Space Pirate Harlock Trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

05 May 2013
Thanks for the trailer link. I enjoyed that immensely. Some quirky stuff very well placed, this is going to be great to watch when it is released!

05 May 2013
Wow, that trailer was masterful. Whether or not the movie is going to be great (which I really hope it will be), that trailer was just so well done.

05 May 2013
This has the potential to be very cool, it looks like it will be as effective in the action department as Appleseed was.

The ship is crazy in a good way:

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?cli...39&tx=104&ty=93

07 July 2013
Sorry to necro this thread, but Yahoo Japan is streaming 12 minutes of the CG Harlock movie in Japanese with no subtitles. http://special.movies.yahoo.co.jp/d...20130723220808/

07 July 2013
I have issues with the eyes, both lighting/shading, and movement.

The characters seem to move their heads with no "lead" from the eyes... and then a lot of them seem to have eyes darkened out.

Odd cinematic angle choices.... the "pay-offs" don't seem to occur... Director seems afraid of facial close-ups.

Still, the overall quality is pretty good.

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Odd cinematic angle choices.... the "pay-offs" don't seem to occur... Director seems afraid of facial close-ups.

I actually seen a few of them and i didnt get to watch it all. The director is wise not to do close ups. The texture resolution required would make for even more work.

I thought what i seen was pretty amazing. It reminded me of the work Blur do but in long form and yes it may not be as high quality but that doesn't make-or-break a film. I don't follow the scene of cg animated films much but i like that there is something in the same style as Advent Children.

Even if most of it was motion capture, its a colossal amount of work, apart from a few deficiencies here and there, the major one being less attention to secondary characters (understandable) it really looks good. Hope it is a major success so more films like this will come along. For Toei Animation to do this for only 30 million is pretty amazing.

07 July 2013
Thanks for posting! That was awesome!
M dot Strange dot CoM

07 July 2013
Looks cool but outdated.

07 July 2013
It is weird watching how CG in Anime has is so stiff. Hand drawn anime is well known for squash and stretchy styles of motion with many cliches, including bulging eyes, plastic flexible motions and so forth. Yet in CG it is as if all of those typical cliches are totally foreign concepts.

On the other hand, most American CG is very good at maintaining this 'cartoony' style in CG using a lot of techniques which are available in most off the shelf software packages. One animator I often think of in this regard is Michael Sormann. I often slow down his videos just to admire the secondary and tertiary animations in his work.

A lot of these CG anime productions must be spending a lot more on the FX side than the animation side. Not sure why.

The film was apparently animated by TOEI and is going to be distributed by GFM.

http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/toeis-...captured-by-gfm

Last edited by DotPainter : 07 July 2013 at 08:36 PM.

07 July 2013
Funny how the protagonist does a 5.10 level free climb just to go see a ship land. And when he gets up there half the town is there already-none of whom look the 'athletic' type...

But the FX are pretty awesome-I'd be tempted to get it just fer them.
It is about as close as we get to Blur or Digic gettin-it-on for two hours...

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by DotPainter: It is weird watching how CG in Anime has is so stiff. Hand drawn anime is well known for squash and stretchy styles of motion with many cliches, including bulging eyes, plastic flexible motions and so forth. Yet in CG it is as if all of those typical cliches are totally foreign concepts.

On the other hand, most American CG is very good at maintaining this 'cartoony' style in CG using a lot of techniques which are available in most off the shelf software packages. One animator I often think of in this regard is Michael Sormann. I often slow down his videos just to admire the secondary and tertiary animations in his work.

A lot of these CG anime productions must be spending a lot more on the FX side than the animation side. Not sure why.

Because money.

Especially with this style where you can use motion capture on that budget. It would be suicide not to use it. The face and fingers have to be all hand animated. You also require decent cloth and hair simulation just to sell a character. See why the pirates are mechanical and have their face obscured. Not saying they changed the source material, just that it is a big bonus not to simulate cloth/hair, and animate faces.

30 million wouldn't get you far in the US or UK for an animated feature of this scale.

Its takes time and human labor to make it work. In 2d there is an animator, and an inbetweener if they are lucky. In 3d.. well, im sure you know that the animator is just part of the equation.

07 July 2013
Well 12 minute preview does pick itself up after the 3 min and 30 second mark.

I think there's a lot of good stuff going on here.

07 July 2013
For those wondering, this is also (I think) the first major Japanese CG animated film that does not use Shade 3D.

http://www.facewaretech.com/facewar...with-autosolve/

This article mentions that Captain Harlock uses technology from Autodesk.

I guess if you can't beat them, you join them.

07 July 2013
Looks good. I guess will wait for the subbed (or even better, "dubbed") version to see if it's compelling. I personally like watching dubbed films more than subbed... I get why subbed is more authentic but as a human I relate to sounds more than text.

07 July 2013
Thanks for posting; seems very promising ... own the complete DVD (French) version of Albator78.

... guess it was a matter of time for Captain Harlock to come to the big screen in CG.

reply share thread