of viewers in the fist place and then change it so drastically from the original that it doesn't appeal to that audience any more either...

So it sinks.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by circusboy: I wonder if it might suffer the same as the Speed Racer (film).

Lest we forget..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D_ZaLBYM2k

Even that movie wasn't truly THAT bad, it just wasn't good, either.

I think a reboot done with the right sensibilities could work. Retro is still cool.

Something that pays tribute to it the way Pacific Rim is paying tribute to all those genres would be fun.

02 February 2013
Gerry Anderson did try his hands producing a CG animated series in the early-mid 2000s with New Captain Scarlet - it didn't do very well.

The reason why this isn't being done in London isn't because the studios are too busy, it's that it's being produced by a NZ production company - Richard Taylor and Peter Jackson are both huge fans of Gerry Anderson.

It's being produced by Pukeko Pictures, which is co-run by Richard Taylor and does kids television series. The animation work will most likely be done by Weta Productions - a separate company from both Weta Workshop and Weta Digital.

Each of these companies is it's own separate thing, they're not different divisions or departments within a larger parent company - although I believe they do refer to each other as sibling companies.

I'm not sure if anything has changed in the last few years, but Weta Productions have always had their own separate pipeline from Weta Digital - despite both companies doing CG animation work.

02 February 2013
2015, that's just great. Another wait forever, I'll be at least 19 before that movies comes to the cinema.

I wish they would keep movies secret until about a month before they hit the screens. I'm still pissed off at having to wait until July or August for World War Z.

Am I the only ones that hates the idea of waiting until retirement age to see a movie?

02 February 2013
Even as a huge fan of Thunderbirds, I don't see this succeeding. Re-booting old franchises seemed worthwhile when the franchise was just one generation removed from the original, or when the franchise was so indelibly burned into the popular consciousness that its age became irrelevant (like Planet of the Apes). I have a hard time understanding who this is aimed at. Do kids today even know about this show (and I mean the general public, not the CG and VFX geeks here)? While it's fondly remembered by old model and vfx geeks like myself, it seems to barely exist on the periphery of pop culture elsewhere.

@Daryl - I recalled that reboot (directed by Jonathan Frakes!) but had forgotten how much they tried to make it like Spy Kids or something. What people who've apparently never seen the show don't know is how adult the original storylines were. It was like an adult adventure drama (like James Bond) but with puppets. That's what made it unique. If you take away either of those elements, you end up with that awful movie.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Artbot: .....What people who've apparently never seen the show don't know is how adult the original storylines were.....

Yes but wasn't it aimed at kids and adults? My Dad says they all used to watch it back then, and buy the cards and stuff for the kids. Other serials like the "Man from Uncle" was a big hit with kids and adults, and apparently card sets, MFU badges and all kinds of junk was bought by kids.

02 February 2013
Even though there will be a cg element to the show i read Weta Workshop not Weta Digital. Am i wrong?

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by circusboy: I wonder if it might suffer the same as the Speed Racer (film).

Well i could argument for hours in front of a fresh beer that SpeedRacer is a pure master piece. Even if i'm kinda isolated its one of the most original and inovative movies i've seen in a while. The Editing is just stunning , the fact that they assume at 100% all this kitsh and crazy art directing is also fantastic. Like i often said to my friend ( who mostly find the film ridiculous )
The last time i've seen such elegant transition and inovative camera movment was in The good the Bad and the Ugly ... Speed Racer is pure genius !

Sorry for this little off topic run , good news for the Thunderbirds by the way !

Cheers

E

02 February 2013

My understanding is that despite Speed Racer's dismal box office performance, it ended up being a net win for the studio due to merchandising.

02 February 2013
What they need to do is use marionettes for the character mocap.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Artbot: What they need to do is use marionettes for the character mocap.

Andy Serk-ass will actually be tied to wires and play every single character himself, then sue the Academy for not giving him Oscars for best actor, actress, supporting actor, actress and visual effects.

More seriously, Framestore had originally gone hard after this for a long while, I think some ownership, or at least the discussion of it, was even involved.

It's a bit of a shame that such a classicaly Brit show will be taken care of on the other side of the planet.

02 February 2013
Thunderbirds... hmmm.... Well... I'm not so sure about the limitations that the "core design language" brings.

I would have pointed them towards doing BIONIC SIX .
Now there's a property with similar family centric values but LESS limitations.

Bonus: They won't even have to change the theme song!

Heck, forget WETA, we have reps here from all the other big CG and VFX houses.
You guys can go get Bionic Six and you and WETA can have a head-to-head when your shows come out.

Come on.. Who's afraid of the boys from New Zealand?

Thread Closed share thread