This Is Who We Are... And What Your Film Can Be!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
This Is Who We Are... And What Your Film Can Be!

If you have not heard of FilmShortage.com yet, this is a great introduction!
We created a video to showcase the amazing short films we have featured over the last 6 months. Take a look... The next one can be yours!

http://filmshortage.com/shorts/this-is-who-we-are/

Old 01 January 2013   #2
Looks like an interesting site, Marco!

I bookmarked it to look at it in-depth when I have some more free time...

Old 01 January 2013   #3
Thanks mate!

Old 01 January 2013   #4
Just watched 'In the Pines'..great stuff and great site, thanks for letting us know.

Old 01 January 2013   #5
This looks nice.

I'm submitting REVERSION.

Old 02 February 2013   #6
I hate that sites just don't host their own video. Some of us live in a world that doesn't revolve around Youtube and Vimeo. I mean, who am I? I host all my own video. So why can't a major short film site?
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 02 February 2013   #7
Who are you? lol

Why force people to upload their video to yet another location? These services are great and help filmmakers keep track of their films from one single location. We're here to help filmmakers and using Vimeo and YouTube assures quality and flexibility, and also makes it much easier for users to follow up on the filmmakers and their work.

As a filmmaker myself I never posted my film to a site that self-hosted site, because of the painful process that I have done numerous times before, and because I simply don't trust them.

Hate to break it to you, but most people like it this way.

Enjoy the films

Old 02 February 2013   #8
Originally Posted by teruchan: I hate that sites just don't host their own video. Some of us live in a world that doesn't revolve around Youtube and Vimeo. I mean, who am I? I host all my own video. So why can't a major short film site?

You must be living in a very small world. There is no point in hosting your own video when sites like youtube and vimeo do it so much better and give you much better exposure.

Last edited by SheepFactory : 02 February 2013 at 04:33 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #9
Vimeo is very convenient for hosting videos. It allows users to embed on their own site, allows them to update it easily, is compatible with being embedded in a lot of popular sites, etc. etc. What's the benefit about hosting the video locally?

Old 02 February 2013   #10
"What's the benefit about hosting the video locally?"

The only benefit I'm seeing is that if you host it yourself then it's easier to give users permission to download the file. But that's pretty slim, especially since many people, if they're determined, can simply use keepvid or something like that to pull a video from youtube or vimeo.

Old 02 February 2013   #11
Originally Posted by badsearcher: "What's the benefit about hosting the video locally?"

The only benefit I'm seeing is that if you host it yourself then it's easier to give users permission to download the file. But that's pretty slim, especially since many people, if they're determined, can simply use keepvid or something like that to pull a video from youtube or vimeo.

And they don't really have to be all that determined considering it's so easy.

I'm curious what living in a world that doesn't revolve around Youtube or Vimeo even means.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 02 February 2013   #12
*shrug* all I know is that a lot of film festivals won't take your movie if it's been mass reproduced online.

Old 02 February 2013   #13
Originally Posted by badsearcher: *shrug* all I know is that a lot of film festivals won't take your movie if it's been mass reproduced online.

I have talked to one producer who compared YouTube vs Cannes... and his conclusion was simple:

"Cannes is the past. YouTube is the future."

Old 02 February 2013   #14
If you don't mind me asking, does this producer have a name?

Old 02 February 2013   #15
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: You must be living in a very small world.

1.4 billion people. It's not that small.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Thread Closed share thread