Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 01-31-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
sismik
Frequenter
M.Bedard
Canada

Apple stop selling Mac Pro in Europe

We often talk about Mac pro here, so here is a weird news. I hope this will motivate Apple to come out with new Mac Pro soon

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/31...y-requirements/

Old 01-31-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
ThePriest
Bad Ass

portfolio
Stuart Townsend
Environment artist
Berkeley, USA

In Q3, Intel is rumored to release the E5 10 core Xeon (and 15 Core E7), which alone as a single processor would outperform a 12 Core MacPro. My point being, these systems are almost obsolete at this point and make for a very poor investment.

Last edited by ThePriest : 01-31-2013 at 06:47 PM.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
Hilt
Reality? Not worth it.

mj
3D/VFX/Post/Sherpa
InfoFrame
Helsinki, Finland

My interest towards Apple is fading. I even went back to using 10.6.8, and will install Win8 to my next MBP. Desktop(s) will be some Windows-based hardware (I've two eye-candy MacPros, guess I'll try to rebuild the interiors from scratch). The iOS-lookalike OS combined with the price range is not that attractive to me anymore. It's going to be a bitch selling and buying software, but as a bonus I get to use Fusion again.

All this unless Apple comes up with some pure magic again. I hate to break up with Macs, it's like ditching a dear relationship because she went locos.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
rsquires
Expert

portfolio
Richard Squires
designer/director
reg
Melbourne, Australia

I live in hope. I just want a box to work, I don't like to tinker so buying a Mac suits me fine. Yes you pay more but I can live with that. My only hope is for the next Mac Pro to have the sickest Nvidia card option there is. So much stuff relies on CUDA now (Adobe suite, Resolve, 3D Coat) they would be mad to not capitalise on it. If this doesn't happen then I will look elsewhere.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:22 PM   #5
ThePriest
Bad Ass

portfolio
Stuart Townsend
Environment artist
Berkeley, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsquires
I live in hope. I just want a box to work, I don't like to tinker so buying a Mac suits me fine. .

I want a box to work too, count me in. Hardware that works is the best kind!
Wait, are you suggesting that my hardware doesn't work, because it wasn't chosen by Apple?

Old 02-01-2013, 12:18 AM   #6
Venkman
Don't cross the streams

portfolio
Peter Venkman
Frederick, USA

I'd love to see Apple get back in the pro game in a super bad ass way. I built a windows machine to run C4d, and the sky didn't fall. So far it's nice.

If Apple impresses me, I'll jump back in a heartbeat. As of right now though, I've learned that my software runs fine on windows.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:37 AM   #7
rsquires
Expert

portfolio
Richard Squires
designer/director
reg
Melbourne, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePriest
I want a box to work too, count me in. Hardware that works is the best kind!
Wait, are you suggesting that my hardware doesn't work, because it wasn't chosen by Apple?

Not at all. Just that I am not a hands on, in the guts of the machine person. I'd go hackintosh if you didn't have to get your hands so dirty. The nearest I get is exchanging Ram and installing Blackmagic cards. Hackintosh fills me with dread although I know it would be much better to run graphics intensive programs.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Apple = horrible value for money.

For the price of virtually any Apple computer - notebook or desktop - you can get 2 equivalent Windows machines with the same hardware specs.

With Windows 7 64-bit being a zippy, stable and secure OS, I honestly don't understand the attraction or appeal of Apple products.

Does Apple make nice PC/notebook casings? Sure. But so does Samsung and a dozen other PC manufacturers.

My 2 Cents...

Old 02-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #9
tswalk
Expert

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

oh i think the gloves just came off...

Old 02-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #10
LuckyBug
Building worlds

portfolio
Star Lord
DMP Environment Artist
MPC London
London, United%2BKingdom

I personally found that apple haters never actually tried some of their products, I'm not saying they are the best on the market but when I see comments like their value for money is horrible and win7 is stable I just jiggle.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
derOesi
Expert

portfolio
Stephan Haidacher
Hamburg, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBug
I personally found that apple haters never actually tried some of their products, I'm not saying they are the best on the market but when I see comments like their value for money is horrible and win7 is stable I just jiggle.

ok i think i's time for some kerosine

sorry but i have a totally different experience... (and yes i've worked with Apple, too)

i never had a crash of the OS (win7) itself, heck i can't remember when i last shut my machine down (its in sleep (when unused) like for a year now, switching between work/games/whatever) i even had it rendering (SI, Arnold) on one or two cores for weeks (big stills), while i played BF3 on the same machine.

imho it can't get more reliable than that...

granted, on the Win side you need luck or a lot of research to select really fitting components, while apple selects them for you (for about a 100% price increase). Which of course clearly has stability benefits (or should have), but also makes upgrading difficult, and costly.

(i didnt have much luck with companies like Dell either, at some studios we had no problems at all, at others we constantly had to fight crashes, hardware failures, or simply strange unpredictable behavior )

my portfolio - www.shaidacher.com
indie project - moldgame.wordpress.com

Old 02-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #12
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DePaint
For the price of virtually any Apple computer - notebook or desktop - you can get 2 equivalent Windows machines with the same hardware specs.

Would you care to point out some examples? Ive yet to find anything cheaper which is truly comparable. ie. if youre going to compare laptops, I dont consider something comparable if its twice the weight, twice the size and only managed an hour on the battery.

If all you care about is cpu power for your money, of course, you can build much cheaper machines if all you want is render power.

Thread Closed share thread