What gives you Hope as CG artist? (Trends/New Markets)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
What gives you Hope as CG artist? (Trends/New Markets)

With all the gloom and doom threads, I think it is time to shine some light.

SO tell us What gives you hope?

What trends have you seen that give you hope for our career path.
What advice would you give struggling artists?
What new markets you feel will only grow in the future.

Tell us, and lets keep the thread positive.
Looking forward to your comments and ideas.

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 01 January 2013   #2
Two things.The iStore, and Steam.

Those 2 alone have completely lowered the barrier for entry for game creators. Honestly, I think that the boom of smaller studios now is the same as when companies like TEAM 17, and id started.

For struggling artists, browse around developer forums. TIGSOURCE have a ton of really cool games that currently use Programmer Art. Contact the creators, and offer services to help them out on a promising project...something you can see yourself be passionate about.

Those programmers need artists, and artists need programmers! You may not be the next Notch, but you never know, you may strike up a relationship with someone that will lead to something awesome.

Old 01 January 2013   #3
I am seeing a trend of more and more visualization work being done in CG instead of photography. This gives me a lot of hope because the work is increasing for CG artists in this area of product and automotive viz. I think it's a great time to be in that type of business and it will only get better. Cheers!

Old 01 January 2013   #4
The increasing of more delivery channels in every entertainment business opens a vacuum for more content, which seems like a good indicator that its a nice career path to explore. Can't give much advice since i'm still on the looking for job status myself

Old 01 January 2013   #5
As 3D printing becomes more popular I think it'll give a lot of jobs for 3D artists. Unlike regular printers, the average person isn't able to make much useful content with it and experienced artists will be able to assist with making designs for people.

Old 01 January 2013   #6
Lately the group funding campaigns and the video game engines have been sparking my interests.

Old 01 January 2013   #7
There are many, many positives in 2013, compared to, say, 5 - 10 years ago:

1) Youtube, Vimeo and other video sites host high-quality HD videos completely for free. Putting your short-film, 6 minute CG short or work reel online has never been easier or cheaper.

2) Game Engines that used to cost 100,000 Dollars or more to license have all come down in price, and in some cases are completely free to try/use until you have something you can publish. New cheap, easy & capable engines like Unity have a thriving developer community built around them, and can publish cross-platform games to multiple platforms. Even the once oh-so-exclusive engines like CryEngine can now be downloaded and tinkered with for pretty much free.

3) Blender is starting to become a viable alternative to the expensive 3D DCC Softwares. Give it another 3 - 5 years of development - on the still clunky UI in particular - and nobody will need to buy Maya or 3DMax for anything game development or CG production related anymore.

4) Cinema4D - arguably the quickest 3D software for the solo user or small dev team from a workflow-ease and overall concept-to-completion speed standpoint - has grown up to become a real competitor to the "Big Boys" - 3DMax, Maya and so on... It even supports big daddy renderers like Renderman now. Now if only its high license price came down by, say, 50%, or if Maxon made a cheap "enthusiast" version of their software, just like the SideFX Houdini people have done...

5) Adobe has - by mistake or not - handed everyone on the internet a free Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects and Premiere Pro CS2 license. 7 years old or not, the CS2 software provided is very, very capable in daily use, runs lightning-quick on modern Core i5/i7 machines, and reduces the cost of buying a full DCC toolset by several thousand dollars. That could make all the difference for small, low budget projects created by a small team of 2 -5 people..

6) The App Stores tied to new mobile OSs like iOS and Android have brought tens of millions of new software/game users into the market, and they are buying a lot of stuff as long as the price is low.

7) Instead of downloading crappy, watermarked, rendering resolution limited or otherwise crippled demos of Autodesk DCC software, anyone can now register as a student at Autodesk.com, and instantly download a fully working version of Maya, Max, Softimage and many other AD DCC softwares for learning/tinkering purposes. Even hardcore engineering software that was previously impossible to try/access if you didn't have a lot of cash - software for engineering grade CFD, FEA analysis and so forth - can now be downloaded and tinkered with. In the past, say just 5 years ago, having easy access to these pricy-to-very-pricy engineering and DCC softwares in this no-questions-asked way would have been outright unthinkable...

8) For the first time in computing history, women are set to be playing more games than men (at least in countries like the UK by the end of 2013... your mileage elsewhere may vary). The resurgence of casual games like 2D platformers on smartphones & tablets is helping make this happen.

9) Crowdfunding sites like Kickstarter and ********* have revived the careers of many game design geniuses from the 1980s and 90s, who were kicked aside by the big game publishers in the 2000s. Not only are they making new games with crowdfunding, but they are also getting people used to becoming a "stakeholder" in WIP game projects. The path they blaze will potentially benefit 100s of small game development startups who need a couple of thousand dollars to get the ball rolling.

10) Crowdfunding has also kicked the big console makers and their walled-garden monopoly on game consoles in the nuts, with new cheapo Android consoles like OUYA and GameStick coming soon, and brilliant new VR peripherals like Oculus Rift becoming funded by gamers directly. Even previously "seriously expensive" s%+t like new, low-cost 3D Printers are starting to appear on the crowdfunding websites. So there is now hope for many to one day have access to real 21st Century digital gear without needing to be a banker or hedge-fund manager money-wise.

11) The number of free-to-play online games with optional, in-game micro-transactions is drawing millions of new - casual - gamers to the internet. Whearas you had to spend 50 - 60 dollars before to access a community of online gamers, there are now many free-to-play options to choose from, and the quality of the free-to-play games is increasing daily, as competition between them forces the developers to constantly put new, interesting stuff into their existing games.

12) In Turkey, we have cool new services like Playstore.com, where you can buy & download the very latest AAA games for PC without needing to use a credit card. Your game purchase simply gets added to your monthly internet bill. So you don't have to whip out your credit card details each time you want to buy a new game. A simple standing-order with your bank of choice to automatically pay your monthly internet bill from your account lets you breeze through new game purchases without credit-card-over-the-internet dangers & hassles.

I can probably think of more positive 2012/13 stuff to laud, but what I've written above should do for now...

Thanks for reading!

Old 01 January 2013   #8
Originally Posted by darthviper107: As 3D printing becomes more popular I think it'll give a lot of jobs for 3D artists. Unlike regular printers, the average person isn't able to make much useful content with it and experienced artists will be able to assist with making designs for people.

Not so sure it will provide jobs for 3d artists but it will certainly open the door of opportunity to people who have an interest in making / designing items and selling them.
If you think about it there's never been more opportunity to work for yourself and get your product / idea to market. Using various tools to move your ideas and learning from 3d printers / crowd funding / online CNC services / online degrees / buying materials /

b

Old 01 January 2013   #9
Amazon's POD publishing/e-publishing services--so far I have used it for two books and even with zero marketing effort I have sold books thanks to their built in promotional cycle. Their set up fee is modest. Unlike some other "vanity" publishers I have encountered I think they have at least some sincere interest in pushing the content of the users(although I dont earn enough to get a royalty check so maybe those with much higher sales arent so happy).
But I like it a lot.

Old 01 January 2013   #10
3D printing of gelatines so I can print my own Davy Jones carnival mask

Last edited by Samo : 01 January 2013 at 11:02 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread