Harlan Ellison (Why you should NEVER work for free)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #16
Originally Posted by DanHibiki: "Fuck you, pay me" -words to live by

Haha, and depending on who your dealing with, ""Fuck you, pay me NOW"

There are no "magic" programs that make you a better artist

Old 01 January 2013   #17
Originally Posted by hypercube:
Harlan Edison invented the lightbulb and went on to make motorcycles, right?

This actually made me laugh, amazing.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 01 January 2013   #18
Originally Posted by DanHibiki: "Fuck you, pay me" -words to live by

The movie being referenced here (totally worth watching): http://vimeo.com/22053820

Great Ellison clip, btw. I was just reminded recently of one of the very few times this has happened to me. A few years ago I was asked to "donate" a piece of artwork to a big, shiny CGI hardcover art book (not Expose) and was promised a copy of the book. After many emails to the author went unanswered, I gave up (it wasn't "work for hire" and was some personal work I had laying around, so I allowed it to be used). It generated exactly zero "publicity" and I have yet to see any benefit from it at all. But I do see that douchebag author's name on CGI and "Making-of" books all the time now.

Old 01 January 2013   #19
BTW for those who didn't see it, Roberto's original typo'd thread title had "Harlan Edison", so that's where that all came from

On topic I think it's a great sentiment. But will still continue to be a problem as long as there are artists and producers. Or, anyone making something for someone else.

That said, I do think if enough people really get with it, it can stop being the way things are done by default.

Old 01 January 2013   #20
Originally Posted by hypercube: BTW for those who didn't see it, Roberto's original typo'd thread title had "Harlan Edison", so that's where that all came from

On topic I think it's a great sentiment. But will still continue to be a problem as long as there are artists and producers. Or, anyone making something for someone else.

That said, I do think if enough people really get with it, it can stop being the way things are done by default.

Daryl, Ill get you in SIGGRAPH....That I promise.
LOL.

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 02 February 2013   #21
People pushing shorts into features should definitely be watching this.

Seriously.

Old 02 February 2013   #22
Saw the whole documentary earlier after seeing that excerpt and he sure is an interesting character

Old 02 February 2013   #23
I just watched the whole documentary and I agree. He is a character and one worth listening to. Creatives in this industry should definitely watch this.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 02 February 2013   #24
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread