Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 02-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #16
Richard.S
Richard Sällqvist
Compositing Supervisor
Copenhagen, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojam
And correct me if I am wrong... but it's all that work done in India?

re: http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive.../t-1062162.html

No from what I know it's also done in London and Canada. They put most of the roto and cleanup in India, or at least they did that when I worked there a couple of years ago

Old 02-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #17
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolucian
part of why the 3D conversion is falling is because movies that are supposed to be 3D get shot in 3D the way its meant to be in the first place. Then you also have people who dont wanna pay new money for old movies in theaters. A 3D movie is an extra $3 to a ticket price of $12 to $15 depending on location. Imax is an extra $2-3. Its pricey.

Movies shot in 3D still require plenty stereo attention, and, sadly, it's still a minority of movies that are shot ENTIRELY in stereo, and the number of conversions and repubs has increased in the last two years.

The 3D conversion business isn't failing to my knowledge, not yet at least, and that this discussion is being protracted over an admin that doesn't even involve their stereo conversion facilities is kinda odd.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 02-05-2013, 12:14 AM   #18
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelOtron
They do great work. Surprised to hear this. I wonder if this has anything to do with Disney stopping production on the Star Wars stereo conversions.

Wait... they CANCELLED the stereo conversions for Star Wars?
Didn't they already show Phantom Menace in 3D?

It tanked?

Old 02-05-2013, 12:56 AM   #19
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
Wait... they CANCELLED the stereo conversions for Star Wars?
Didn't they already show Phantom Menace in 3D?

It tanked?

"Cancelled" is such a harsh word. Lucasfilm prefers "postponed."

Quote:
"Lucasfilm has decided to postpone this fall’s scheduled release of Star Wars Episodes II and III in 3D. Given the recent development that we are moving forward with a new Star Wars trilogy, we will now focus 100 percent of our efforts on Star Wars: Episode VII in order to ensure the best possible experience for our fans. We will post further information about our 3D release plans at a later date."

Old 02-05-2013, 01:03 AM   #20
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Prime Focus as a global entity doesn't seem to be doing bad enough to not be able to afford covering for RnH towards an ownership move:
http://news.yahoo.com/troubled-visu...-235424091.html

Free Maya Nodes

Old 02-05-2013, 01:04 AM   #21
DutchDimension
Think different

portfolio
Dutch Dimension
DMP/Environment Artist
MPC
United Kingdom

Seems like Prime Focus has it's eyes elsewhere.

Link.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:46 AM   #22
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Well a Quick Glance at the Box Office Performance of 3D Re-Releases shows that Phantom Menace was a "middling" 3D Re-release.

Pales in comparison to the success of "Toy Story 2" and "The Lion King" in spite running in significantly more theatres than either of the two.

Not disastrous.. but I can understand the weak motivation to go all out either.

The question is really what was the cost of the Stereo Conversion (I heard one Producer claim the cost of a conversion is pretty significant in relation to GI JOE Retaliation).

But for sure, with higher number of cinemas used, the attrition for Phantom Menace 3D is higher and again... pales against the benchmark set by Disney for TS2 and TLK.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:09 AM   #23
DuttyFoot
Expert

stephen curah
USA

they filed for bankruptcy but are in line to buy R&H

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/artic...exclusive-75991

Quote:
After April, the company is expected to be sold to an Indian company, Prime Focus, two of those individuals said. If Rhythm & Hues, which employs roughly 1,400 people, cannot find a buyer and is forced to close, it would be the latest blow to a struggling visual-effects industry, hit hard by the vagaries of tax credits offered by governments around the world.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #24
circusboy
Expert
Raonull Conover
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
Well a Quick Glance at the Box Office Performance of 3D Re-Releases shows that Phantom Menace was a "middling" 3D Re-release.

Pales in comparison to the success of "Toy Story 2" and "The Lion King" in spite running in significantly more theatres than either of the two.

Not disastrous.. but I can understand the weak motivation to go all out either.

The question is really what was the cost of the Stereo Conversion (I heard one Producer claim the cost of a conversion is pretty significant in relation to GI JOE Retaliation).

But for sure, with higher number of cinemas used, the attrition for Phantom Menace 3D is higher and again... pales against the benchmark set by Disney for TS2 and TLK.

It just goes to show that if you want to bother with re-hashing an old film in 3D ya better make sure its one people really cared about in its original form. And not something that a lot of folks went to see drawn in by of the legacy of the originals until they were then dis-allusioned with the first of the prequels. Think of it. Does anyone really have any nostalgia for Jar-Jar Binks and need to see him again in 3D?! I thought not.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #25
evolucian
Lurkmeister
portfolio
Lulu
Compositor
Vancouver, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuttyFoot
they filed for bankruptcy but are in line to buy R&H

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/artic...exclusive-75991

its business as usual. Cut your <potential> losses, reinvest capital in low cost opportunities that can pay higher dividends down the road to cover previous incurred costs and then some. Stuff like this happen, but in VFX it seems to be a guaranteed yearly occurrence, and a frequent one.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #26
evolucian
Lurkmeister
portfolio
Lulu
Compositor
Vancouver, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO
Movies shot in 3D still require plenty stereo attention, and, sadly, it's still a minority of movies that are shot ENTIRELY in stereo, and the number of conversions and repubs has increased in the last two years.

The 3D conversion business isn't failing to my knowledge, not yet at least, and that this discussion is being protracted over an admin that doesn't even involve their stereo conversion facilities is kinda odd.

Yea, natural stereo still needs processing, but not starting from zero, which is a significant time save. IMO they screwed up by not starting with the original trilogy in 3D. Thats what everyone would pay to see. I would anyways. I never caught the original trilogy in theaters since i wasnt born, nor followed re-releases specifically.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #27
cojam
Banned
portfolio
chris
varible, Afghanistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolucian
its business as usual. Cut your <potential> losses, reinvest capital in low cost opportunities that can pay higher dividends down the road to cover previous incurred costs and then some. Stuff like this happen, but in VFX it seems to be a guaranteed yearly occurrence, and a frequent one.

Someone's getting it, and isn't overly focused on starwars, and by the way wasn't that exactly what the CEO of Digital Domain did, bankrupt the company, then bid a lowball price on all the assets at auction. Same game, different names.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #28
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread