Space Pirate Harlock Trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 01 January 2013   #1
Space Pirate Harlock Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw6y...player_embedded
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 01 January 2013   #2
Can't help but say OMG! The trailer looks impressive and I'm glad to see a CG feature that's not Pixar or Dreamworks with talking animals. I really hope this stands up to the legendary manga and anime that it is.

The arcadia looks awsome and looks original. Lets hope this is going to be a great space opera and maybe more anime or manga be adapted this way. Wonder if this is going to be voiced by Japanese Seiyuu?

Looks like it being made by Toei who's haven't done a CG on this scale, hope they do a good job.

Old 01 January 2013   #3
love those space lasers.

Old 01 January 2013   #4
Love that anime series. Looking forward to seeing this.

Old 01 January 2013   #5
This project is directed by Shinji Aramaki, so I'm hoping that it's not another Starship Troopers: Invasion if you know what I mean. In other words, "PleaseDon'tSuckPleaseDon'tSuck."

Old 01 January 2013   #6
Originally Posted by pomru: This project is directed by Shinji Aramaki, so I'm hoping that it's not another Starship Troopers: Invasion if you know what I mean. In other words, "PleaseDon'tSuckPleaseDon'tSuck."

It already looks like there won't be any of the flat shaders that appeared in Starship Troopers Invasion - or at least the darkness of space will help to hide them or add more volume to shadows.

Those will be an improvement. I still have concerns about the voice-acting (if the narrator is any indication).

Old 02 February 2013   #7
nice, they keeping the dark enviroment

Old 02 February 2013   #8
I dig the retro styling, like the 2D Yamato remake.

It's crucial for CG anime that they retain the actual movement and style, like how Pixar basically do a 3D version of classic squash and stretch. Without it the films are static and lifeless like a poorly done 80's videogame cutscene.

The models in this look excellent and suggest it could actually go that way in the animation too. Hard to tell at this point.

Old 02 February 2013   #9
It looks good, but that narration is horrendous. Here is another video, though in French, which shows some different scenes from the movie, and some sword fighting.. It also includes an interview with Leiji Matsumoto.

http://video.baomihua.com/yoyohoo87/14224974_P3P31
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 02 February 2013   #10
Originally Posted by teruchan: It looks good, but that narration is horrendous. Here is another video, though in French, which shows some different scenes from the movie, and some sword fighting.. It also includes an interview with Leiji Matsumoto.

http://video.baomihua.com/yoyohoo87/14224974_P3P31

Interesting ...uh... video site... hehehe.

Old 02 February 2013   #11
That looks pretty good! (At least its not a talking animals movie...)

I would love to see a longer trailer...

Old 02 February 2013   #12
This looks like great fun!

The atmosphere is very attractive. Not sure about the skull ship shot, that looked a bit weird.
Looking forward to it.

Old 02 February 2013   #13
who is working on it?

Old 02 February 2013   #14
Toei Animation is working on it. It's a Japanese Anime Studio who normally do traditional 2D ainmation such as Dragon Ball Z and One Piece. Hopefully they can pull it off as I've said before, they haven't done a CG feature of this scale before. The budget is 30 million US Dollars, relatively small compared to films from Pixar or Dreamworks but the trailer looks great, you can find the info here-

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/i...-open-this-fall

Last edited by Darkherow : 02 February 2013 at 03:07 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #15
This looks fantastic! Hopefully the full feature won't be a let down. Question though, is this english or japanese acted? Because the english narrator was HORRENDOUS. lol

reply share thread